1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to sign Joe Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 10, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's a matter of opinion. Nene is old, and injury prone. Capela still can't play more than 30 minutes. Black hasn't proved useful.
    Anderson can bring some post defense, but when his shooting is off, he loses confidence. If the 36 year old Johnson can get minutes, why not Wright? Integrating any player into the system takes time. If Wright is not showing anything in practice, then it's ok to bench him, otherwise giving him some useful minutes,should be useful provided if he is fit.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe you are thinking of Nurkic. The player the Nuggets sent to Portland. Nurkic is bigger than
    Jokic and as a result slower than Jokic. At least until Nurkic lost weight this past summer.

Rudy Gobert is one of the largest land masses in the NBA at 7’1.” No perimeter game to take Nene
    away from the rim. Jokic is listed as 6’10” and can take Nene out on an island near the 3-point line.
    Shooting 37% from 3 this season. Wright can pound near the rim and defend better than Nene on
    the perimeter. People are going to learn how versatile Wright is.

Capela handled Jokic well last time. Team help defense (helps). You are talking about Nene playing in the mile high
    attitude chasing Jokic on the perimeter and tangle near the rim. Leave that to Capela/Wright/Black/Ryno.
    Nene can play in the near mile high altitude in Utah against that monster in Gobert and Favors, where neither
    one is doing much on the perimeter this year.

Edited: Gobert is listed as 245 lbs. I don’t believe it. His teammate Favors is listed as 269 lbs. That’s
    more likely Goberts weight.....around 258 lbs

#682 ApacheWarrior, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha, what if you had someone read this post and ask what the Rockets current record is. They'd probably say 25-25

don grahamleone and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Man, you are cherry picking half sentences to fit what you want me to have said.

What I said is, "Shaq didn't have to back down 3-4 times."

The sentence immediately before that I explained that his go to move was a single back and that's all he needed. The entire point was that a defender doesn't get to pull the chair out because Shaq didn't have to continually back down his opponent.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Everyone talks about the Jazz vs Clippers series but this series back in 2014 he completely owned the Raptors!

D-rock likes this.
  6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I
    I'd be happy to find out that our starters are so talented, and the bench so deep, that a player of Wright's caliber is just not good enough to get time.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes....but what have you done for me lately!

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about this to get Wright time. Big line up of Nene, Calella and Wright with Harden and Paul. All lob, all day.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So would I, but Wright is likely to some minutes here and there. We just have to wait and see.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Wright probably plays tomorrow on the B2B

11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I’m sure practIce, some trust, and favoritism plays into how MDA chooses his minutes distribution. Wright wasn’t brought in to play much minutes if any, he was simply brought in to be insurance for Nene, Capela, and Black. It also allows MDA to rest Nene a bit more than he already is which is great bc you def need Nene in the PO and hopefully he doesn’t get hurt. Wright will get minutes eventually, maybe once the seeding is locked in but in the meantime get use to him riding the bench which isn’t a bad thing either, he can watch and learn in the meantime.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Remember how happy we all were?!? Good times. Let’s be positive and wish for a great postseason because with Mbah out, we are going to need every bit of life this guy has left. He hit both of his threes today and has shown some decent post-ups and passing abilities.

We know he won’t buckle under the pressure so I sincerely believe in the contribution of Joe in the playoffs where other players might show their fear or inexperience. Go Joe!

IvanLCPM, mikol13, RyanB and 4 others like this.
  13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

At the NBA level fear should never exist. I know recreational players that are so competitive they don't care who they play up against.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Depends on how you define it, but that’s a rather simplistic view nonetheless. Even Harden suffers from it. Fear of the big moment is natural.

IvanLCPM, RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  15. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

God i hope so

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

didn't miss a shot today

17. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Its time to unleash our secret weapon.
    He knows their plays like in the back of his mind and iso them to death.

jboslett likes this.
  18. OTMax

OTMax Member

There's no reason for him not to get some minutes, he at least makes the right decision, does not fear the playoffs and can get his own shot.

jboslett likes this.