1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets signs Jon Barry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slick Rick, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Houston Rockets Re-Sign Jon Barry

HOUSTON – The Houston Rockets have re-signed free agent guard Jon Barry to a contract, General Manager Carroll Dawson announced today. Barry averaged 7.0 points after joining the Rockets last season, helping Houston to a 38-15 record in 53 games. He also became the Rockets career leader and single-season record holder with a 3-point percentage of .451, making 60-of-133 3-point attempts in a Rockets uniform.

“First and foremost, Jon knows how to win,” Dawson said. “He has brought a winning attitude to almost every team he has joined. He provided experience and energy to our lineup last season. This year he gives our team another reliable ball handler in the backcourt and a threat from 3-point range.”

Last season Barry averaged 6.6 points with 2.4 assists in 69 games with Atlanta and Houston. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard came to Houston from the Hawks on Dec. 23 in exchange for Tyronn Lue. The 13-year veteran ranked seventh in the NBA with a 3-point percentage of .430. He scored in double figures 16 times, including 14 times with the Rockets. Barry set season highs with 19 points on Jan. 24 vs. Orlando and eight rebounds on Jan. 13 vs. New Jersey. He also logged a season-high four steals at San Antonio on Feb. 23 and vs. Denver on Apr. 16.

Barry possesses career averages of 5.8 points, 1.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 801 games with Milwaukee, Golden State, Atlanta, the LA Lakers, Sacramento, Detroit, Denver and Houston. He has participated in the playoffs in nine-straight years with his six different teams. Barry holds a career free throw percentage of .849 and a career 3-point percentage of .392. Barry has ranked among the top 10 in 3-point field goal percentage four times, including this past season. He has also better than 40 percent from 3-point range in five of 13 seasons, including three of the last four years. During the 2001-2002 season, Barry averaged career highs of 9.0 points and 3.3 assists in a career-high 82 games with Detroit. That season he also set Pistons single-season franchise records with a free throw percentage of .931 and a 3-point percentage of .469, ranking second in the NBA in 3-point accuracy.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Great news! The Chemistry is back.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

wheres the Link?

4. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

There is not link yet.

5. Lance Berkman

Lance Berkman Member

Thats GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! I'm loving this off-season more and more. :)

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

Then how did you get it? Email? :confused:

7. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I have my sources. ;)

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I heard on 610 early this morning its for 2 millon dollars.

9. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

umm okay...can you please give us a clue to what your source is and how they seemed to produce an authentic looking news article announcing his resigning??

10. ees

ees Member

It's a press release.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

worth every penny !!! :cool:

12. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Ees gets the prize.

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

Yes, probably a draft copy or something.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Slick, any other infos from your sources? how about Mutombo? and that supposed to be BOLD move on our backcourt?

15. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Hell, he resigned...I thougth he just re-signed. This thread is an emotional roller coaster.

What is funny to me is that his stats, in the grand scheme of things, appear insignificant...I can't imagine someone in 20 years in New York saying "D@mn that Jon Barry was awesome!" But he's the type guy that championship teams are built of. Excellent News! It would be nice to have both Barrys in the Rox backcourt (I'm not proposing a trade, an amnesty pickup, a FA acquisition when he's available...I'm just saying...)

16. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Unfortunately, I don't get the inside info like Doc Rocket. I get my "insider info" from the same sources from many people here. I think we will sign Mutumbo. I not sure on Nick the Quick.

17. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

LOVE IT! Stay healthy, Jon.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think he could have got a max of like 2.16 mil as a non-qualifying free agent (last years 1.8 mil x 1.2). So at 2 mil it mean JB gave in about half way on the last 300k they might have been quibbling about.

Excellent news!!! That Lue trade worked out amazingly well.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

We have a nickname: The Chemist!

[​IMG]

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Retire with a ring, JB!