1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Talent: Who has less Talent in the Playoffs than us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 29, 2008.

?

Are the Rockets [outside of TMac] the least talented team in the Playoffs?

1. YES! Without T-Mac we wouldn't win 20 games

53 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. YES! but not by that much . . maybe 40 games

30 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. NO!

38 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. They are equal to some teams in Talent

33 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Evidently Rick Adelman is FAR AND AWAY THE BEST COACH IN BASKETBALL!!!

Rocket River

2. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

i mentioned this for an entire month when my buddy would update me everyday for the last 10 days of the regular season:

he would text me about "Spurs lost, we just gained a game on the Suns, back in the 2nd seed"

everytime he would say that i would reply with: "who cares, the West is a toss-up this year...Rockets go into the playoffs as the least athletic and talneted team weather they are #3 or #8"

T-Mac: one injured and horrible shooting All-Star
    Scolandry: 2 rookies that haven't played like they did in February
    BJax: a backup garbage PG that shoots more off balanced jumpers than T-Mac himself
    Deke: a 78 year old starting center that can't play more than 15 minutes
    Brooks: quick guard that can't body up any anyone bigger than 6'1"
    Head: will probably give you 5 pts a game
    Novak: great shooter but a defensive liability
    Hayes: great defender but a guy that provides zero offense...he gets his buckets from Tracy...and even then, he won't give you more than 8 a game...

if that doesn't break it down, i don't know what will...no big names, no big time scorers...

compare our "big 3" to any other big 3s in the West; sit back and cry a little inside...

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

4. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

based on my last post i would have to agree...i have NO CLUE how the hell RA won 50+ games this year with these clowns...

than God for the 22 game win streak...without that streak we wouldn't even be POSTING about game 5...

let's say we go 16-6 during those 22 games...

"...hello couch, i'll be sitting on you for the next 40 days watching some entertaining basketball games not including the Rockets..."

5. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

Rockets "Big 3": T-Mac, Scola and Rafer <--- i'm sure everyone would agree with that...if not please advise...

Philly's "Big 3": Igoudala, Andre Miller, Dalembert

not sure if i completely believe you, but it would be close...

T-Mac > Igoudala
    Miller > Alston
    Dalembert = Scola

in any event, i see your point...both team's "Big 3" pretty much won't get it done...

6. Precision340

Precision340 Member

we have talent.. but it just doesn't match up well against utah...
    but without tmac we wouldn't win 20 games

7. ibm

ibm Member

proof?

8. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

We have defensive talents.
    Offensively, we have one of the least talents in the league.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Position by position, I think the Rockets, at present, have the least talented starting lineup of any team in the playoffs, especially, IF you factor in injuries. The Rockets are short on size, athleticism, and skill sets. The sum is greater than the parts, but, overall, the Rockets are out gunned, and, that is largely a management issue. Clearly, even Denver, position by position, has more talent, but they were swept. I think the Warriors are more talented and they didn't even make the playoffs. The Rockets play hard, play defense, work together, and never quit. I admire that. And you have to give Adelman his due, in Houston coaches earn their salaries because typically they don't have alot to work with.

#29 solid, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Agree. Defensivly we are one of the best team in the entire NBA, even now in playoffs. The problem is scoring

11. ibm

ibm Member

i don't get the point of this thread. are we trying to prove we're the least talented team in the p/o so if we lose that's expected, or are we saying no matter what it ain't mcgrady's fault? either way it's baseless.

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Our roster leads the NBA in guts, determination, and resolve. But to not think we're short on talent is misleading yourself. With Yao, we probably have enough talent, but without...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Are you considering DefenseTalent?

Denver may have better offensive Talent
    but
    their Defensive talent is ridiculous

Rocket River

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You are right. I think offense is important in the NBA but it all comes down to defense. Every team in the NBA can probably score when you give them a lot of open opportunities

But Denver plays NO defense. That's the key.

15. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

bottom line is:

1) Rockets don't have enough fire power
    2) they got to where they are today by playing out of their minds defensively
    3) when Scola and Rafer are your "other" scoring options there is reason for concern
    4) when the only person on your team is making 20MM a year to play the first 3 quarters there is a reason for concern

**please see sig**

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He is a great coach. Probably the greatest to have never won a title IMO. The thread is about talent though.

The rockets are the best team at combining hustle, defense, and rebounding and they do all of it as a team but you have to be dilusional to think they are truly talented. At the end of the "Tmac should take notes on Joe Johnson" thread there were some people discussing this and i posted the rotations sans the teams' best players. The rockets were CLEARLY worse talent wise and that is the team with the worst record in the playoffs.

Of course we're a better team because of all the team wide hustle, defense, and rebounding but they aren't talented and everyone I've talked who are fans of different teams knows it. Just go player by player and think wouldn't you trade rafer for bibby, Head for Childress, Smith for Battier.

This really isn't even debatable.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think defensively they are pretty talented.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It is a talent that some guys like Ron Artest, Ben Wallace, Marcus Camby, and Bruce Bowen have. No one on the rockets has defensive talent but they are good defensively, there is a difference. They have great team defensive principles, especially Battier but no one on the rockets can be put on any great player and shut him down by himself like the players with Defensive Talent.

19. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

it's not, but some people are hard headed into actually believing that this current roster was gonna be successful...

not in the least...i've said it a billion times over the last 2 or 3 days: we don't have the personnel to be competitive with the Western Conference Playoff teams...

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Can you name me one team our second beset player would start for in the playoffs at SF? Shane Battier.

Dallas - Josh Howard no.
    Utah- AK47 no
    San Antonio - Bowen - Tie
    Lakers - Odom if bynum was playing - No
    Hornets - Peja No
    Denver - Melo No
    Phoenix - Grant Hill - Maybe?

Cleveland - Lebron - No
    Washington - Caron Butler - No
    Detriot - Tayshaun Prince - No
    Boston - Paul Pierce - No
    Sixers - Iguodala - No
    Orlando - Rashard Lewis - No
    Toronto - Jamario Moon - Probably

So our second best player right now wouldn't start for any team in the west and maybe Toronto in the East. That pretty much sums up the amount of talent on the Rockets. They win by chemistry. I am still surprised they beat the Sonics without Tmac Battier and Yao. How bad must the Sonics be.

I don't see why people keep blaming Tmac for not doing this or that. He tried his butt off in game 2 and we just didn't have enough finishers in the lineup. Chuck Hayes, Scola, Bjax, are all just missing shots they should normally make. I dont' care who we trade TMAC for Kobe, Michael Jordan in his prime doesn't matter. We still wouldn't be in a better position than we are today. Especially cuz rafer missed games 1 and 2.

Just look at the matchups,

Utah is better than us at every position, and somehow we are only down 3-1 and every game is really really close. I still think we can pull this out and I do not think we are going to lose game 5 tonight. If we win game 6 we are going to win the series.

Tmac says a lot of stupid things that people can just easily pick onhim for but he is right, its not on him and its not really his fault. We just are not as talented as the other teams. But on any given night we can be we just need another player to get hot and step it up. Battier needs to play more aggressive. And eiter Rafer or Bjax just have to hit shots.

If you would have told me that Rafer would be hurt and Bjax would be shooting 29% percent at the beginning of the series I would think that we would have been swept. Things just have to turn around. With rafer the series is tied 1-1.