1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ariza for 8 > bosh for 20

I like the idea of having 3 long players on the floor together who can all shoot the 3 at a high level. I see Ariza as a 6-man of the year candidate. Curious to see what Morey's next move is. PG, C, PF?

2. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Really good value on this contract, I think; $8M per is quite good considering the prices for 3-D wings, and also slots in very nicely to the trade exception generated by the Jeremy Lin trade if Washington is willing to S&T (and I can't see why they wouldn't, in order to generate a sizeable trade exception on a capped out team), so the Rockets can likely match Parsons and operate over the salary cap after Sunday. At this point, makes more sense to retain an $8.4M trade exception for Asik, and still have the mid-level exception to sign Troy Daniels to a long term deal, sign Nick Johnson to a 3-year deal, and perhaps bring over Papanikolau or sign a backup center.

Can't say I was a fan of Trevor Ariza the first time he was here, thought he rode a hot-shooting playoffs to an overpaid contract (wait a minute...), and personally loved the trade for Courtney Lee. But this time, it really does seem like the improvement in his shooting is real; over the last 3 years he's noticeably improved his free throw percentage, which correlates well to sustainable gains in long distance accuracy. I don't expect him to ever repeat his 59 TS% contract year masterpiece of last year, but 42/37/77 would basically be Carlos Delfino with defense and rim finishing capability, and that's a very fine addition.

As a replacement to Chandler, I can't get on board with that. As an addition, seems like a very good move.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7h8zVlCmX4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. chandlerbang21

to people asking about Parsons do you really think the Rockets are going to pay ariza 8 million to sit on the bench?

5. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Stephenson is more of a 2, if they slide him to SF and Monta at the 2? that lineup too small

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Can ariza defend 4's? Hopefully better than parsons. If they plan to use cp at the 4 I'd think they use ariza to defend the pf spot

7. instantno0o0dle

Random free agent though: why dont we go after ed davis? don't we need an athletic four?

8. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

exactly, morey was thinking, "what if we combine both, i want the 10 3s also" .... and behold. he did. :)

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

We should re-sign Parsons and start him at the 3. Bring Ariza off the bench, and use Parsons as a stretch 4 sometimes but mostly just let Ariza play a 6th man role where he backs up both the 2 and the 3.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

ariza is starting with Parsons. How can you not see that?

11. haydenfisher342

we could, if Mchale learns what zone defense is.

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

They paid Lin that much to sit on the bench.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm ok with this deal. Let's be honest, it's not a huge splash and it doesn't immediately push us into being one of the top favorites in the West like I think Bosh would have, but I still think it's a solid deal for a player that should fit our lineup pretty well.

When we had Ariza before, we were asking him to be one of the primary ballhandlers/scorers, which has never been his strength. Not, with Harden and Howard, he will be able to focus on what he does best- good perimeter defense (one of our weaknesses), pretty good outside shooting, and using his athleticism to get out in the open court on some fast breaks.

TBH- if Parsons and Ariza were the same price, I would prefer Parsons easily. But 4/32 is so much better value than 3/46, and I could see how Ariza would be a great fit for our team. I think Ariza is a better defender than Parsons.

I could see the advantages of both sides of matching Parsons or letting him walk. It will be interesting to see what we do.

14. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Why did we sign ariza? is he suppose to come off the bench? Does this mean they are not going to re sign parsons? I would have preferred them to go after greg monroe

15. s.b713

s.b713 Member

We paid Lin and Asik 8 each to do that last year ..................

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

DOES HE STILL HANDLE LIKE A d******d

1 person likes this.
  17. Progs

Progs Member

This is both dumb and ridiculous.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

We're not asking to be a star. We're paying him 8 mil to be a great 3&D guy which he can do.

19. haydenfisher342

we are going to pay parsons 16 too

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!