1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should've just kept Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Well..the Warriors will not be the team to beat in the west in my opinion

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe if Chris Paul spent the conference semifinals thanking and supporting Harden for dragging that sorry ass roster to the dance he would’ve got another chance to run it back. Or even beaten the vaunted warriors. Who knows...

But no. Allergic to the conference final round ass Chris Paul spent the series b****ing at Harden and telling him he was playing basketball the wrong way, after one of the very worst years of his career and definitely getting outplayed by both Harden AND Gordon during the series.

tc0330, RudyTBag, CCity Zero and 5 others like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

The Thunder are now unable to move Paul and maybe resigned to the fact that he has to play the year out in OKC. That is how bad the combination of that contract and the obvious decline in his play is.No one wants any part of it!

They will probaly let him stat pad the hell of the ball and hope the inflated numbers might fool someone to take him at the deadline or next offseason

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Without Westbrook, we probaly don't get Tyson Chandler the best available backup to Capela. And players probaly want to play with Brodie than CP3. Apparently Capela knows the Brodie name.

#84 bloodwings19, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    threepointshot3 and rhee like this.
  5. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Exactly. It’s more likely the Warriors get eliminated by the Clippers, Lakers, Trailblazers, or Nuggets. The Rockets will need to contend with these teams and having CP3 wasn’t enough to build a championship team. Also, if Westbrook doesn’t work out he’s still young and talented enough to trade, whereas the window for trading CP3’s contract was winding down fast. No way a team was taking on his contract after he turns 35.

threepointshot3 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He's a more talented, more athletic version of Pat Beverley. Beverley's a better defender & 3pt shooter, but WB brings it every night the same way. We'll love him until he starts bricking open shots

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We absolutely should not have

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

And rivers wouldnt have gone back to play for less

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The Thunder are certainly used to altering their coaching schemes specifically to let one guard pad his stats. I expect a 24pts-11ast year out of Chris Paul amidst a 20-62 record; the only question is how many games he can stay healthy for.

#89 Spacemoth, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It is odd to me a pure Point Guard like Chris Paul can't recruit players to the Rockets, only P.J Tucker.

Russell Westbrook is more relatable, friendly towards others, encouraging teammates.

Chris Paul just barks, whines, complains, b****, moan, to Referees, especially Scott Foster, Ken Mauer.
    The black cloud of Chris Paul is gone now along with Scott Foster dictatorship, hopefully.

Hopefully Nike and Jordan Brand can help officiating, with Russell Westbrook.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I loved CP3 but he’s getting old FAST. The fit was better, but do you really want Harden to burn himself out just dragging the Rockets into the playoffs? At least with Russ there’s a higher probability that he stays on the court.

vlaurelio, rockets1995 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

One thing we will miss with Chris Paul is calmness under pressure on the basketball court. At times I think he over thinks the game. Anyone who knows anything about basketball, understands that this is what the Rockets lacked before. All that being said, Paul is following the trend of all great PG's that just age...His mind is sharp as ever, but he just doesnt have it. The injury thing really was a huge deal twice while he was here. First DURING the playoffs while we were up 3-2 on the Warriors. That was a huge and blown opportunity for this team. Then it happened again this year. Before Harden went nuclear, the Rockets were trying to play a more natural offense, that just wasnt working out well. Paul got hurt and everything changed. The Rockets started winning and it was ALL Harden being super human. Paul returns to a completely different team, and never found a way to remain impactful. It was glaring during the playoffs against the Warriors.

The Rockets could have stayed pat...And i do think that is what Morey wanted till something better came along. But then the Clippers happened. The owner, the guy who was livid that the Rockets got bounced by the Warriors again(without KD) promised a change. He delivered on putting talent on paper. Its time for the paper to deliver in results.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Both of you... stop. :D

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

ME: I love Chris Paul and wish we still had him.

The Masses: SHUT UP PAUL.

[​IMG]

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

#hobbleitback

vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Seriously? While I take your point about the warriors being worse next year, it’s pretty clear that Utah and both LA teams got much better. I don’t think there is a clear favorite in the west going into the season. But the decision to move CP3 was clearly driven by James’ desire to be rid of him. So it’s not like sticking with CP3 was much of an option.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just my opinion but I think the pick swaps were virtually worthless. OKC will likely be a bad team picking far earlier than the Rockets in those years.

Very frustrated they didn't take back the +25% salary …. So much for "doing all we can to win"

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think we are going to see a much different energy this year. Not just effort wise and athleticism wise, but we will actually have a guy that is willing to get the ball and push it up the floor. And I think we will see Harden try to match that energy.

There will be some head scratching plays for sure, but damn games are going to be fun to watch again. And wins will come with it.

19. riko

riko Member

That is their only way of unloading him in 2020.let him just stat pad rock and hope someone is willing to go after him next offseason.Probaly mentor SGA to but having Paul dominating the ball could Hinder his growth.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

ITA about not expanding the trade. Even someone like Crowder(7mil) would've been good.

Disagree slightly about the swap though. The 2021 swap is as you described "worthless." Not only will Harden likely still be with the Rockets, the swap is also 1-20 protected. And OKC also has an unprotected swap with LAC in 2021 in the unlikely event they are terrible.

The 2025 pick swap however... thats a long way from now. Harden will be 36 and who knows where. Worst, the pick is only 1-4 protected.