1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign KJ McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AFS, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why does KJ feel loyalty to the team? He's been with the organization for a few months and hardly played. The guys must be really nice to him off the court.

2. malakas

malakas Member

>???? Kj is OUR free agent not their anymore. We were the only team in the first place who could match.:p

I hope this is the trigger we needed to go ahead and sign Harrell and make the god damn upcoming trade.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

This signing really has no effect on signing Hayes. The remaining MLE will likely be used to sign Harrell to s longer term deal. If Hayes were to sign here it would likely be for the vet minimum which you don't need cap space for.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Props to him and his agent. That's mid lotto pick pay.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lots of good defensive depth on this roster:

Howard, Ariza, Brew, Bev, KJ...

Let's trade for a PG who can stroke it and go to war!

1 person likes this.
  6. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I don't see Dekker playing much this year, so Mchale has to get KJ minutes. It shouldn't be too hard assuming he works hard and improves over the summer.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yeah he's been seen with Ariza / Harden out at restaurants. I'm guessing they have a nice bond.

8. malakas

malakas Member

well it's most probably pr bullcrap that a 20 y.o was fed from his agent to say.
    However it wouldnt surprise me if he actually felt some kind of gratitude that he won't have to play anymore for the sixers and their trainwreck team.

9. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

K.J. got the standard Rockets rookie year treatment last year. No court time, every fan wondering if he is secretly the worst player ever because he puts out some ineffective garbage time minutes every fifth game or so.

But McHale, true to form, will magically trust him in year two and he will be an important part of our rotation. McHale takes a bit of time to warm up to the young guys, but once he does they are given as long of a leash as anybody. Playing for the Rockets means that year two is more like your rookie year than year one. Except the players have the added benefit of a year of practice against pros.

I suspect that we see KJ really start to fulfill some of that hype we heard about when we got him this season. FWIW, I think we will see that same phenomenon with Nick and Clint too. As for Dekker and Montrezl....see you in 2016!

2 people like this.
  10. joxford

joxford Member

ahh gotcha. And i didn't focus on anything else because it all looked correct. I could have said "everything else looks good", but I didn't. my bad I guess.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wish this got done BEFORE summer league. Probably doesn't matter anyway because they would have held him out for "health" reasons ;)

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And he won't be restricted after his 4th year in the league. KJ won big.

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

So we gave 3M+ a year for a guy who we didn't think was worthy of any minutes last year. How much will we give next year to free agents who are actually playing solid minutes?

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He has been working out with Johnson and Capela since the he has been here. Seems like he is really cool with Harden and Ariza too.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He's 21. Showed flashes in Philly. Dude is athletic n gets above the rim. Defense is aggressive. U can gamble 3 mill on that in this NBA world today.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Morey makes any trades before the season, it almost definately will include a wing guy, I imagine. There is no way all the 2/3 guys who can play get playing time. Unfortunately, I think that means Ariza, given BYC constraints. Papa and Ariza combine to give close to $13 mil, right? Unless you're just using Papa to absorb a pure salary dump... I think Papa + Ariza is the most efficient starting point for a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade that doesn't leave you with a gaping hole. You can cover the 3 and backup 2 with Brewer, KJ, and Dekker and whoever else (Thornton, Terry, etc)

17. malakas

malakas Member

Next step : sign Harrell, Sign Terry(?) Sign Wood (?)
    Make trade before season opener so we can still use the Prigs and Dorseys contract without having to cut anyone.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wood is signed

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

SEEMS SORT OF BAFFLING

20. OpenLayup-Why3?

I can no longer imagine this team without Ariza. I feel like he was key guy last regular season that paved our steady road through injuries to 2nd seed. His shot wasn't there more than it was, but his defense was always top notch. Brewer is energy guy, not a starting SF, neither is McDaniels yet. I really hope we don't trade Ariza. Brick bros show must go on!