1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should pick Yi Jianlian

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sime0n, Apr 17, 2006.

1. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I would take him if he's available in the 2nd round, but a big problem I see is that Yi's name is way to short. It looks weird on a Jersey.

[​IMG]

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

we'll be over the nba limit for chinese ppl

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

One thing for sure, unlike yao, this kid likes to dunk!!!

4. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

come on, he is only 17. yao was nothing when he was 17. :eek:

5. slmonky

slmonky Member

Not a bad idea, plus, Yi and Yao maybe able to build some sort of chemistry. I think what every good team need isn't great ball player but Great chemistry.... hope Rockets can have it next season...

6. CHC

CHC Member

This kid looks pretty good. Not NBA ready though, he is too frail. He seriously need to gain some muscle mass. But we still need to address our issue of needing a SG first. Any chance we can pick him in a second round? :D

7. SlamDown

SlamDown Member

Yi defenitely should be gone in the first round, picked by Golden State. I would bet real money on that. Anyone? :cool:

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

With their lotto pick? I doubt it. GS has a sizeable Asian fanbase, but their fan support is stable already. They're not selling out, yet are certainly in better shape than Portland, Atlanta, or Charlotte. They don't need to waste their lottery on a risky project just to sell tickets. And that's what Yi is, a project. He's definitely a Johan Petro type, and those should be picked in the 20's. Yi won't fall to the second round but won't slip into the top ten either. Yi might have gone second round if this weren't such a weak draft.

#108 MrButtocks, Apr 18, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  9. umberto

umberto Member

Using first round pick to draft Yi is clearly not a wise move for Roc desperately needs to draft someone that can make an immediate impact. No matter how you look at it, Yi is a 2-to-3-year project. Nonetheless, since Yi is part of Team Yao, he will probably be recommended to Roc via that connection. But I think it's neither in the interest of Yi nor Roc if he land in Houston. Besides, it is said that the CBA wants an assurance of 10 min playing time from Team Yao. That makes Yi's nba career all the more difficult. I dont see JVG accede to that kind of nonsense.

10. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Yi's dunks aren't even that explosive and he looks slow when making moves toward the basket. Don't know how people can compare him to KG!!

oh yes..let's draft Yi and we'll then have a Yi Only Fan base as well as a Yao Only Fan base.

YIOF and YOF ;)

11. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

I'm not sure about drafting this kid......but wasn't this the same rational CD used to pass on Rashard Lewis for Brice Drew and Mirsad Turcan. I hope he and JVG do a better job of talent evaluation this time.

12. m004378

m004378 Member

How about draft Suzuki Ichiro for PG. :D

13. sime0n

sime0n Member

There's an article about sun yue in the recent ESPN magazine, its about his entire team.

draftexpress wrote a column about him. he's automatically eligible for the draft even though he's born in 1985 because he's played pro ball in the US, not in the nba (ABA).

link

14. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I am appauled at the name calling. You disgust me. So what if I heart Yi and Yao?

Plus, you missed the Wang Only Fanbase!

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Hold on. Are you saying his draft rights are going to be up for grabs this upcoming draft? If I was the Rockets, I'd sure as hell get him in for a workout. If he impresses like I think he will, picking him up with our 2nd rounder would seem like a slam dunk.

16. clutch0734

clutch0734 Member

If we draft Yi are we going to have another blockbuster movie entitled "The Year of the Yi?"

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... and don't forget the arrival of YoYi... :D

18. GrapeJuices

GrapeJuices Contributing Member

I dunno, Deke at his age of 66 looks more explosive than this kid. Yi can soar no doubt, but he's not "explosive."

He has a lot of raw talent... and i believe will turn into a superstar with intense training and dedication since he has so much raw natural talent but like everyone logical in this thread says, he will take probaly 4 years to become that superstar.

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Jianlian: Can I write a check?

Cashier: Yeah

Jianlian: ...Yi

Chashier:
    Yeah

Jianlian: Yi!

20. sime0n

sime0n Member

Yi looks more explosive than this kid? have you seen the nike commercial on google video?

vid