1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basketballholic

Schroder is not available. They know how good he is. They're not moving him.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I dislike it when threads with sweeping, suggestive statements get bumped and I click into them thinking there is actually some NEWS that has to do with the topic.

3. Asian Sensation

So much b****ing and complaining over a guy that would be a CLEAR upgrade compared to Bev. It's not likely we're even going to be able to get him but if we could I'd be excited.

People are complaining about Rubio not being a good enough shooter to fit with us. Well Bev isn't a good enough dribbler, distributor, passer, scorer, FT shooter, in addition to having zero vision, creativity or general resemblance of a starting PG. His Defense is overrated and he can't even make a damn layup and he's often injured in pivotal moments. I bet the guys that asked why we cut Livingston are the same ones that think Rubio sucks.

Rubio may not be a dead-eye shooter like Bev (I'm being facetious) but his FT shooting suggests that he can be a good shooter one day. Also, he just doesn't shoot very much at all to begin with... yet he was a better scorer than Bev. A traditional pass first shoot second (err last) PG would be a welcome site to this team. We haven't had a traditional pass 1st pg on this team since John Lucas and that was a long ass time ago.

Out of all the guys that may be available or potentially available to upgrade the PG spot Rubio may not be my first second or third choice but he's right there after that. My first choices would be trading for Jeff Teague or Eric Bledsoe. 2nd choice would be Conley at a NOT full Max deal (he'll get the max I'm sure) and then after that you have to seriously consider Rondo based on asking price and Rubio based on availability.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Have you lost it bro?

Rubio is not a poor shooter/scorer, he is totally incapable of scoring, he is easily the worst scorer in the league. To put this into perspective for you, he is as bad a scorer as James Harden is a defender. The absolute worst, in terms of scoring he would probably be ranked somewhere around 440th best player out of 450 total active players in the league. Just let that sink in for a second.

Secondly, Bev is not great at all those things you mentioned, but the majority of what he has to do is hit open 3's, not turn it over and play decent defense. Harden handled the rock whether it was Bev or Lawson or any other PG on the floor. Bev does all of those things. Not to mention, he has developed his 3pt shot to the point he's an actual threat. Not to mention, few people give as much of a F about winning as Bev. We trotted out a bunch of wusses last season, and if anything we need more people with Bev's character.

Finally, BEV MAKES LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT RUBIO MAKES. If Rubio were making 6m, your argument would make sense. Rubio becoming an all star is not really impressive, it's just the least he can do to earn his salary. There's no pat on the back for being a potential future all star for $13m lol.

5. Asian Sensation

I'll take Rubio at 13M over Bev at 6M every damn day. 6M is a lot of money for a backup PG. Does Bev care about winning? Sure.. Did he help us win anything or was he on the court in our most successful run since he's been here (WCF)? No.

Bev's defense and character are two of the most overrated things on this board. It's not like he's an elite lockdown defender. He hustles and plays hard because he's a scrub that's trying to "make it". When his 3 is off he's pretty much useless.

Rubio is equal or better than Bev when it comes to scoring but in addition to that he was creating opportunities, points, and possessions with his assists, rebounds and steals. In addition he's only 25 and has room to improve. As for Bev he hasn't improved anything since he's been in the league save a 3pt shot that is not very consistent. He's actually regressed in a lot of areas and I can't see him improving or getting better in the future. He has a very low ceiling and is what he is.

We trotted out the worst starting PG last season and it showed. But I guess there is a pat on the back for a 6M backup PG trying to cut it as a starting PG even though he failed miserably ...because "effort and character".

6. Pete the Cheat

so he is young and he showed improvement last year...I understand the allure of grasping for some ray of hope given our current situation...

but just look at the numbers AS. his percentages within 3 feet are horrific...and he takes over 50% of his shots from there. even his 3pt % is in the low 30s. the rest of his game is intriguing...but there's no way you are going to beat the Warriors and Cavs of the world with that kind of offensive liability playing heavy minutes...

bottom line is your are paying over twice as much for a marginal upgrade. I agree we need to improve at the position...but there are (much) better options out there

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Whereas Minny is very much aware of how bad Rubio is, so they'd love to move him.

Fortunately for us, Morey has zero interest in Rubio.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Bro, you're all over the place, way off the rails.

6m is going to be less than the league average salary. It is the salary of a below average player. So even if we take your biased assessment that Beverley is below average, he is worth his money.

Rubio makes 13m and that's All Star money. He can't score at the rim, in mid range, or at the 3pt line. He is the worst scorer in the entire league right now and consider that he's been playing pro basketball a LONG time and been coached as a high first rounder - i.e. probably lots of attention from development staff. He WILL get a decent 3pt shot soon but at the moment he is garbage at offense.

To put this in context, he is worse at scoring than Beverley is at passing, BY A WIDE MARGIN. Beverley is Steph Curry compared to Rubio's scoring.

Now, Rubio is a good defender. He's a great passer. I would take Rubio for free - as in if we don't give up a single valuable asset to get him - but you are being a drama queen. Rubio is not this monster player who can change a whole team. PG's who can't score are not succeeding in today's NBA. The final four teams for two years running are teams putting the ball in the hands of:

Westbrook
    Curry
    Harden
    Irving
    Lowry
    Teague

The All NBA first team has Westbrook and Curry. The second team has Damian Lillard and Chris Paul - who has never been past the 2nd round in his career. The third team is Kyle Lowry and Klay Thompson.

Do you see the trend here? The guy who is only a floor general is done. If your PG can't score, opponents know how to choke your team out. Rubio was picked at the end of the era that suited him, so now he's going to have to adapt and change.

The LEAST of our problems is Pat Beverley. At $6m he is a SUPER cheap contract with a winner mentality, fights for every ball, doesn't shy away from roughing up star players, can hit the 3 at a 40% clip, and doesn't turn the ball over. That's what you're complaining about, that THAT guy can't dribble the ball like Steph Curry or defend like Gary Payton.

Get a grip son. The drama is too much. If Rubio will cost us assets, you have to think about whether you want to invest in a dying breed. If I'm wrong about Rubio improving his 3pt shot, then we will be stuck with a $13-15m player who is hurting our elite scorer's ability to score and can't use that money to buy more depth. We have cap space so we can acquire contracts outright, there are plenty of options. Be realistic about Rubio, not everything is about getting on sports center.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People still want Rubio? That guy is so overrated on CF that it's not even funny anymore.

10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd put $20 in the tip jar if Clutch would lock this thread this month. Rubio hasn't and isn't going to develop a shot. He's is what he is. A decent passing point that has great handles and makes good point guard decisions, but CANNOT shoot. We need shooters more than anything. If Rubio made less than Bev I'd consider it but Rubio is overpaid.

Rondo is in the same ship that has sailed.

Conley at 37% from 3 would be a good start.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

All that would happen is Thibs wins MORE games with BEVERLEY starting at PG than we do with Rubio, and we look even dumber than we already do.

12. basketballholic

Haven't heard anything from Minny since Thibs took over. Need to watch what they do in the draft. If they go get Baldwin or trade up for Dunn or Murray then you could possibly see Rubio on the trade market for a big man. If they draft Poeltl or some other big then I think Thibs gonna keep Rubio.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You can live with Rubio if you have other elite shooters surrounding him. GSW's best lineups usually consist of Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala in at the same time, are those two good shooters? No. But they DO bring other things like defense, poise, and hustle. If MDA is so smart he would easily be able to integrate Rubio into a good offensive team, provided that we get real shooters at PF/SF.

14. basketballholic

Agree with this. Rubio is elite at breaking the defense down. If he has 4 guys to throw the ball to in an uptempo MDA system he'd be something to see. The game has not passed him by. LOL Some of you just don't understand the variance possibilities of the game.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Sergio > Rubio with injuries and miles

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

For the record, I'd take Rubio for 13m on some teams but not on the Rockets with Harden handling the rock so much. But I wouldnt take Beverley for 6m on any team.

And no, 13m is not all star money. 13m is Enes Kanter money.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I still don't understand the Rubio fascination. What has Rubio ever lead his team to? Definitely not the playoffs.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

You sure about that? Hasn't Morey always loved Rubio?

Either way, yeah i'm more interested in bringing in Sergio Llull as the starter to see what he's capable of.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is a stupid argument as well. What did Kevin Love lead them to? No playoffs. Not even once. What did KG lead the Wolves to? 1 WCF appearance among a bunch of first round exits.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Mmm...yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.