1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets still showing interest..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bezzle, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Back on topic, I don't even want Boozer. I don't like him and I don't want to root for him. He's the last guy standing from the Jerry Sloan Jazz era. Please don't make me root for a Jazz, Morey.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

why don't you just call him and tell him…….or u already know he's checking this thread anyways? :grin:

3. dram1

dram1 Member

And if they do battle it out for the big contract, both players would be increasing their value thereby helping the Rockets. Rockets could get something out of one of them if they help themselves by raising their own stock.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Do I? Yes. I do. Absolutely. We are very close to legitimate championship contenders. Shoot, depending on if Ty Lawson gets his act together and is able to fit in our lineup, we might already be there. Next year we have a chance and we need to take that chance with everything that we have. The summer after that, Howard, Lawson and D-Mo might all be free agents.

Exchanging Jones for Boozer would be a step backwards and a step farther away from that goal. A future 2nd round draft pick wouldn't help us reach that goal.

The only way that might possible change is if Morey had a separate deal up his sleeve for someone else and needed the extra draft pick to get it done. But otherwise, IMO, TJ > Boozer + 2nd round pick

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Unfortunately, Boozer isn't the last guy standing from the Jerry Sloan era.

Deron Williams is still around. But he is playing for the Mavericks now so I can still gladly root against him.

Also, Kyle Korver could be considered part of the "Jerry Sloan Jazz era"? He played for them for 3 seasons. I would gladly root for him and his shooting on this Rockets team though.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

I also don't think I would trade TJones for a 2nd. Frankly, we have plenty of those and they don't fetch more than role player on an expiring contract in a trade, which is essentially what TJones already is.

I would trade him for a top 18 protected 1st, which I doubt we could get right now, but I could see it in December.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

-Atlanta Hawks traded their #19 pick for Tim Hardaway JR.
    -Milwaukee Bucks traded their 2016 1st round pick for Greivis Vasquez (who will be expiring after this year).

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I do owe him a call but not for this. I'm pretty sure I've shared my feelings with him about Boozer. I'm pretty confident my opinions don't have much bearing on how he does business though. :)

9. Asian Sensation

Let the Mavs have him and it will be like kicking the Jazz and Mavs Ass' at the same time.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If we can get a first for tj I absolutely make that move. Get something for dat ass....et

11. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Why is everybody wanting to trade Tjones? Isn't he one of the better options at that pay scale? There is also people wanting a big trade involving Ariza and it's just freaking crazy. We need Ariza on this team and we need players who already have the chemistry and know the system like Tjones. Quit wanting to trade everybody just because you want a more exciting offseason. Its the actual season/playoffs that we should be excited about because of this currently constructed team.

12. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Please no. No Jazz players welcome in Houston.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, I might have to start taking antidepressants. It's too much to expect ardent Rockets fans to embrace an ex-Jazz, head spray painting, way past his prime goofus on the roster. Simply too much!

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, no way I'd trade him for a second rounder. I'd much sooner have one more year of Jones. I think he's worth a pick somewhere around #11-18, and that could be an asset worth having. If we could do a deal to get that, I think we might prefer that to letting Jones walk at the end of the season. If we can't find that, I don't think a deal is worth making. I wouldn't be interested in dumping him to save luxury tax or so that we can get a better contract on our second rounder. Those are side benefits, but they pale in comparison to the value Jones has.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree. And let's be honest. A second round pick or multiple 2nds won't be the lynchpin for any significant trade. You really need a Lowry type of pick to gain intrigue, or at least a pick from a lottery team with little protection.

I personally think the depth at the 4 spot matters more in a year where the team should really be all in. In reality, keeping Jones really is going all in knowing you likely won't want to pay him major dollars in free agency.

That being said we really don't know. He could be a bargain and the Rockets could kick themselves for not at least keeping him and seeing what he gets. Either way if your concern is winning now then you should be willing to say screw 2016 free agency, I want the best talent available to win now.

16. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

I'd take him... another vet on the bench to mentor

17. gfromda713

gfromda713 Member

The Jones hate is going a bit too far, I don't think he is that good but for us he is about to be our 10th man. How many teams have a 10th man better than Jones? Plus he should fit in ok against backups 4s where he won't get killed on defense, and use his energy and running with Harden/lawson/etc. to score some buckets on offense. That being said I would trade him for a likely lottery pick, but wouldn't for a end of the first pick because we are in contention to actually win now.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jones is our 7th man (In front of Bev, Thornton and Capela), possibly 6th if he gets more minutes then Brewer. Not that I hate Jones, just correcting you on his rotation spot.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having Paul Millsap. He's a sloan guy.

20. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

If he came here would he start?