1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets signing Troy Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

OOOh ok. I was wondering why they cut him. I remember Troy playing well against the Rockets.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

A certain someone's entire ClutchFans membership has consisted of straw-grasping.

FTW Rockets FTW and MorningZippo like this.
  3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He has made Dekker obsolete for sure... my GOD him and Capella are trade bait..... they do not fit what we are trying to do..... unless they improve dramatically.

Good eye by Morey by signing TW to a non guaranteed contract. He is going to pay dividend when the playoffs start with Harden at the helm.... he will stretch the floor even more.

5. dmoneybangbang

Troy Williams is a bigger version KJ McDaniels. Again Williams hasn't shot the 3ball consistently well as he's been sitting in the low 30% throughout his rookie year. I think he can become a productive player but let's not starting sucking his weiner after one game of hot shooting.

raining threes and JayGoogle like this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Aside from the 3 ball, Troy is a much better passer and better finisher in transition and through contact than KJ ever was.

When we signed him I went back and watched about 5 full games of him in Memphis and a few on the Vipers since.

Troy is an athletic basketball player

KJ is an athlete playing basketball

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's a rookie who can get better. If this is his "floor" then I'm all in.

8. dmoneybangbang

Good point about the passing. I'm not trying to undersell Troy but I think the bolded is probably a better description than Troy being a bigger version of KJ. However, Troy's size helps him finish at the rim in transition/through the contact.

DonKnock and bilaal14 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

He can absolutely get better and I expect Morey to use the new 2-way contract on him.

DonKnock and Ramo$e like this.
  10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Love this description from the DownToBuckVid:

"This game by Troy Williams is right up there for the "Most Unexpected Performance" award, an award which should for real be a real award that the NBA really awards. Not convinced? Here, let me spell it out for you.

For one, this is Williams' career-high. That by itself isn't too crazy, but it's also a career-high in his first game with a new team. Getting crazier! Compounding the craziness is the fact that he had just gotten done playing a D-League game the day before, which isn't as crazy as the time Chris McCullough played in both leagues in the same day, but is still pretty crazy. But the real kicker is how he got those points; six made three-pointers for a guy who had made 10 in the whole rest of his career, a total repudiation of what kind of a player he was before and an all-encompassing acceptance of how the Rockets play the game.

Devin Booker's 70 points probably will still win the award, but we can still take a moment and reflect upon what happened here tonight. It was a beautiful thing, and I'm so happy to have been able to share it with you."

Deuce, SLRokJok, HTX Ninja and 2 others like this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

The look on Wiltjer's face at the end of the video says it all, "**** I'm outta here". This is the last week for playoff additions, with Sam injured I wonder what position Morey is leaning towards. I wonder why Chinanu didn't play either

Hakeemtheking and elmotsangtt like this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

This is crazy, what's with the debuts for the Rockets and just being able to hit a lot of threes haha :) Guess our system is not that complicated! Hope it's not a fluke since we need him now with Dekker out..

DonKnock likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Dat smile.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, I know.

NOT A HANDSOME FELLA.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Charismatic.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. threepointshot3

Really quick and dose not hesitate on his shot. We found a solid backup at the 3 spot.

Hakeemtheking and DonKnock like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Try chinaku, our old center player cannot beat Dirty green. He is good

19. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Brewer 2.0

20. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Thx for the vid. Great debut. I like his decisiveness with his shots and the spring in his step. He seems more fitting than Ariza in an uptempo game. Ariza moves slow and his shot is just as slow and unsure, barely wants to dribble anywhere, surely doesnt drive to the hoop to force the issue. We need slashing ability when defenses lul to sleep watching Harden up top.

DonKnock likes this.