1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

But that's not a risk, trade for Rubio is a risk, sign Barnes or Whitside at the max is a risk, taking back in a trade Pekpvic is not a risk, it's just a bad move.

I'm not sure there are more than 2 or 3 teams out there in a desperate search of a pg (with a huge limit in his game) and willin to spend a lot of assets for that...maybe if we miss on basically every player in free agency ok, but if not, just stand pat, if they want to shop him that bad they'll lower their demand, if not, let them enjoy wasting a third of their cap space on two players they don't want.

With 26 millions you can take back better player/s than Pekovic and gain some picks.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

No team want Rubio now...

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Give MDA bricker PG = Disaster

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

This thread is way overdue being locked up and the key being thrown away.

6. malakas

malakas Member

There are.
    Kings, Memphis, BKN, Chicago , Philladelphia and Rockets and all of them as far I remember have capspace to take on Pekovic.
    There's only Conley. For the losers of his "sweepstakes" Rubio will probably be the best alternative.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To be clear, I don't want to take back Pek. But I'm also not under any illusions that we'll be contending next year. I think even Doc Rocket said we are now all about NEXT year's free agency; which makes sense considering the most likely outcome with KD is that he does a 1yr deal to stay in OKC. At that point Pek would be off the books. This deal would be about Rubio as a key rebuilding (retooling) piece.

This was the scenario put out there so I'm just commenting on it. I have a feeling if this comes to pass, Brew is in the deal, which I'm sure would make folks feel much better about pulling the trigger on.

8. malakas

malakas Member

oh nope. Pek won't be off the books next year. He has 2 years remaining under contract.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hmmm. Then that certainly changes things in my mind. But in all fairness he's had one really bad year (last year). It could be an anomaly

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

We don't know yet.

Kings can and want to keep Rondo, they are not high on Rubio anyway.

Memphis will try to keep Conley (and Rubio doesn't fit with them anyway, Gasol and Z.Bo are not running the floor).

BKN yes, but they can only take back Pek, they have no assets, maybe only Rondae which is meh though.

Bulls are probably ok with Rubio but they are probably not that desperate for a pg (having Butler) to take back and pay for two years Pek, they already have Lopez and their owner is cheap, i can't see him being ok in paying an euro player not even able to stay on the court.

The Sixers i really don't know, with Simmons i don't think they need Rubio, and same for Pek since they have 3 centers...ok, they can still take him since they have a lot of space, but i think Bryan will want to be aggressive in free agency so i really don't know...in the end they may have interest, but i don't think they are desperate to take Rubio, even though Bryan likes euro player.

The Rockets are probably not desperate having Harden.

What about the Bucks though? :grin:

Anyway, again, i can see some teams having interest, but teams willin to take back Pek and eat a third of their cap space cause they want Rubio that bad...not really.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What player doesn't want to play with a true pass first pg who could set them up and make things easier for them? KD could look at the situation we could create with 2 players in rubio and harden who would make things a ton easier on him offensively with 2 guards who look to pass first rather than score. Cough westbrick cough

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's fair enough i guess, if we really want to trust Harden/Rubio pair and we're already looking at the next season ok.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Kings have Conley as first choice and Rondo is just an option. Rubio is an option as well IF Conley fails.
    Memphis if they lose Conley then what? Wroten and Baldwin? Rubio is much better than either of them by miles.

Sure Reinsdorf is cheap but do you know what else he is more than cheap? Someone who wants to by all means neccesary make his playoff $. and right now the Bulls look nothing close to a playoff roster.:) :) :) Butler already proved last year he can't be the primary playmaker and Grant has ages before he can become a starter.

BKN is the floor of this deal. They can take on Pek. Thats why this is the prequisite to get Rubio. You have to at the very least be able to take on Pek.

I dont' think that Collangelo can find any good pg and they still need someone to guard pgs. Simmons won't be able to guard pfs and sfs let along guards.

My Bucks haven't even be heard in these discussions and that is a reinforcement to all the tons and tons of rumours by multiple reliable sources that they will pay Delladenova.
    I think it's pretty much a done deal. He's a Swartz client after all.
    A pass first pg isn't the right term to describe Rubio. "Pass FIRST" means that the pg can also score, shoot and finish and he can't. D and pass pg more likely.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Memphis keeps making small panic moves for point guards. I think they're definitely worried Conley will walk.

Sorry, but we aren't taking on Pekovic's contract. No way. Total waste. That;d essentially be $25,000,000 to get Rubio. You could spend that on Conley anyway.

I forget the poster who seems sure Houston and Chicago are vying for Rubio. I don't know the merits of that. The Pekovic thing was from some ESPN dude or whomever. I think we can forget that much of it.

15. basketballholic

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zcust5ohM2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AJZ0H-lEvb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These two players at the 1 and 5 defending against pick-and-roll offenses would be hell to deal with. We need to clear the roster to trade for these two guys. And if Durant doesn't understand what he would have here playing next to Harden as option 1a and 1b with the best defensive pair at the 1 and 5 in the Association then he's not smart enough to be a Rocket anyways. Rubio and Noel combined with Harden, Durant, Uthoff, Payton II, and DMo. That a nasty, nasty combo.

#1095 basketballholic, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  16. Nachobar

Nachobar Where’s my chips?

Houston still player 1a for Rubio. Talks are now how much WE would have to give up to get Rubio and Pek (won't trade Rubio w/out his contract).

Looks like it's down to Ariza + non-essentials + picks OR Bev + Brewer + one of our two unsigned picks.

I've been under the impression that it was Ariza + some, but Bev/Brew was brought up today by my friend.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Get rid of Bev/Brew. We need a real PG up in here.

18. Airdough

Airdough Member

If the Rockets believe Rubio is worth it, then take on Pek. They can still sign another good free agent this offseason or a combo for depth. Next offseason if Pek doesn't rebound, you can try to package him as an expiring contract with an asset attached to free up cap space. Rubio does fit from the perspective that he can create. If MDA could get the most out of Lin, he's bound to get something more from Rubio.

However, I would hope the Rockets have a better plan. I get the feeling the only reason now why Harden would stay is the size of the max deal he'd get here versus thinking this team could be a contender.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Music to my ears. But I choose to get rid of ariza would love a bev Rubio combo harassing PGs all game long.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Makes since one bad contract for another and thibs prolly likes bev over ariza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.