1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets think Posey could be one missing piece

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fanwater, Jul 4, 2008.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i don't feel so bad being a rook and having so many posts...at least my posts are supportive...

2. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Posey makes absolutely sence. Maggette/Ginobili - Battier/Posey hmm i guess some people dont get it do they.

T-Mac needs rest he is no longer a Orlando Magician meaning in this match up he dont need to play 48mpg when he can play 32mpg and still win.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why would we not need Posey simply because we already have Battier? There is this thing called depth. What swingman on our bench is better than Posey? Hell, we don't even have any wings on our bench with size.

Boston had Pierce and Ray Allen...and they still felt the need to add Posey (granted for much less). And i would argue that they wouldn't have won the title without him. I don't think Miami would have won without him either.

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Also the article saids "Rockets believe Posey could be one missing piece"

It never said Rockets think Posey "IS" the missing piece, but just 1 missing piece.

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree with the others who say Posey would be a nice addition, but we could still improve our roster more, with maybe an upgrade in our 3rd best player.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Very well written Rockets 4279 and Icehouse. I feel Posey can complement Battier.He still retains his athleticism along with his game.A 3 year contract for part of the MLE would be good. I doubt if he would come back to Houston for nothing less than the entire MLE and like we all know Hoopsworld's credibility is zero. I still feel he will stay with the Celtics unless they get a better player.

7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I just have a feeling Morey has nothing really to lose in offering him the full MLE and to atleast force Boston to pay up or else... This is why they now want Maggette if they are forced to pay the entire MLE to someone, then they will atleast have future finacial problems keeping Posey. For the Rockets it's a lateral move in terms of screwing up someone else and trying to improve the team even if we dont sign him. I also think Rockets fear San Antonio will land Maggette this is why Morey would offer Posey full MLE since he knows San Antonio is not after Posey anyways and might look into trading Battier for another wing All-star in some package deal, we would atleast have a piece of that package deal left.

8. lalala902102001

Remind me again, who did we trade Posey for?

9. saleem

Kenny Thomas.

10. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Posey saved Boston's butt not once, but twice with those off-balance 3-pointers from the side. The guy is clutch, has 2 rings with 2 different teams. He probably likes living in Houston, has friends and business interests there. He is a vet with championship experience, but he's not a broken down vet. He knows what it takes to win. He has a well-rounded game who will defend (his forte) and rebound and do the grit work, while also doing what he can with opportunities on offense. He plays the Mario Elie role on teams, and he's more athletic than Battier. If we can get him for a good price, he's the kind of guy we need.

11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

If we signed Posey, guess we will trade Battier..they're both the same..hope we can trade for a scoring option either at SG or PG..

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think what people mean (and one of my concerns as well) is can they play together?

they can both play great defense and knock down the open 3, but can you have two wings who can't create for themselves play at the same time?

still he's the best guy the rockets have a chance at landing so i hope they get him.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

He wasn't traded. He was a FA and we let him walk because he was demanding a big contract. He signed with Memphis. Most around here liked Posey as a player but agreed his demand was too high. The Rockets had been bitten too many times recently with big contracts and weren't ready to cave into another potential disaster contract.

I'm on the fence with Posey for a full MLE. He'd definately be a contributor on this team and brings championship experience ...which we need.

But we all know this team needs a consistent scorer ...and he's not that. So at 31 years old, do we really want to give this guy a long term deal?

In Morey I trust.

14. saleem

A valid question. I feel that having both of them together is kind of redundant.They can complement each other despite having a similar game. Posey is a little more athletic,and still can dribble the ball to some extent.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Haven't heard much about Posey since he left, but if we acquire him and trade Battier, what will happen to this team's "glue" guy?

mneh.. I think the significance of a "glue" guy is a little overrated anyways. Bring Posey in!

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The fact that the open court rarely happens in Houston is a serious problem. That's why we need players who can get into the open court like Posey. Battier wouldn't crack the starting lineup on most teams either. Except us. And Posey defends the best players of most teams as well.

#56 RocksMillenium, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  17. RocksMillenium

Word of the day:

Annoying (sp)

Bigmarky

Please go away you pain in the ass.

18. RocksMillenium

Because he's looking for attention.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

like i said, he's the best guy the rockets have a chance at. for that reason i hope they get him. he will raise the talent level and add depth.

however he may not be the best fit because though they have the same strengths, posey and battier also share the same weaknesses.

20. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

Do not even think of getting Posey.
    The guy is an offensive liability.
    We're already a pretty good defending team, now we need to improve our offense.

Go get Maggete or someone like that, I'd be happy with CJ Miles also or anyone who shoots over 45% while not being a total defensive liability.
    I also really hope Novak crashes the rotation at last.