1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets suffer 40% drop in local television ratings...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Good question. Here is what I found.

+140% on tv ratings

+770% on web traffic at Knicks website. Jason Friedman is looking at his shrinking bonus checks for the Rockets website and wishing Lin was here. *smile*

+4,000% on internet sales at Knicks online store

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

How bout Cornbread Bill Worrell?!?!?!? I rather have Clyde's enthusiasm than Bullard who makes up things that doesn't have a lot of thinking into it. JVG>Murphy>Clyde>Bullard

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Calvin Murphy is hinting that the broadcasts are boring, since he would entertain the audience even when they were losing, and did he say he takes whatever Bill says with a grain of salt ??

Obviously Bullard is trying with his cookies and Drexler tries to do something or he's just off but I like the potential comeback because anything is better than what we have right now. He says they ask him everyday if he wants to come back and broadcast.

I fear however Leslie likes Clyde too much and still does not like Calvin so...
    maybe Leslie is the only one who likes the idiotic things Drexler says. That clubbing baby seals and all that would not fly with other networks and team, I am sure.

5. thekad

thekad Member

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Respect to Clyde's supernatural chill, but bring back Calvin.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Imagine if these Rockets were in New York. The New York fans would love them! Doing better than the Knicks. . . .

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

How was I defending the 'stros? They're awful, pgabriel. I love them...they're my team...but they're awful. All I did was cite to attendance numbers.

I defend the fans of Houston only to the extent defending them means tearing down the illusion that fans in other cities support all their franchises come hell or high water...but for a very few notable exceptions, that simply does not happen.

9. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Rockets fans as a whole suck. We have a good core group of devout fans, but the general Houston public bandwagons hard. We are in the thick of the playoff mix, and still cant get support.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Horse**** !

Rocket fans like Jeff and Clutch helped save the team from leaving Houston.

They don't suck, they are just too smart to fall for a below par product.

Fans can see what is going on here, and they are saying "We don't like it" by their absence at games, and watching on TV.

This team may have a winning record, but it is boring as hell and no one with a brain believes they can do anything in the playoffs.

As the great Roy Hobbs would say, to Daryl.

"Go pick me out a winner Morey"

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree with all of this, except the last line:

"Go rig the draft for me Stern"

He wants to screw us for basketball reasons, he will reinstate us for basketball reasons. Or lose us for basketball reasons.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just had an interesting conversation.

I'm told that the Houston Rockets attendance drop is roughly 10% this year and, according to a source, there is simply "no way" the Rockets have had a 40% drop in local TV ratings.

Why would such a significant drop be reported? Well, that's the interesting part. Source tells me it's been an ongoing rift this year between the Rockets and Fox Sports Houston and that relationship is not on the best of terms.

As you may know, the Rockets, along with the Houston Astros, opted to leave Fox Sports after this season to launch their own network, Comcast SportsNet Houston. The network is "up to 80% owned" by the Astros and Rockets.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2010/10/29/rockets-astros-set-for-new-tv-network.html

So, Fox Sports is losing the Rockets after this year and they are no longer invested in or interested in promoting the Rockets brand. Behind the scenes, that relationship has been sour and, from what I'm told, the belief is they may not be as vigilant in getting accurate numbers.

Take it for what it's worth.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ thanks Clutch. That makes total sense now.

15. bloop

bloop Member

Chinese are 40% of the local viewing market in Houston?

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

So will Comcast SportsNet Houston be carried on U-Verse?

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's pretty sad, when 40% of the ratings is dependent on the Chinese, who make up only 1.3% of the population. The tv ratings among the other 98.7% must be like 1%.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fox sabotaging Rockets and their new network?

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This completely explains the sudden decision for FoxSports in College Station to switch to the Mavs game every opportunity they have this year. Luckily enough complaining got them to air the Rockets on the leased access channel, but I still couldn't figure out why they made the switch.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If I'm understanding correctly... seems to me that Fox Sports is concerned about potentially losing advertising revenues to the new network. Therefor, they proclaim this huge dropoff as a downward spiral and sign of future dismal results at th new network... Sounds like a lawsuit to me...