1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign KJ McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AFS, Jul 19, 2015.

1. basketballholic

DeMarcus is one star that if we acquired would most likely be a package centered around DMo, Bev or KJ, Brewer, and picks. Sac has Rudy Gay. Ariza would possibly stay in Houston for that one.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lawson
    harden
    ariza
    cousins
    howard

horrible horrible roster!!!

would only win 65-75 games

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL can Cousins really be had for DMO, KJ/Bev, Brewer and picks? I have a hard time believing that if he could be had for that much he would have been traded for a top 10 pick already. I'm pretty sure if he was available for scraps DM would've been all over that already.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not going to say that DeMarcus Cousins wouldn't net more than a package built around DMo, but I will say that I think DMo has a ton more value around the league than most posters believe. Daryl Morey said a couple of years ago before DMo really turned the corner last season that the player he fielded the most phone calls about was DMo. The reason is that DMo is a very mobile 7 footer with very real back to the basket skills. Last season DMo proved that he is an outstanding post defender, hit his 3pt shots with a lot of accuracy and became somewhat deadly in the post on the offensive end.

What a lot of people don't realize is that DMo is still just 24 and not yet at his potential. So while I could see Sacramento asking and getting a top 10 pick for Cousins, DMo might be the better trade asset unless you are talking top 3 or 4 players of the draft. Even then I think its a crap shoot in many cases when you are talking about drafting a big man since very few come out of college with DMo's skills.

5. basketballholic

That's not a scrap package. Especially centered around DMo. Sure Boston can offer 6-8 draft picks for him but not one great player. And Sacramento is not wanting to rebuild. They're wanting to win now. I don't know if they'll find a better win-now ready-made replacement to plug into their lineup alongside WCS/Kostas than DMo. Boston, for sure doesn't have a DMo. Not to mention Bev or KJ, and Brewer aren't exactly chopped liver. Plus a couple future picks unprotected?

If DeMarcus goes on the block, we'll be a prime player. We may not get him but Morey will like up plenty of assets to get him...including DMo, who will most likely be getting paid more $$$$ than DeMarcus will in 2016-17. Think about that. DeMarcus (and Harden) will be getting paid less $$$ per season than DMo will be making after he gets maxed out.

This is right on. His value may be temporarily on hold because of his injury. But when he comes back and shows he's even better than last year his trade value is going to soar.

6. do work son

do work son Member

so we'd get arguably the best center in the league for a power forward coming off back surgery, a back up point guard or an unproven talented SG, a cherry picker, and picks.

ask any kings fan if they want that.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If Sac really decides to move Cousins (15,851,950) because of the feud with Karl, I could see a package with DMo ($2,288,205), KJ ($3,100,000?), Brewer ($8,229,375), Dekker (1,646,000) <total $15,263,580> plus picks being traded for Cousins.

Of course Sac would only do it if they believe that Cousins and Karl just can't work and Cousins demands a trade because the relationship with the organization is too damaged. There will be other packages that may be better, or may not depending...but that would not be a bad deal for Sac to build on their youth, IF Cousins demands out. No reason for them to do it without a Cousins demand imho.

Then they could/would probably try to trade Gay to someone for young star potential and other draft picks for a quick rebuild.

Rondo/Collison
    McLemore/Belineli/Curry
    Brewer/KJ/Butler
    DMo/Dekker
    WCS/Kostas

Plus whatever they get for Gay should have at least 1 nice starter caliber/rotation player and/or picks. And they have some other pieces as well. (Casspi, Anderson, Acy, Moreland, Dukan)

That would not be a bad team to build up from that could build chemistry and grow together.

Of course we would be stacked! :grin:

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/?
    Cousins/TJones/Harrell
    Howard/Capela

Would Morey do this though IF it would interfere with the pursuit of Durant? I say he probably would because I bird the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. Plus Cousins is your Dwight insurance if injuries persist.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm pretty sure Cousins could get his leg amputated and some team would still offer a better package then us.

If Cousins, a yet to be 25 year old superstar, arguably the best center in the nba, undoubtedly the most skilled, who is on a bargain contract for the next 3 years, can't net the Kings a top 2 pick + a young talented player, then nobody can.

Sure Dmo is a talented young player, but we need a top 3 pick to go with Dmo to have a decent package, and that's if the kings are dumb enough to fall apart so bad that they have to deal away and absolute stud. Chances are that Cousins is better then any of the top 3 picks over the next 5 years, Cousins is a very special talent that doesn't come around very often.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm one of the biggest DMO fanboys out there and I honestly think he's extremely underrated but it'll be crazy if he becomes the centerpiece for a Cousins trade. I mean sure Boston can't give them one great player, but DMO isn't exactly a great player either and the picks they get can either be flipped for better players or used to draft guys with potential.

Anyway prior to the Lawson trade I'd say this type of deal doesn't happen but now who knows? You're right, DMo will most likely get the max (hell Kanter got the max and he's half the player DMO is) so if we can exchange him for Cousins I think Les Alexander needs to build a statue for DM and his team in front of the arena lol.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Except that George Karl and Cousins have some major beef, and Cauley Stein actually beasted in SL. So if Karl earns Vivek's trust maybe this trade happens, you never know. DMo would be the perfect fit next to WCS and Rondo with his versatile offensive skillset so maybe they bite.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also, Olynyk and Smart are 2 young talented players. I'd take Olynyk and Smart over Dmo(who is also expiring) every day.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe only DMo of those can be traded now. Morey won't wait to pull trigger on a trade for a star.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Rondo (30, injury prone, head case, sucked last year) and a summer league beast (That means nothing, he's a rookie who has proved nothing) is enough for the Kings to feel comfortable with trading bonafide superstar Cousins, then they have some SERIOUS problems. BUT, my point is, even if they get to that completely ridiculous point, there has to be at LEAST 5 teams who will be offering a much better package.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

if Cousins actually does become available, I'd be shocked if OKC didn't gauge interest in a Ibaka/Kanter trade. There is no reality where Houston can make a competitive offer unless they include Howard or Harden.

KJ just offers a contingency in the event that we have to part with Brewer, Ariza, or both for another upgrade (PF) or a KD-salary dump.

15. basketballholic

I don't even know if I'd trade DMo for Demarcus except for the circumstances we find ourselves in with Dwight and his pending free agency. Dwight COULD walk. I don't think he will but what if he does? We'd have to chase Whiteside in free agency to get some sort of rim protection. I don't wanna go there.

Offensively I think DMo is a better player than Demarcus. But defense in the paint is such an important and necessary component of a championship team. While DMo is a much improved defender and individually a good defender 1-on-1 with most opposing bigs he is not the anchor you can run out there who will both throttle his man plus intimidate opposing drivers, cutters, and finishers. DMo needs to be played alongside that type of defender, which both Dwight and DeMarcus are.

And it is only for that reason would I even consider a DMo for DeMarcus trade.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm interested in how a KJ thread became a DMo vs Cousins thread.

But not interested enough to go back and read the last few pages.

KJ is such an inknown commodity that I can't wait to see him start to put it together for this deep roster.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know. It's kinda like "Wag the Dog." Introduce a new outlandish subject, watch the original point get lost.

But how can you stay on point when someone says Dmo is better than another player who, by all accounts, is at worst a top 10 or 15 player in the entire NBA?

As far as KJ, he'll get some burn when Brewer or Ariza....or KJ himself...are traded.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's only unknown to us. The coaching staff sees him every day. And he has played over 40 nba games. They know more about him than any rookie picked in the first round

20. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I cant even explain how moronic this post is. Cousins might be the best center in the league. Dmo is good but are you kidding me?