1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 17, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I remember my school recruiting this kid in high school. He has always had NBA measurables, but his makeup was an issue. And honestly it's probably worse that way than to be the other way around (Tarik Black for instance).

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What were they thinking before signing this guy? He is too fat. I seriously doubt if he can bring anything to practice.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, shedding fat is the easy part, if he shows he can play and is ready to give serious effort.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shedding excessive weight is easier than say a narcissistic syndrome that befell #BeWell Royce Fraud

5. saleem

Don't you think being overweight shows a lack of professionalism? We aren't talking about a few pounds here.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

food?

7. apatel123

apatel123 Member

8. saleem

I doubt if he will share it, Lol!

9. PeppermintCandy

His rebounding numbers seem meh for a big man.
    He does come from Georgetown, known for their centers, and Houston does need more depth at the five. But I doubt he's more than just preseason fodder.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

J Smoothie?

1 person likes this.
  11. dragician

dragician Member

He has the same shooting stroke as the first one.

I don't like this guy, his looks shows no confidence.

12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Wowwww J.R. really? I was so hype for a few seconds. Smh

13. Ñandu

Ñandu New Member

Punching bag for Dwight

14. stmeph

stmeph Member

Amazing, amazing thread.

Also the guy is huge. I doubt it leads to anything long-term as an NBA contract.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Perfect. Let's hope this because his nickname.

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

This is all about hope and salvaging.

The key part of the Laker workout video is the complement by coach Thompson of Georgetown. Smith doesn't look so fat in this video. His legs are what is larger than most NBA players. From that standpoint, he has the potential to be a cross between Mark Eaton and Chuck Hayes, defensively. I take Thompson's comments about, and to, Smith as saying, in a nice way, he isn't truly focused enough. Too little effort to succeed. Smith even says that's the "rap" on him. He knows.

The one shot he has here is that he will have high-grade big men to go against. I'm sure the hope is that going against Howard (and/or Hakeem) they will do the equivalent of "slap him around" a bit to shake him and wake hiim up to want a serviceable careen. Just watching the video he seems too laid back.

He is not built for taking jumpers, although his form isn't bad.. HIs size has "go up and dunk" written all over it. I never heard of him or saw him play before, so I don't know how he was used in H.S. or college. But I don't think Tompson's comments are just being polite. The pitfall is that habit does turn into nature and he may never "catch fire" all of the sudden. His admission of "not going to classes" confirms the rap, up to that point. It's up to him to see an opportunity here. We'll see.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Lol, my thoughts exactly :grin:

Only he's probably shied away from the fruit and veggie smoothies. Probably more of a sausage and bacon smoothie.

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Space City signs guy with his own gravitational pull

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so i saw a lot of this kid play at UCLA (heck I have a picture with him after the last game at the old Pauley Pavillion) and he has a lot of talent but the weight has always always been an issue for him.

I went to a boosters dinner his freshman year at UCLA (note: I was not rich enough to be a booster then or now, my former boss was and he invited me) and was talking to the assistant coach that was specifically in charge of getting him into shape. He was able to help him lose close to 40-50 pounds over the summer but when the season started and it was harder for him but he had the skill and was surprisingly nimble on his feet for his size. His knock was primarily his conditioning and propensity for fouls. When Tony Parker was on UCLA (PF/C Tony Parker not the spurs PG) he saw less of the floor and gained more weight and eventually left the team. It was unfortunately because talent wise he was the best big man UCLA had since Kevin Love.

If he is at 360 now he probably has to drop at least 80 pounds to have the remote chance of making a roster. And probably 120 to be around 250 to have a chance to stay signed throughout the season.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lebron is listed at 250 and he often plays small forward. I'm sure this kid will be fine if he gets down to 270-285 range. He's a big kid.