1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Jacobsen to one year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by str8tup, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Danbury

Danbury Member

This is a good move. We need shooters and Jacobsen can do that. Remember, he was a first round draft pick only 4 years ago. He hasn't really proven anything in this league yet, but which of our guards have? He's been a spot starter, like Snyder, and he comes cheap. I don't see how in our current situation people can think this is in any way bad for the Rockets. So he takes a roster spot, big deal, cut Ryan Bowen, Azubuike, or one of our other not so significant signings. He's got potential to be a contributer and hurt teams that swarm Yao and TMac. Last year teams didn't have to guard anyone else because we had no shooting. I'm glad Rockets management is attempting to address the most glaring problem of last years team, and I for one am glad they're giving Jacobsen a shot.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Good price, but a guy got cut by two teams in NBA and one of which spent a high draft pick on him must have more weakenss than strength. Not too high on him. Several games I saw him playing, he was shooting like low 30s from outside. He's not a sharp eye shooter with tons of confidence. The guy looked fragile from time to time and timid too.
    I will say he is even a poor man's version of Boki, who is still in the league.

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Jacobsen was a scoring machine at Stanford. He was fun to watch. Obviously, that doesn't mean jacksh1t in the NBA. He hasn't looked that good in the games I've seen him play in, but apparently the Hornets were better off with him than without him.

http://www.82games.com/0405NOH.HTM

4. superden

superden Contributing Member

Skip is a playground legend man!

5. Nero

Nero Member

My gut says that this signing is just a 'look-see', a freebie, a non-guaranteed contract to find out if the guy can contribute anything, even just as being a practice-floor body to play against for the rotation guys. With Novak on the roster, and apparently hitting lights-out in Vegas, CJ has a tall hill to climb to stick on this roster at all, let alone in the active group. If he shows well, has some energy and intensity on defense, works hard, and is willing to learn, and, most importantly, hits his shots, then he may actually stick around. If he is a net positive for the team, rather than a net negative, and if that value exceeds someone like Rybo's, then he stays. Otherwise, this just ends up being a free look, no harm done.

6. Omer

Omer Member

Seems like a strange signing. Don't know anything about him so we will have to see how it goes.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Some of you need to chill out. This guy is a non-guaranteed contract and I'd be surprised if he made the team. Even if he does, it's a one year contract at the league minimum. FYI, signing this guy has no effect whatsoever on our ability to sign Bonzi Wells or any other pipe dream you guys might have. The only reason we bit into our MLE to sign Vspan, Lucas, and Novak is because we wanted to get their bird rights by giving them third years, which Jacobsen wouldn't get. We'd have 2mil left of our MLE if we signed him, and 2mil left if we didn't. He'd basically cost us a roster spot that can be taken back any time. It's literally nothing.

Seriously, the same guy that said Jacobsen is a waste of time and money probably thinks that Dion Glover was some huge distraction last year that ruined our season. Man, why'd we go for Glover when we could have gone after Raja Bell with money we didn't freakin have?!? :rolleyes:

This is forgotten and done with before the season even starts.

#67 MrButtocks, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  8. HomerJ

HomerJ Member

What does partially guarantee contract mean? If he hits certain milestone, he gets pay a certain amount more? If so, I like it.

9. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Not to nitpick, but Jacobsen wasn't cut by two teams. Phoenix drafted him and he had a poor rookie season but a decent second season in which he started 13 games, ranked 9th in the NBA in 3pt %, and was the recipient of the Dan Majerle Hustle Award. He was traded to New Orleans in his 3rd season for Jim Jackson (who was still a decent player and was just traded by Houston for David Wesley). New Orleans opted not to re-sign him after his third season.

10. redhova

redhova Member

I watched him play too he took a lot of dumb shots but I think on an offense with structure he could be more efficient in Pheonix he shot around 38% from 3 in 3 years, not bad. Also look at the Phoenix roster they have better players for that style than him. He also shot 37% from 3 for New Orleans and this is the only reason why he is on this team his percentages are comparible to anyone on the roster last year and eventhough not a great defender does have the height for offense. He is a role player who will actually be able to play his role in Houston at worst with this signing we break even. I do agree however we do need a PF/C but, with the experience with Stro and the price tag on Wilcox and Gooden they took the wait and see approach. I think Eli would be a great addition for us though.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bokie nachbar part deux

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the Rockets have signed that Haryasz guy as well. They added it as a footnote to the Jacobsen article. So there's another guy that probably won't make it past training camp.

13. vizier

vizier Member

splash...

14. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

The Texans brought in many players to provide competition at every position. They did this to push the players, to force them to go 100% all the time. It seems to have worked for the Texans.

I think JVC is doing a similer motavational tactic. If Casey from Stanford shoots lights out and plays smart JVC defense, he might make the team. If not, he is pushing the young guards to get better.

This is a nice, no risk siging. No downside, all upside if Casey shoots great.

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

LOL, I think I know why you never bothered to respond to my last post. If signing Jacobsen burned your hide, I guess you now committed suicide after learning the Rockets signed this Harryass guy.

Are you now starting to realize the Rockets are simply signing practice squad guys ...or are you still upset we didn't sign Bonzi Wells (which would be nearly impossible under salary cap rules)?

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Why does everyone keep saying this, we have Juwon, Hayes, Battier, T-mac in spots. Not exactly setting the world on fire but we have the best center in the NBA, so we don't need a dominant PF. Even if we could go after someone like Reggie Evans I think it would be a waste of money. We need shooting and atheltecism, the way the game is being played now you end up going small 80% of the time anyway. So to everyone holding onto the idea that we are going after a PF so we can unload Juwon needs to snap outta that dream, unless your willing to take another crappy contract in return. Another thing to consider is that actually this season our most attractive trade bait will be Battier.

17. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I like the signing since he is an outside shooter and we definitely need as many as we can get....

The Chronicle mentioned that Frahm signed with a Euro team...so he is gone? We could have used his 3 pt shooting.... :confused:

18. dreammvp

who do you know it worked for the Texans...all you know is that they went 2-14 last season...they haven't even played a game this season....to me it seems like the Texans have made all the wrong moves...didn't draft Bush (davis out for season)..didn't draft a QB (carr sucks)..and now they are picking up the trash the Broncos are throwing out (Dayne) and calling it a nice signing...if you are relying on picking up players that other teams are calling garbage, you are in trouble...I pray to God the rockets are not following the blueprint the Texans are following...I think the Texans are in store for another 2-14 or 3-13 season....

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Chronicle mentioned that Frahm signed with a Euro team...so he is gone? We could have used his 3 pt shooting....

that one puzzles me too. he did bring some assets to the team and he was hardly a liability on offense and defense. i would expect to see him back in the NBA sooner orr later

20. dreammvp

I totally agree....you can't have too many shooters on yoru roster the way or offense is run....we need sharp shootters to keep the double team off of yao