1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets To Sign Danuel House

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBJr7, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't make sense because the owner is a human being and our proximity to LT affects his willingness to authorize the use of the MLE or trade players for contracts that are not expiring or risk draft picks in the latter years of Paul's contract or preserve cash that is going out to dump minimum contracts. Cap space is not the only motivator for player acquisitions.

Easy likes this.
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

If we don't use our MLE this year then this becomes an interesting point. But we almost certainly will. Anyway, Kjayp was just explaining how the cap works and why we can give CP3 money we couldn't give to anybody else, but also sign Clark/House to a minimum contract. It's kinda frustrating seeing the same "CP3 was greedy!" takes when the poster can't understand why that money couldn't have been spent anywhere else anyway.

Also we offered 4 first round picks for Jimmy Butler like 2 months ago. That would have sent our luxury tax bill SOARING. I'm pretty sure Tilman had sanctioned that move.

kjayp and Deckard like this.
  3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I've yet to see any concrete info about us offering 4 picks for Butler and anything regarding what else was attached. Frankly, it would take multiple high reliability sources for me to believe the Wolves turned down 4 picks (some of them unprotected), Gordon/Tucker and expiring contracts. If the deal on the table was Gordon, Knight and 4 protected picks, that would not really send our LT bill soaring since neither of our guys are expiring and the absence of the rookie scale contracts would at least somewhat mitigate the difference between Butler's salary and Gordon/Knight's combined $30m.

As for the MLE being used, it's not the only thing we lose when going $30m over the cap vs $5m over the cap. CP3 wanted his money, my only quip with him is he should have shown up ready to play like he's worth $35m. He has been very disappointing AFAIC. What would make his contract easy to swallow is if he were playing slightly better than last season - which is a reasonable expectation given he's now familiar with the team/offense/defense.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The deal on the table was Knight, Chriss, and four first round picks. NOT four first round picks plus some combination of Tucker and EGO. That whole thing was debunked awhile ago.

In the end, Morey offered EGO and whatever else to make the money match (probably Chriss again) + two or three first rounders (this part I forget). Tucker was never attached to an offer (as far as has been reported, but that makes sense given his defense and closeness to Harden).

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

One of Shams/Woj reported that right? I mean that's as reliable as you're gonna get imo, but it sounds so crazy that I understand it being kinda unbelievable. Let's say for a moment it is true, the difference between Knight/Gordon for one more year and Butler at a max is huge. We would have re-signed him in the summer to a 5 year max, 4 if he took a smaller deal like CP did. That's $35m in 2020-21 AFTER Gordon/Knight would expire anyway, putting us comfortably in the tax with just CP/Harden/Clint/Butler and 11 other guys needed to fill the roster. Rookie scale contracts in the mid to late 20s wouldn't do much to offset that bill

I completely agree with you on your last point though. CP's performance has not been acceptable for the money he is on. Even if we couldn't use that money elsewhere for now, it's an overpay if his performance doesn't improve, and if it declines, then for sure I think Tilman (somewhat justifiably) would stop spending and try to stay under the tax if we know it's only gonna be James and 40 games of sub-par Chris Paul for the next 4 years. FWIW, I'm still confident Paul will bring it in the playoffs. We saw it just last year, he was awesome in the regular season but stepped it up even more, the things he was doing in games 4 and 5 I haven't seen a Rockets player do before that deep in the post season - including James.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think you're not factoring in cap/LT increases and the additional income/exposure the team gets + the golden cash cow of possibly winning. The Warriors have done what they've done by surrounding 2 superstars and 2 all stars with small contracts and accepting some LT pain. We can do that once we don't have Knight/Anderson leaking large sums of money in exchange for nothing. IMO even if Tilman were not interested in victories and only interested in profit, that's not a bad deal vs where we are now just on a commercial basis.

I hope you're right about CP3. I genuinely miss last season's CP3.

EDIT: on the trade offer, one of those guys vaguely reported that 4 1sts were offered with no details on exactly what was attached and what the conditions were on those picks. There was even a denial in the media that 4 picks were offered IIRC. @ROXTXIA is saying it was Knight, Chriss and 4 1sts (thanks for the infor @ROXTXIA) but again there is a vast difference between 4 protected firsts, Chriss and Knight vs what we're talking about.

#246 Mathloom, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

I've pointed this out sometime ago elsewhere. People kept saying that CP's contract didn't affect the cap situation as if it would have no influence on how we could get players. But it affects the LT situation and Tilman's pocket. That in turns affects how we acquire players.

Mathloom and bulkatron like this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why does it take so long to deal Knight, Chriss and convert House contract?

2-year 3 million contract for House

There is no reason to keep Knight and Chriss for so many months. Unload them with 2 First picks.

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Salary comparison by million
    Paul = 35.6
    Durant + Boogie = 35.3
    Klay + Draymond = 36.4

Age comparison:
    Durant 30
    Boogie 28
    Klay 28
    Draymond 28

Health comparison
    Paul 60 games a season player

fattz, Easy and deb4rockets like this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

How about you total what they will be paid next year.

topfive likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just more reasons to hate his contract for me. Hated it then and hate it even more that he once again proved he is a part-time player raking in one of the highest full time players' salary.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly.

ilias likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Albert's analysis on House's upcoming contract situation is pretty thorough. Lots of tweets on it.

joshuaao, TheRealAllpro and D-rock like this.
  14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Well we were comparing the cost of having Knight/Gordon and Butler going forward. Whatever the cap numbers in future years, having a third max contract given to Jimmy Butler for 4/5 years would have been way more expensive than the contracts of Gordon/Knight considering they would expire 2/3 years earlier. That's the simple point.

I guess I'm wondering what you are debating here, I was pointing out how the salary cap works to the other poster, who seems to think CP3 taking a 4 year max has any sort of effect on us signing Danuel House.

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Right so what you are all saying is CP3's contract has near 0 effect on what we do and never will in the future. Clear.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

It’d cost Tilman as much as $12M this season. Scary!

luxury tax is scary for this season. How about next season?

Scariest thing is the hot market in July.

17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

In regards to what you were complaining about, yes. It has 0 effect.

jboslett likes this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman's tax budget is so tight. There will be a huge effect between 2019 and 2022.

19. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We can get out of LT next year if we need to, it just takes getting rid of Knight. He'll be an expiring and much easier to move.

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

This season, there are about 20 expiring contracts (between 11 and 20 million dollars) that are unmovable so far.

You will figure out after giving Gordon, Rivers and House new contracts.

Scary thing is that Rivers and House are in the July hot market.

amaru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.