1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets suffer 40% drop in local television ratings...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ashiin

ashiin Member

The more games we win the more people will watch.

Am I right or am I wrong?

2. VanityHalfBlack

Build A...
    [​IMG]

Go back to:
    [​IMG]

Pick him up in his Prime
    [​IMG]

Don't waive this guy..
    [​IMG]

Kidnap this guy and leave him in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go Back in Time Machine to current year..
    [​IMG]

Problem solved....

3 people like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Eventually. Often takes time for casual fans to take notice. Check out Philly's numbers in the article, and OKC's.

Big jump in viewership a year after a jump in record. Both teams are similar to what they were last season, but were significantly better last season than 2 seasons ago. Delayed reaction.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If I were going back in time, I wouldn't be picking up Yao Ming.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Honestly I don't really think the commentators really matter much here. Houston is a bandwagon city for any sport. No one cares about .500 teams. If the Rockets make noise in the playoffs(say 2nd round appearance), next season will do much better. Just like how no one in Miami cared about the NBA when they weren't winning.

I think that's part of the reason why Les is so reluctant to truly rebuild. There's a lack of "hardcore" fans who would tune in to watch say a Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones develop. People would just see a 20 win team and tune in to something else.

6. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

You forgot to draft:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the rockets attendance is due to the lack of seats at toyota center, as a percentage of the stadium, we get more fans than teams like say...the mavericks

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the Astros finished in the middle of the league in terms of attendance last year...even while suffering what was BY FAR their worst season in team history.

9. MadMax

uh, no.

The Mavs are selling SRO tickets right now. They're selling at 105% capacity. They lead the league in percent of tickets sold --- as they should since they just won their franchise's first ring.

The Rockets, in terms of percentage of seats sold, are 25th in the league, ahead of only the Bucks, Cavs, Pacers, Nets and Pistons.

See for yourself: http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

10. Houston288South

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS! We need to campaign for THIS immediately!

11. MadMax

Then he's a fool...because what he's selling right now ain't selling either. If he's closed off to rebuilding this team because he wants to hold on to ticket sales and TV ratings then he's missing the fact ticket sales and TV ratings suck hard right about now.

This is what I said the other day i a different thread...I don't think most of us on CF appreciate just how irrelevant the Rockets have become on the sports landscape in Houston, even amongst Houston fans. I love them. I went last night and I'm going Friday night. But I don't blame anyone for not being thrilled with this franchise...and being unwilling to pay the ticket prices the Rockets charge. In a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't, this franchise has celebrated playoff appearances like they were gold and our lone playoff series win (vs. Portland) like it was a freaking championship, complete with confetti. If you grew up with this franchise in the 80's and 90's, watching a confetti-strewn celebration for a first round victory was flat out embarassing. The state of the franchise ain't good....and the proof is in the response from the city.

12. thekad

thekad Member

Still waiting.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think the TV ratings dropping while we are playing our best basketball in a while has to do a lot with fans not feeling connected to this team. Yao was the Rockets and you pulled for them. He's gone but more than that never have the Rockets changed over player personnel at the rate they do now. Every year half the squad is swapped out. I personally feel less connected to this team then any other Rockets team that I can remember.

I know it's a business but it feels more and more like the Rockets are a business. And fans don't go out to see a business. They go out to see players play together as a team. You learn about the players and some of their personal lives and their struggles and you like them. You root for them and you root for the team.

I loved those Rockets teams that maybe didn;t win as much but had more or less the same guys year in and year out. I love knowing Rudy was an all time Rocket running the team and Hakeem had starred in college here and know as teaming up with his old buddy Clyde. That meant more than just basketball. I know most don't feel the same way but we have a tradition here that seems more and more like a business. And I think the general public feels the same way.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sounds like the Rockets last year. The Astros will have a far worse attendance this year just like the Rockets.

15. MadMax

The Rockets didn't have their worse season ever last season....not even close.

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

All cities are bandwagon cities. The Knicks couldn't even consistently sell out the greatest arena of all time in the biggest city of all time when they were terrible.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not the worst by win/loss record but you can argue the worst by interest.

18. MadMax

how old are you?

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wonder how much of that is due to FSN contract disputes with some of the local cabel providers. Wavevision, for example, hasn't shown a rockets game all year.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Temporary setback.