1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Cole Aldrich says hi

2. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

It's only day 3 of free agency. . . . . Stop acting like a twat

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So getting Marion then matching Parsons then signing Okafor for the min. That would be a great offseason:

Beverly / Canaan or Johnson
    Harden / Ariza
    Parsons / Ariza
    Marion / TJones
    Howard / Okafor

Looks like a good team to me. Maybe DMo and Daniels will get some minutes as well. And we'd still have the NOLA pick and some eurostash players as assets.

We'd basically massively improved our bench by making Ariza and TJones our main bench guys. And we'd improve our starting 5 with Marion getting better defense and shooting. Our backup PG and C would be worse, but Harden could play some PG and maybe TJones or Marion some C against certain teams.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes, I think we match Parsons and then Ariza is primarily coming off the bench. But both he and Parsons are flexible, and I think even coming off the bench, Ariza would be worth playing for ~30 minutes or so a game, allowing us to decrease both Parsons and Harden's minutes during the regular season.

If Ariza is coming off the bench, he could come in for Harden at SG sometimes. He could come in for Parsons at his natural position sometimes. He could come in for Jones and you could push Parsons to PF to play small ball. He could come in for Beverley and you could push Harden to PG.

I like this signing, I think it is good value. And even though he is the same position as Parsons, I still think we will match Parsons and then have a lot of athleticism, shooting and flexibility. Not only that, Ariza will help a lot on our perimeter defense.

5. rocketman619

rocketman619 Member

Solid signing at a great price. Realistically, we needed another solid player to support what we already have. Bosh was a luxury, but not an end all. Parsons will be matched, but not before one more solid addition once Asik is officially traded.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

To be fair, John Wall is an elite play maker. We don't have any player makers on the Rockets like Wall, but what we do have is shooters and Dwight Howard so it should even out. I feel like a lot of people from other fan bases are under the false impression that Beverley can't shoot the three. Ariza should shoot about 37%+ over here. Hopefully 40.

7. Amir's Johnson

Okafor? When was the last time he played?

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah if we had to choose I'd pick Marion just for his playoff experience. I still like Davis as back-up C, Marion is great 3/4 defender still though.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, but we played Harden too much last year probably because our 6th man wing players weren't very good. Likely we will use Ariza to supplement the time we had to rely too much on Harden & Parsons last year and of course as a situational player for when we need a defensive wing.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Okafor is slightly unknown, coming off a major neck injury. If he accepted a minimum deal to come back home (he is from Houston) I would still love that deal.

Marion is slightly undersized for PF and way undersized to play C. I wouldn't mind looking at him, and possibly signing him for the right deal, but now that we have Ariza I wouldn't try too much for him.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Any owner who would let Olajuwon retire in Canada behind a few million dollars is cheap. PERIOD....!!!!

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blazers fan, ignore him.

14. okeezie

okeezie Member

For real. I'm so tired of people complaining about stuff and they don't understand what is going on. Ariza is depth! It's Parsons or nothing people! Not Parsons or Bledsoe or Parsons or Monroe. Parsons or nothing! Good day people!

15. cml750

cml750 Member

Good deal but they better match the CP25 offer!!!

16. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

He asked to be traded.

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

Haha, that is actually hilarious!

John Wall is good. James Harden+Dwight Howard are better.

Ariza isn't a huge splash. But I think he is a great fit for our team and will fit much more naturally to his strengths than when we had him and Brooks trying to be our main options last time we had him.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

At that price point, that was a steal and a clever way to reverse screw Dallas. I think Parsons probably is about 2-3mil overpaid but Ariza is probably underpaid by about the same amount so it's sort of a wash

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

We don't need to make any moves to free up money to sign Parsons. We can go over the cap to get him. I'm reading a lot that if we match Parsons, our future would be screwed. Not true. We are capped out as it is with Ariza anyway. So you match unless they really don't want Chandler anymore or Les doesn't want to pay lux tax penalties.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

true, but 'apparently' Les has learned his lesson on going cheap ie. during the Yao/McGrady years when the bench was lackluster. I keep reading that Les says he has no problem going over the luxury tax since he wants to win baby! so its time for him to pony up... and 20 years between championships is long enough. He's probably sick of waiting.