1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets signing Gary Payton II to 3 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Someone already answered it above, can't be bothered writing it again. Bad comparison.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

GP2, a lesser Bev?

I am having trouble connecting the dots. Bev is decidedly not the point guard MDA wants in his system. I suspect that MDA wants a 1 that can run the pick-n-roll, hitting a mid range jumper or getting an assist. Neither Bev or PG2 fit the bill.

3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Senior too? Perfect. Hopefully plays next season with Dekker.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

After watching a few vids on him, I agree that this is a better comparison than Nick. Crossing my fingers that he develops a jumper. Even if all he has is a reliable elbow jumper and streaky 3, that would be enough.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston we have a problem.... Congrats to my son. Proud moment</p>&mdash; Gary Payton (@GaryPayton_20) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryPayton_20/status/746207907910279169">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. basketballholic

Think about it.

"We like you but we probably won't draft you because there will likely be players at our spots that we like better. However if you go undrafted we'll offer you a 3-year deal with x dollars guaranteed."

We need to see what that contact looks like. It's reported to be 3 years with some sort of guarantee. That means its not a minimum salary deal or a summer contact. It's either a cap space deal or we're going to use part of whatever MLE we wind up with to sign him.

In other words, if the reports are true that these guys are getting a 3-year deal with some sort of guarantee then we do value them more than just as summer camp invitees. At the very minimum we are going to pay them like a second rounder to play dleague for us and we're taking the risk that they stay in the dleague and give us first shot at re-signing them if we have to cut them before the regular season. Because if we cut them, they could decide to go to Europe or another team could sign them if they get to ringing it up at RGV.

That's a pretty strong commitment for an undrafted player, don't you think? I don't know if that's ever been done before. ......giving an undrafted rookie a guaranteed 3-year deal right after the draft. There might have been a player or two that played themselves on to a roster after going undrafted and then they were rewarded with a 3-year deal such as Briante Weber. Weber was signed to a 3-year deal using part of the MLE. But only after he was cut in training camp, then spending most of the year in dleague, before latching back on with the Heat in April. Not only that but he was only guaranteed the balance of that first season. He has to stay on the roster past cutoff dates to get the next 2 seasons guaranteed.

So, I personally can't recall another case where a team committed to a 3-year deal with a player that went undrafted, right after the draft, before they even went to summer league. Maybe Bima or somebody else will set me straight on this and produce a whole list of them. It does appear that Washington possibly pulled this off with McClellan as well.

This is what makes me think that perhaps there was a promise to at least Payton II since that agreement came out almost as soon as the draft ended. Especially if that guarantee exceeds just the first season, then I'm going to be even more suspicious because some second rounders are only offered a one year minimum salary deal and are forced to choose that or go overseas for a bigger deal. And also in light of the rumors that we were shopping Bev for a first rounder.

How can a kid be so good in his workout for us that we essentially draft him at 61 and immediately agree to a 3-year deal that is at least as good (and maybe better than) the deal that the #40 pick (Josh Richardson) got last year in August after summer camp? Morey is essentially saying that these guys are at least as valuable as the #40 pick in last year's draft before they even lace up for the first time. (By the way I'm ok with that. I was calling for us to buy or trade for more second rounders and Payton II was on my list. )

So you tell me. No other team is leaking 3-year commitments to any undrafted players in this draft unless it just happened in the last few hours. ( possibly Washington/McLellan) Yet we've leaked that we've agreed to give three players all 3-year deals. And Payton's deal was announced just after the draft ended.

I don't know if Wiltjer's and Taylor's deals were promised but I am wondering about Payton's. I'd like to see his workout schedule to see if he shut it down after meeting with us and is going to be interesting to see if he gets more than a first-year guarantee. If both of those things are true I'm going to be suspicious there was a promise.

#126 basketballholic, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So, can we lobby to nickname him "The Mitten"?

1 person likes this.
  8. dje243

dje243 Member

So are they able to actually contact players before the draft and get a contract in place in the event the player isn't drafted? Like do these players know if they don't get drafted they already have a deal drawn up with the rockets?

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Trending: After son is signed by Rockets, Gary Payton knows nothing about Houston, uses the most overused Houston reference of all time.

#129 napalm06, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's an interesting theory bbh. Clearly there was something discussed ahead of time, as committing to a 3 year deal less than a few minutes after the 60th pick clearly shows.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

T_Man

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So is he saying that his son will be a problem?

13. basketballholic

They cannot sign a contract. They can only talk. Team can say if you go undrafted or if we draft you we are prepared to offer you a3-year deal. Will you accept a 3-year deal if we offered one to you? Player and agent can then say anything they want. They can say maybe if nothing better comes along. They can say probably not. They can say absolutely we will. None of it is concrete. It is just words, promises. Neither side is committed.

Same is true right now. None of these guys are signed. They've just leaked that they've reached agreements. But nothing is final until the ink is on paper. Either side could decide not to honor their word to each other. That's why you won't get verifying from Morey that the deals are done. They cannot even get done until July.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the NFL, it is pretty common to start negotiating with guys during the last round, saying "In case you don't get drafted, we'd like to sign you and this is the sort of deal we'd be looking to give."

As soon as 43 is selected, the Rockets don't have a whole lot going on except to think about who might be available once everybody is picked. It doesn't necessarily have to be done days in advance for it to be in place at the end of the draft.

15. basketballholic

We could've bought picks like others did. I was hoping so badly we'd buy the pick Cleveland got and draft Felder for ourslves and give him the deal we gave these others. But we went the cheap route......so Cleveland pays a little more and gets Felder. And in my opinion Felder is definitely worth $2.4 million more than Isaiah Taylor. :mad:

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

Nice!

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

GP2
    KJ
    ???
    Harrell
    Capela

LOBS FOR DAYS

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I like. Lot's of good here. just needs a jump shot which may or may not come. He has to work at it. It didn't come in 4 years, which gives me doubts. If he was still 20, then I'd say there is a chance, but that is not the case. but I do like that his dad played and he has similar traits defensively and athletically.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I didn't follow GP2 much in college but in watching the highlight package I was wowed by his athleticism. It was like KJ McDaniels in a smaller package. And the Nick Johnson comparison came to mind as well. But GP2 looks to have more confidence/toughness/swagger to his game that I think will translate well. I am sure it is tough being GP's son.

Very pleased with this pick up by Morey.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Robert Covington in 2013. Immediately after the draft, Covington got a three-year contract offer. Fully guaranteed in Year 1. Partially guaranteed for $150,000 in Year 2. Non-guaranteed in Year 3. A very attractive offer for an undrafted rookie and better than many second round picks received.

The Rockets targeted Covington as a guy they really liked and pursued him aggressively in the late stages of the draft in case he ended up not getting drafted.