1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think you are aware that Rubio doesn't put much effort into improving his outside shot. Only this year did he start paying heed to lifting weights in order to get stronger.He has a long way to go, and we need spacing now.

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

See I still don't believe that. We can fix that and get Rubio at the same time. Just trade up in the draft and select a shooter or try to sign one of the many sharpshooters in free agency this year. And Rubio can fix our playmaking problems.

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Who better to create spacing than a PLAYMAKER.

4. basketballholic

Ricky is a consumate professional. He's been working with a shooting coach for 2 seasons now. IN 13-14 he showed drastic improvement in his jumper. Last season he was hurt and never really got out of the gate.

And Ricky did that work (and will continue doing it) because his coach wants to take one of the best playmakers on the planet and have him score the ball more. No complaints from Ricky. No complaints about being surrounded with the worst shooters in the whole league for his whole NBA career. He just went to work on his shot.

Ugh. I get so tired of trying to explain to you guys Rubio's value to winning. Now we're going back to he's never won anything. Whatever.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

all of those are huge weakness and for rubio specifically his main. and if you're talking about being a significant player on this team those cannot be your main weaknesses

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I Jason Kidd like improvement in the three ball would make him a perfect compliment to Harden.

Personally don't understand why people would hate this deal so much.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What salary do we have that needs to be dumped? Lmao

Dorsey for 950k is literally the only guaranteed contract that isn't on a rookie deal outside of Howard, Harden and Ariza.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you continue to say all of this yet Rubio has shown nothing to back this up. comes without saying you're the only one that thinks Rubio is this awesome player, yet nothing supports that. that should tell you something

9. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Papa. Prigs. Jones.

10. basketballholic

By the way, just to be clear, I am in no wise advocating trading for Ricky at this time. It's not what I would do. I would have traded for Rubio during the season last year and had him in restricted free agency right now, waiting to match an offer, and looking to sign a max free agent with the cap space I would have if I had Rubio and his restricted free agency status on the books instead of other salaries.

But now, he's already got an extension. Oh, I'd still trade for him if the right deal came along. But the timing isn't quite there right now. We've got bigger fish to fry. Like I said about Ariza being an ideal 5th man, Ricky is the ideal distributor to add when you have your big 3 scorers in place. Right now we've got Harden and Dwight and possibly DMo. But we really need to add that 2nd option (above both Dwight and DMo) and then look to possibly adding a premier playmaker at the point.

So, while I still like Rubio a ton....I liked him better when he was on his rookie contract and facing restricted free agency...because of the cap flexibility his cap hold would give us right now if he were restricted. However, I'd still take him in trade as long as we were set up to still pursue a max free agent next summer. Which means....Ariza has to go. Just like in all my other scenarios, Ariza has to go for us to get a true #2 option and make Dwight option #3 and for us to get still a 4th guy (outstanding rookie hopefully) to complete our Big 4.

11. xaos

xaos Member

I was thinking the same thing too. Some of these guys just tweet ideas to sound informed.

It is like earlier on twitter, Marc Stein said that we were trying to clear cap space. Bimathug mentioned @Stein that it wouldn't make any difference and the only name worth mentioning when talking about clearing cap space would be Ariza. 2 minutes later Stein mentioned that Rockets are exploring all avenues to clear cap space, but this would be a minor move money-wise. LOL. He tried to cover his butt after Bima put him in his place.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you do realize their numbers came back down to earth right.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Ricky would be awesome on this team. Team will greatly benefit.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ricky is a "Consummate Professional" who has been working for 2 years on his jump shot.

Therefore he's the answer to all the Rockets problems.

No matter how much work he's put in and no matter how professional he might act, he's still a whopping 35% FG scorer, and 25% 3 point shooter.

I have access to webmd.com and bought some nice scrubs, and a white coat... I guess I am ready to be a heart surgeon.

15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

We trade for Rubio and Llull is coming over. Book it.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Honest question on Rubio... I know that he can't shoot, but can he consistently beat his man and get to the rack at will? Similar to Rajon Rondo during his prime?

17. Raven

Raven Member

He's overpaid for his production. I'm not surprised Minny wants to dump him. Pass.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

getting an injured prone starting PG is exactly what we needed

19. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Define Back down to earth. Because Smith had games late in the season and in the playoffs where he'd go 5/5 from three. That's not a 30% 3PT shooter. Same with Brew. And even if they are bad shooters, they still played better here than in their previous situation. And almost everyone wants them back. Can't really judge Rubio until he's in a good situation to see how he really plays with good players.

20. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Yea, but he tend to finish with a below-average percentage once he gets there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.