1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets take Royce White with 16th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Royce White at #16 for the Rockets?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

203 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. marothisu

marothisu Member

He has a jump shot. A few reasons why he didn't take many this year.
    1) He didn't need to. ISU had a very balanced scoring attack, with 6 guys on the team shooting over 36% from 3 point range. Royce was responsible for opening that up by drawing double and triple teams down low and passing it out. When he wasn't doing that, he was doing ball screens and holding down defenders giving the other guy on ISU a wide open shot. If you watch ISU games, you'll notice he does this quite a bit.

2) He was out of the game for almost 2 years. He quit basketball for a few months, and then opened his recruitment back up. He had to sit out a year at ISU for xfer rules, so all he got was practice time. It's saying something but usually it helps the mind to be able to do it in a game when you've been out of it for awhile.

He's had a jump shot before. This is from 10 days ago in a summer league in Des Moines. He burries two three pointers in this video (same game). He was playing half assed too, since it was 10 days ago. Don't want to hurt yourself when you're going to the NBA.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6f5not36X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, this is from high school. You can see a jump shot with some pretty good mechanics:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tCS6R_Pc_M8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

First video ... that no look pass at around 1:25 was pretty sweet.

3. marothisu

marothisu Member

Yeah that pass was sweet. By the way, in case you never saw the Kentucky game...about 3/4 of it is on Youtube here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DrRSxcv79uA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. marothisu

marothisu Member

Actually I think it's still processing, so only maybe 25 minutes is up so far..

5. marothisu

marothisu Member

Yeah nevermind, terrible. Starts almost at the end of a (bad) first half and t he rest of the video is basically VCU-Indiana. Uhhhh wtf

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I was watching this Kings-Pacers game from 2001 the other day. The Kings were down 3 with a little over 30 seconds to go. Adelman drew up this clear-out play for Chris Webber, which was a nice play, but I thought to myself "how many bigs can make that kind of play"?

Royce White just might be one of them. Just shows you how special a player he is.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ehIf7nCVYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Too bad we don't still have Adelman to draw those plays up.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h-LbvFckptY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Has anyone else noticed that he is clearly not 6-9 or even 6-8 in the picture next do McHale and the other draftees...

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He looks about like Barkley around 6'6ish.....but he measured out at 6'8" in shoes, right?

DD

11. marothisu

marothisu Member

He measured 6'8" at the combine you know. Also, McHale is 6'10"......................................so obviously it makes sense Royce would be shorter than McHale

12. marothisu

marothisu Member

Yes, 6'8" at the combine with shoes (this is the measurement you see, since the game is played with shoes on). He measured 6'7" without shoes on.

13. marothisu

marothisu Member

Yeah, not bad. Interesting to note the guy on the way left is Austin Arnaud, who was the starting Quarterback for ISU for a few years. The guy in the middle is responsible for CycloneFanatic.com really.

This is the article they were talking about with Michael Jordan/Dwyane Wade's trainer from a few years ago:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/93441894.html

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Did you get Rick Ruled or something? :grin:

15. HMMMHMM

Nah, I'm always watching some old games, looking for ideas or actual sets to put in my toolbox.
    The Kings obviously were a really well coach team, but FWIW I actually liked some of the stuff Isiah Thomas ran as well.

This play right here for example would be an excellent play to run for Jeremy Lamb. Nice weak-side option(s), too.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CLr_aCG6BAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Players loved Isiah as a coach in Indiana. I remember Jermaine O'Neal freaking out when Bird fired Isiah after he resigned with the team specifically because of Zeke being the coach.

17. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

My favorite highlight has to be when he spun baseline on MKG and then slams it two handed over The Brow. Weren't those two guys top 2 picks because of their defense? There is no doubt this guy can play at an NBA level on offense. I think like another poster said, there is no way he can be worse than Scola on defense, and I think he will be better because of his quick hands and vision.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

How old was Royce when he had his son?

19. HMMMHMM

19 years.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, draft eligible in 17 years? Hope the mother is tall and sturdy.