1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to hire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 26, 2016.

?

Doyou agree with the Rockets decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as their new head coach?

1. YES

152 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. NO

639 vote(s)
    80.8%
  1. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I would bet KJ McDaniels is a goner. He will be a very good trade piece IMO. Sucks because I think he would have been great under Van Gundy. He could have played the Andre Roberson role, but even better.

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Honestly, defending some of the idiots that attack morey, and even attacking statistical methods in general, is definitely a full time job.

However, no intelligent being would pay us to do this. Convincing stupid people they aren't right about something is never worth the investment.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yawn. It gushes over Curry as a creator, but then overlooks Harden as one. That's a joke. Look, fault the Rockets for D'Antoni, fault them for Harden's usage, fault them for Windows Vista for all I care, but don't bring that crap in that Harden cannot emulate a Steve Nash of sorts. Curry gets free on illegal screens and makes insane shots, but let's not talk about him like he is the best PG of all time. I don't even think he is the best Warrior player of all time.

I'm not in love with this hire. I don't think anybody is or should be. Honestly, I said this to top_five earlier, I think hiring D'Antoni allows Morey to trade for good defenders who are poor shooters (or hell, use the ones we already have). This makes it so that while their efficiency is lowered, the Rockets will create more possessions and overcome it. It isn't the greatest strategy, and to be fair it isn't the newest one either, but it is a decent one. The Rockets are really good in transition, when the offense is forced to run it turns every play into a fast break style play. Not the worst way to go about it... Then again, cracking down and preaching defense is probably a better way.

4. Jtoocheap

Jtoocheap Member

D'Antoni quickly got rid of Corey Brewer in NY because he wasn't going to give him playing time. I don't think trading for defenders is in the future. The guy doesn't care much about defense. His peers called him out for not even scouting other teams when he was coaching the Knicks. He also has really struggled anytime he didn't have complete locker room harmony. I don't see him being successful in Houston. He could embrace Beverly's defense and raise his value. It will be interesting. Have to figure Dwight is gone. Also, Harden needs to come into camp in shape because D'Antoni has short practices. When he was in Phoenix Grant Hill said that practices were sometimes as long as 45 minutes.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ronnie Brewer :grin:

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The mere fact that your premise stems from Morey being infallible causes you to lose this right away.

There have been REPEATED criticisms of his tactics (star chasing), (claiming coaching makes little to no difference-close games being a coin-flip), that it is bind boggling that after the results speak for themselves some people decide to swing through the jungle on testicles. Claiming that this has anything to do with "Morey haters" is just a false narrative much like the fans that came here just for Lin. Some people are stupid I agree, but at this point the defenders of Morey on a lot of his stances look like fools. I like him as a GM, Les is a loose cannon but a part of Les's anger stems from Morey selling him on a losing strategy that required puppeteering and hiring of Mchale. Morey at least cares imo, Les just wants to sell tickets but I can't overlook his flawed approach.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Marcus Thornton back? Hahaha :) Sorry I'm not buying they looked at Silas with serious interest, just what they might have made it look like to others.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dan Toney makes Silas look like a star coach

9. i3artow i3aller

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. basketballholic

#Finalizing

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

What if...Les is changing his mind after seeing this poll? :p
    :(

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Funny thing is that the team will find some shooters, and the ROX will win some games and then all of a sudden D'Antoni is a savior.

Interesting what good players will do for a coach.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McHale sought after good shooters for more than 3 years with mixed results

not that easy

A savior can only be someone who can get us to the Finals or at least WC finals again

Too much to ask of Mike Dan Toney

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I didn't say LowKeyMt would be back. I just believe that he would do well in a fast-paced offense that required shooters. If anything, MT would probably not sign here unless the playing time was there, which it isn't. He was pumped to sign with us (as was I), but he was disappointed with how everything played out. From rotting on the bench until Kevin remembered he had a streaky shooter hanging out, to inconsistent minutes for guys who couldn't shoot, and finally being traded (along with our resident "Super Role Player") to Detroit. He'll find minutes elsewhere.

As for Silas, you don't need to "buy" anything. He's respected throughout the league as one of the underrated "thinkers" on the bench. Moreover, he's thought to be a players' coach. It's just a matter of time until he follows in his legendary father's footsteps. As reports mentioned, he was strongly considered for the Rockets' coaching vacancy. He'll do well. His resume and grooming up to this point is impressive.

Again, for now, the Rockets took the route of going for a proven name, and from what I heard, the decision wasn't as cohesive as you'd think. One vision takes control based on a fairly obvious, front office hierarchy. I'm not too thrilled with the choice, but I understand it. With Mike D, you know what you're getting on offense, and fingers crossed, our assistant coaches will provide some defensive padding. WIth this season's debacle, signing a head-coaching rookie doesn't look so good for a semi-rebuilding team and the expectations for a roster with a top-5 player. A former Rocket(s) may very well be sitting next to Mike this season. That's developing. One would need a release; the other just needs a call.

Personally, I was hoping for a JVG return, but it sounds like there were complications that had nothing to do with years and figures. There's always going to be an issue of pride and control, especially with the new brand of head coaches who have control of the action on the court, as well as the movement and management of a roster. Owners/GMs in the league aren't always proponents of the Pop/Doc/SVG coaching model.

I can deal with Mike D's offense, but I'm hoping, somehow, that we build in some mid-range jumpers into the offense. When we sign a legitimate, starting PF, we don't need a Channing Frye type. James would do much better with a younger David West type of pick-and-pop guy.

One thing that I can respect about Mike is that he pretty well-liked by players in the NBA. Sure, he had a terrible time with the Lakers, but as we all know by now, some of those guys had trouble accepting their roles. (Sorry, Dwight)

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I hope you're talking about the better Bird here Codman :grin:

17. basketballholic

Get a big that will run pick-and-pop at the three point line, not clogging up the of the key.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p3kCO-6afdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any chance Battier joins the staff? This video shows a few things. A) Battier is clearly smarter than Mike D'Antoni. B) He understands being a player in a fast pace offense. C) Battier knows what defense is D) Battier is willing to correct MDA when he is wrong.

Who is a younger David West in the league today? Maybe Millsap, that ain't happening.

Edit: Here are a few positive articles from very intelligent writers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...offs-show-how-mike-dantoni-changed-basketball

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mike-dantoni-may-be-second-best-but-he-can-lead-the-lakers/

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080501

#558 treyk3, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The same damn thing as the scarecrow from Oz...

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike D'Antoni comes home to NBA world he helped create