1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets suffer 40% drop in local television ratings...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You say that as if the Rockets passed on those guys or similar talent to draft Patterson or Chandler, when in fact both players the Rockets picked are contributing more than quite a few players drafted ahead of them.

I don't think we are contenders, but in retrospect we haven't been contenders for more than a decade, and our only second round advancement since 1997 was under Morey, which with out injuries might have gone further. Alexander very well may be better off going thru the lottery to rebuild, but lets not act like the last 2 years have been this drastic decline in success from the "glory" days of Yao and McGrady when more often than not the season ended just the same as this one is likely to.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How in the world are Scottie Pippen and Pau Gasol comparable other than them being teammates with top 10 players of all-time who play the SG position?

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

My reasons why I haven't been following the Rockets on TV

1) Canceled my TV service. (needed to save money)
    2) Lockout
    3) Several straight seasons of mediocrity. See reason 3. Burnt out so taking a break
    4) No star power
    5) Can't find a good quality stream to consistently follow the games.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, back then though a team could tank comfortably knowing it came down to a coin toss. Random tangent: Imagine, with the power of hindsight, what teams would do knowing Hakeem Olajuwon and Michael Jordan were in the same draft and you were guaranteed one of them by being the worst team in your conference.

BTW, I think we are a dying breed... the Rockets showed Ralph Sampson's 86 shot vs. Lakers that sent them to the Finals and then cut to Ralph sitting courtside during the game. I honestly did not see a single reaction from the crowd.

I often think we, the CF community on the whole, are the diehards and we'll stick around longer than most, so the Rockets can count on that loyalty a bit and operate differently, trying to pick up new fans and appealing to the masses in the city.

But I think this is one instance where our feelings are in synch -- Give us hope. I can take losing, but I want to see us have a chance with special players and build from there. The early Steve Francis years were fun as hell and we didn't win jack... but we felt we had a core to build around. What angers me most about the Rockets is the lack of a top draft pick reward for seasons that are not really netting us anything.

So for me, it's "team direction" that is the problem.

Now look at the top 5 percentage increases and declines in local TV ratings. The 3 highest in each are textbook cases while the 4th and 5th break from the norm.

Top 5 Increases

Minnesota Timberwolves - young, exciting, added a star in Ricky Rubio
    Oklahoma City Thunder - young, exciting, loaded w/ stars, best in the West.
    Los Angeles Clippers - young, exciting, added a star in Chris Paul.
    Philadelphia 76ers - young, not too exciting, but winning.
    New York Knicks - LIN.

Top 5 Declines

Houston Rockets - winning but no stars, middle-of-the-pack, no visible future.
    Phoenix Suns - old, no young stars, middle-of-the-pack, no visible future.
    Boston Celtics - old, declining, middle-of-the-pack, no visible future.
    Washington Wizards - dumb as rocks, 2nd worst team in the league.
    San Antonio Spurs - winning (2nd best team in West!), but old.

As you said... "Figure out what direction we're going to go and LET'S GO."

5. arjun

arjun Member

Honestly, I love watching the Rockets. It may be "boring" to some people, but I love my Rockets. I could watch them all day because I want them to win that bad.

Yes, we don't have a superstar that can explode for 40 points on a given night, but regardless, the pleasure I get out of watching my Rockets WIN...is priceless.

I'd watch these Rockets even if we were as bad as the Bobcats, why? Cause this is MY team. And as a fan, I take ownership of it.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nah, 21-14 is dumb. We should definitely tank so we can be more like the Wizards.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Houstonians are still riding the Texans high from the break out season.

I know I am. Can't really get into the Rockets. No identity, no future with these players. No star in the making. Mediocre team currently over achieving....bound for another crappy draft position.

Last night though was the most I've watched of the Rockets this season, almost three quarters....and even though it was a win it was painful to watch.

Welcome to the realm of the Astros.

Although, I'd go to MMP before the TC.

8. ThaShark316_28

I think we can all agree that by the end of the 2013 season, we'll know what direction we're going in.

That's not how long I think it'll take, by the way.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Riddle me this:

The Houston Rockets and the Philadelphia Sixers have identical records, 21-14.

The Houston Rockets and the Philadelphia Sixers had similar records last season, 43-29 for Houston, 41-41 for Philly.

Both teams have "good" players but no "superstars."

Average age of the Sixers (weighed by minutes played) = 25. Average age of the Rockets Rockets = 26.

Neither team is deemed by most fans and observers as having a real shot at the NBA title as their rosters currently stand.

According to the article cited in the OP, the Rockets experienced a 40% drop in local viewership, but the Sixers experienced a 112% increase in local viewership over last season.

See: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx

What do you think is the major cause of the difference in the change in TV viewership between the two teams?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But the Rockets are young and winning just as much as the 76ers.

I don't think the casual fan knows or cares much about "direction." They'll watch if it's exciting. Rubio and Durant are exciting. The Rockets...not yet.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I really don't get it. This is the best team we've had in 3 years and people are mad about it. :confused:

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, that's why I was comparing them. Both were/are pretty good players made better by playing with 2 of the greatest players of all time. Neither are good enough to carry a team (IMO).

Once again....it's not about the current record. It's deeper than that.

:(

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess our basketball tastes aren't refined enough. :(

14. ThaShark316_28

That's why I say:

This has NOTHING to do with stars or otherwise. Trades/Assets?? Iggy (their BEST PLAYER!!!) is constantly traded by the media and fans on a yearly basis. So someone try and give more excuses on why this fan-base is atrocious...

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This reminds me of Texans fans getting mad when they drafted Mario Williams and complaining the team was soft and boring.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rockets were contenders in 2007

17. ThaShark316_28

A lot of Texan fans STILL can't stand Mario Williams. :(

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Those "fans" were morons.

As for the comparison, I don't see it. Mario was still projected to be a star. Obviously he didn't have the flash as those other two "failures", I was for the Mario pick mainly because I'm a fan not a GM / scout.

Rockets are stuck running on a treadmill.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

We were the 5th seed and lost in the first round, so obviously we weren't, we just thought we were.

20. ThaShark316_28

I will say this...I'm glad we aren't the Hawks.

How 'bout having 3 all-stars and not having a direction? Jesus...