1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. conquistador#11

i am wondering if he was 'promised' to be the starter at sf with parsons at the four. no way ariza comes here to be on the bench when other teams were in consideration. The best thing is his game can carry on for another 5 years and he is still in his 20s though it seems he has been around since 300 B.C.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I assume they're making Ariza a 6th man and matching Parsons?

Right?

Or else...

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if we promised him anything other than minutes on the court. We had the best offer financially and we are a good organization with a contending team. Doesn't sound like there were as many true suitors for Ariza as was reported.

4. Classic

Classic Member

Hopefully we land that veteran PF today with our avail cap space and still retain Parsons

1 person likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That or a PG. I'd be happy with either and long as they are starter quality. We need another piece before matching Parsons. It can't just be Ariza.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

tax, cost of living, front loaded, it really was the money

7. Progs

Progs Member

Esan Ilyasova is still a possibility. His game would flourish and compliment Dwight more than any other PF out there.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Beverly
    Harden
    Parsons
    Ariza

or

Beverly
    Daniels
    Parsons
    Ariza

or

Harden
    Daniels
    Parsons
    Ariza

those 3 complementary line-ups absolutely spread the floor for Howard and Harden as well in the 2 versions that he is in. TJ is still the starting PF though. I would be happy with a true stretch 4 though. Sign me up for Illyasova or Ryan Anderson any day. The 8.5 million Trade exception would be enough to match salaries on either of those two.

I'm also with you on the back up center & pg. Use part of the MLE on Okafor? I have no idea who I would want for a Back up PG. I might be willing to role with Johnson to see what he has for a while, I don' know.

#1108 crash5179, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. dje243

dje243 Member

Agreed. I think here he would live up to his contract. It wouldn't be difficult. He's making 7 per. Would fit nicely within one of our TPE's.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

T-Jones better be in the gym all summer working on his 3.

11. crash5179

And his man to man defense.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

I think they match it just because it's a smart chess move...

When they can, they make a run at Love around trade deadline using either CP or TA as a piece in the deal.

If they can swing it and the deal is done, Love in...no drop off at SF.

If they cant make a deal..fine...they have flexibility in match ups on a game by game/minute by minute basis.

I sincerely hope that T Jones comes back this year with a chip on his shoulder and shows and proves he has potential to be a solid PF in the NBA.

If so..good....include him in the deal for Love.

Cleveland doesn't want to trade Wiggins and Wiggins HAS to be in the deal to get Love in a trade....

Minny is NOT just gonna let Love walk and get nothing in return for him, so he WILL be on the block

At any rate.....makes sense to match Parsons to have some maneuverability later on...

The asset game continues...

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The stretch 4 problem is an old problem. The Ariza deal may or may not solve it, depending on how they are going to use Ariza and Parsons.

But if you believe we are better than last year if we match Parsons, you have to address the fact that we lost a very good backup center and a good backup PG. (Lin might not be a great starting PG. But he definitely was better than a lot of backups in the league.) Those two holes need to be plugged for me to say that we are going to be better than last year.

I actually hope that one of Jones and DMo will emerged significantly improved, especially DMo. That would solve a lot of the problems.

14. liveguy

liveguy Member

Back up PG will eventually be Nick Johnson by mid-year...maybe sooner.

Back up C...tough one....I'm sure they'll find a decent/serviceable vet

15. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

IF we make another sign BEFORE we go over with Parsons, then I am all for matching. If we cannot sign at a position of need first, let him walk... A lot of people are more pissed at him than Bosh for screwing the Rockets for that love fest deal he signed with Cuban...

16. Remii

Remii Member

The free agent market in two years will be very talented and teams are getting prepared. That's why it's a lot of 2 year contracts going around.

17. crash5179

My reasoning is that Asik was hurt most of last season and really didn't impact the team. When he started alongside of D12 then we were much much worst than when TJones started next to Dwight. He only played in 49 games and prior to March and April when Dwight sat out some games he was only averaging about 15 minutes a game. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Asik fan, but he was not much of an impact in the regular season.

I'm not a big fan of Jeremy Lin's game. He is what DM calls a flash player. I think as much as anything is that he is much better when he knows that the offense is all on him. In Houston he did not know that. If Daniels continues to hit 3 point shots at a ridiculous rate of 48% then I will take that and Nick Johnson's defense over Lin any day (providing Johnson's defense is as advertised).

And the addition of Ariza trumps the loss of JLin as well. Ariza is just superior to JLin as a player and much more of what the Rockets need, 3 & D. Plus he can fill in for Parsons or Harden. Daniels and Ariza together completely addresses all of the issues with too many minutes that Harden and Parsons were getting which should keep them fresher at the end of the season.

The Rockets roster is not perfect but I think they will be much better next year than last season if they retain Parsons.

Essentially we have replace Lin and Asik with Nick Johnson, Trevor Ariza and Troy Daniels (since he was really not a rotation player until the 3rd game of the play-offs).

1 person likes this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Kevin Durant will be coming to Houston in two years. LOL Harden has already talked to him. It's going down! :grin:

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have always liked his game.

Ilyasova + Ariza + retaining Parsons is very nice.

Lots of versatility with those 3 players.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who would have traded Lin and a first for Ariza at the deadline last year? I would have.