1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Battier to Grizzlies for Thabeet, first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freeze00up, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So much for trading Shane to a contender. :-(- Not crazy about the deal until I find out what the protections are on the pick.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

wtf%#%@ 2 mega scrubs. At least there's no debate now about who gets to play.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'd REALLY like to know which draft pick we received. Memphis doesn't own their 2011 1st rounder.. 2013 1st? Way to think LongTerm, Morey. ;)

4. Mooch

Mooch Member

what ish smith was included in the trade?!

The Rockets made major changes to their roster at the trade deadline, sending Shane Battier and Ish Smith to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet and a first-round pick, and Aaron Brooks to Phoenix for Goran Dragic and another pick, according to persons close to the deals.

5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Feigen reports Ish also sent to Memphis. If true, I will be very, very, very disappointed. I know we picked up Dragic, but man... Ish showed big-time flashes.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

if ish is in the trade..

i feel horrible

7. arjun

arjun Member

Marc Stein: Rockets did their deals with Phoenix and Memphis after also going deep in talks w/Philly on a Battier for Speights-and-Kapono deal

THANK GOD WE DID THE MEMPHIS DEAL!!!!

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't know much about Thabeet, mostly because he's not good enough to play actual NBA games, which are televised. So I've been doing a little Googling on him. Here's what I've found...

"Thabeet has been a colossal disappointment since being drafted second overall in 2009, with career averages of 2.3 points and 2.8 rebounds, but just turned 24(!)"

"The 7'3'' center has had close to no success in his time in the NBA. He was taken second overall in the 2009 draft and has quickly fallen off the map, just averaging 2.3 points and 2.9 rebounds a game in very limited playing time. He's been receiving just over eight minutes a game this year, and it looks like he has no future in Memphis."

"Thabeet cannot get on the floor for serious minutes in Memphis, and it’s going to be hard to find a team willing to give up any quality in this exchange for a guy they would have to develop (the Grizzlies have given up on that). Thabeet has regressed to the point of shooting 42.1 percent this season and has a PER of 4.3. That kind of number that usually means the D-League doesn’t have much interest in you."

I'm still no expert on Thabeet, but I've put together some CliffNotes on his strengths and weaknesses:

STRENGTHS
    -Stands 7'3" tall.

WEAKNESSES
    -Basketball

Pretty impossible to get excited about this scrub. Probably best to look at this trade as swapping an expiring contract for a late first round pick. Pretty ho-hum, but at least Battier didn't leave us with (absolutely) nothing.

2 people like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great move !

We get a guy who I think will flourish under the tutelage of CD and Dream.....

..... see him becoming a major defensive/rebounding presence with court time.

And we get that pick ......not sure how protected it is. As others have already stated the pick is pretty good reason enough to do it.
    Thabeet comes off after next year, so what's the downside ?

Morey despite haviing to navigate through Yao and Tracy's injuries/contracts is maneuvering us through the rebuilding process nicely.

I look forward to yet another age of Rocket hoops ...brought forth organically not through short term reloads.

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7444440.html

The Rockets made major changes to their roster at the trade deadline, sending Shane Battier and Ish Smith to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet and a first-round pick, and Aaron Brooks to Phoenix for Goran Dragic and another pick, according to persons close to the deals.

Thabeet, the second pick of the 2009 draft, is considered a long-term project who has struggled in his time with Memphis. The first-round pick was considered the key to the deal.

The Rockets had considered sending Brooks to Minnesota for Johnny Flynn, but they opted to take the Phoenix deal instead. The pick from Phoenix is lottery protected. If the Suns make the playoffs, the Rockets would get the pick the Suns acquired from the Orlando Magic.

Brooks has struggled all season, going out with an ankle injury in the season’s fifth game and making just 34.6 percent of his shots in 34 games. He balked about his diminished role and walked out in the fourth quarter of a game, earning a one-game suspension, but said he was happy to back up Steve Nash in Phoenix.

“I’ll wait in line,” Brooks said. “That dude is a legend, MVP and a Hall of Famer. I’m ready to go be behind him and learn from him, just come in and help team. It offers me a fresh start. I’m ready to go.”

Pugs

11. RedXebra

RedXebra Member

Does trading Ish mean we'll go after Jimmer?

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

wow, two extra first round picks is incredible. Amazing work by Morey.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We must be getting another player back from Memphis, the salaries are not within 25% of each other.

14. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

Wow..I love Morey again.

15. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

i believe thabeet will surprise people, i am not very quick to dismiss a 2nd year player who was drafted #2 overall, played for a powerhouse college basketball team in the best conference in the nation, is 7'3, and fills out our biggest defensive need.

the biggest knock on the kid is that he just doesn't care, he isn't motivated to be great. well.. considering that Houston is his adopted hometown, he went to high school here, and Dream is his favorite player, he may just have needed the perfect change of scenery, and i think we offer him that.

glad to have you thabeet, prove the doubters wrong.

1 person likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Repped.

17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I was listening to local Portland sports talk and Mike Rice the Blazers radio guy said he talked to Grizzlies assistant coach Damon Stoudamire before the trade. Rice told him that Thabeet looked like a BIG stiff and Stoudamire said- "No, he's a BIG BIG stiff. He doesn't know how to play, doesn't want to work, and I don't know how we're going to get rid of him."

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The key is that we got a first round pick with this deal. Thabeet is not a good player right now (maybe better later), but this pick could be more useful than him. I like the deal.

19. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
    Sources say that HOU wanted Marcin Gortat in the Aaron Brooks deal, but PHO wasn't interested. Soon after, HOU got Hasheem Thabeet instead.
    45 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

20. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Smh, thabeet is trash and wont even see the court. What a dumb move.