1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Reggie Williams to a two-year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aussie_Fozzey, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

He did lead NCAA in scoring two years in a row (and is listed as his conf. all-time leading scorer)
    Can hit the open corner 3
    Playing potentially for 1/2 the minimum

[​IMG]

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Gun Slinger. Welcome Reggie....for those games we need instant offense this guy can fill it up !

3. Big Red Machine

I'm not sure what you mean by "thought our roster was full already", but you can have as many as 20 players under contract in the offseason (I think). You just have to have it paired down to a max of 15 by your first game. And the Rockets did have like 20 players under contract most of last offseason.

4. j3i

j3i Member

A very Morey-like signing. Never heard of this guy but at least he's got a quick and soft release.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So are we signing him to be a permanent addition or is he jut going to be a preseason body?

6. Big Red Machine

Teams don't generally sign "preseason bodies" on the first official day of free agency.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Excited to join the Houston Rockets !!!!!</p>&mdash; Reggie Williams (@reggiew55) <a href="https://twitter.com/reggiew55/statuses/355334213710512131">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are you as good as Gary Neal?
    Someone ask.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

They signed Covington (or agreed to terms just like Williams) the day after the draft who, in essence, is a training camp tryout. The only difference is Covington's contract is non-guaranteed and the Williams' is 50% guaranteed if cut.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hahah who wouldn't be if you join a team that has H2o!

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I heard Covington's deal was partially guaranteed.

12. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

Decent player at best. Came into this season out of shape. Good combo guard not really a shooter more of a playmaker. Interesting to see that it's a 2 year deal and not 1, is the second year a team option?

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I really like Reggie great pick up for the min. plus if it doesn't work out we have the option on year 2.

Small move but a nice one non the less.

14. herro

herro Member

Loving the lefties - admittedly biased

15. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Me as well. Remember this guy lighting it up when he was with the Warriors. For a low-risk signing, it doesn't appear to be too bad. I kinda like it.

16. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Strengths:
    - Lefty
    - Shooter (at one point shot 40%+ 3pts consitently)
    - Has a decent build

Weaknesses
    - Terrible Defense
    - Has had injury problems
    - Inconsistent seasons (due to injuries)

Poor man's James Harden to the T

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If already posted then sry

Reggie Williams is a lot like you and me. All he wants to do is have a good time. Some people are just content with sitting around, whether it be on a sofa or a bench.
    [​IMG]
    (via Reggie Williams' Instagram account)
    I want you to look closely at that photo. If you look carefully you'll notice that Williams' cookies are homemade, which suggests that he knows how to bake. This is encouraging, even if the average chocolate chip cookie has roughly 10 grams of sugar in it. I guess you don't need to be in the greatest shape when you play a mere 10 minutes in less than half of your team's game. I'm just happy Reggie's happy.
    But there's a problem. I don't know Williams personally but this photograph suggests that he is not an environmentally friendly lad. See that 8" styrofoam plate? Those two bottles of water? That's not a good look in 2013.
    There's one more thing I want you to notice. Williams' weapon of choice in Call Of Duty is the M16A4. I'm no gun nut, but I play a lot of video games and know that this particular assault rifle is highly accurate and most useful from long range. A lot like Reggie, really.
    Wait, this is a season review? Oh. Let's get to the actual season review, then.
    Season Review

No matter the sport, Reggie Williams is a natural scorer.
    [​IMG]
    (via Reggie Williams' Instagram account)
    I don't know who KEDO is, but Reggie Williams tripled his score. That's nothing against KEDO. I'm sure he's a nice guy. It's just that Williams is an excellent bowler. The fewest number of pins Williams knocked down in a turn was eight. He also had four spares and four strikes.
    Give him a ball, and Williams will score.
    Oddly enough, Williams is a decent play-maker as well. Long regarded as a gunner, Williams' 3.7 assists per 36 minutes may surprise some people. I don't know where he developed a reputation as a selfish gunner, but it's largely inaccurate.
    Williams has never used a higher percentage of a team's offensive possessions than he did this season. Thing is, he only shot or turned the ball over on one fifth of the team's possessions, with a usage percentage of 19.2. Coupled with a solid assist percentage of 18.2 (which means Williams is responsible for roughly a fifth of the team's assists when he's on the floor), you begin to see that Williams might be a pretty good offensive player.
    But that's not news. We knew that.
    What's interesting is this: Williams took 131 field-goal attempts this season, and 33 percent of them were spot-up 3-pointers. He converted a solid 37.2 percent of them, too. The rest of Williams' offense is pretty evenly divided, although he does show promise in the pick-and-roll (1 Point Per Possession on 19 possessions) and in transition (1.04 PPP on 23 possessions). He didn't get many opportunities in these areas last season (and really, not many opportunities in general), and I'd like to see what he's capable of as a larger feature in the offense.
    But here's where things go downhill for Williams: He's an abysmal defender.
    Overall, MySynergySports.com has Williams ranked as the 255th best defender in the league, which is a fancy way of saying he's very, very bad. It's not entirely his fault; Williams is flat-footed and not very quick. Sadly, genetics are not on his side. Where it is his fault, however, is his awareness. Too often, Williams completely loses track of his man and because of his less than ideal physical tools is too slow to recover. This can be seen in Williams' horrid 1.08 PPP allowed on spot-up opportunities, ranked 300th in the league.
    Not a lot you can say about Williams. He's a very good offensive player, but a very bad defensive player. You know, the stereotype.
    Best Play

I scoured YouTube to the best of my ability and found absolutely nothing of interest. A couple made threes, a layup, and a turnover. Nothing worth sharing.
    This, however, might fit in well.

Yes, they have Reggie Williams interviewing Kemba Walker. I am especially fond of how animated Williams is when he talks. Contrasts his monotone voice well. I also like how Williams pronounces Under Armor.
    Things to work on

It's not easy to improve on defense. But somehow, some way, that needs to be Williams' goal.
    Future with the team and grade

Let's be honest. Williams is not in the Bobcats' future. He was most likely a stop gap until the Bobcats found a replacement for him. With his contract expiring, I imagine the team will look for other options. Williams is a niche player, able to flip a game on its head with a few key buckets and assists. However, if you keep him in too long he'll be exploited on the defensive end. The Bobcats have plenty of scoring already. I like Williams, but he's not needed.
    In terms of a grade, I'd give Williams a B-. It's hard to give him anything else. It's a passing grade but not a very good one. Williams was available when needed, was by all accounts a good locker room presence, and he reminds me of James Harden for some reason. So yeah, a B- seems about right.

18. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

What I love about these signings is that omri and Reggie are both names that have popped up on the Rockets rumor radar the last few years. Morey tends to be pretty accurate when he's chasing a player for a while (ala Asik, Lowry, Courtney Lee). These guys probably won't be of that magnitude but I'd damn near guarantee they'll both be quality rotation players next season.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Covington is 150k guar

20. Big Red Machine

If they're guaranteeing any kind of money, the player is looked at as more than a "preseason body." Bottom line.

Doesn't mean they won't get cut during training camp, but they're at least interested in that player as a part of the roster.