1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should make a run at Carmelo Anthony in summer of 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 12, 2010.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Forget Melo bring in Durant

2. SugarLandDream8

90% of the teams in the NBA would gladly offer Yao the max just to make their franchise profitable.

MJ would give his left testicle to have Yao and stop the financial bleeding of the Bobcats

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I don't see why Melo would have any reason to leave Denver. I mean they will pay the man, Denver will still be one of top team in the West. Why leave?

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This ^

--RB

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

OK can we all stop posting let's get [insert star player you saw play last night] threads?

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Durant would be an AWESOME addition to this team. Also there is no way that Yao deserves a max contract when his contractp. His with injury history along with his Chinese obligations should make him a 7 - 10 million man.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Durant would be an AWESOME addition to this team. Also there is no way that Yao deserves a max contract when his contract is up. His injury history along with his Chinese obligations should make him a 7 - 10 million man.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sounds like a Morey type move, always two steps ahead. While everyone is battling over 5 Max players this summer smart teams will look at 2011 when more reasonable deals/players will be there for the taking.

9. LifeisButaDream

Is it me or does carmelo have a low BBIQ?

10. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Yao will NEVER leave H-town, Les won't allow it.

11. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Durant = Championship

12. feihung316

feihung316 Member

if this is possible, lowry should definitely start

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I like it. After 2011, the Rockets only have Ariza and Martin for $18 million in committed salary. They could definitely make a run at a premier free agent. I doubt Carmelo will forgo his player option in 2011. He would probably take a pay cut under the new CBA for 2011.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

OKC will re-sign Durant. He's a RFA so there is no way they won't bring him back. Melo has a player option for '11-12 that I think he will exercise because over the new CBA. He won't want to leave all that money on the table.

As I mentioned in my other thread (which seems to have disappeared) I think our best chance to upgrade SF would still be Iggy.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's what we said about Hakeem in 1995, after 2 championships.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not if the Rockets have massive cap room which they could if they let go of Battier.

Brooks will still be under contract and if they sign Carmelo before giving Scola a bigger contract they will be fine. It all hinges on getting Yao for $12 million or less.

And Durant won't come here for the reason you mentioned. Iggy is not going to be a major upgrade of Battier/Ariza.

For those who think Carmelo and Martin can't co-exist - that too many scorers are bad...you don't get it. More scorers make the offensive game easier and they all score a lot more. Look at Boston - you don't see Pierce and Allen having problems.

It's Carmelo or bust

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hakeem from a marketing standpoint is no yao ming.

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

What happen if the offer was

YAO for KD ?

would LES think.....

19. rimshot

rimshot Member

Bosh priority, then carmelo, then camby.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brooks will actually need to be re-signed after next season, and will demand a huge raise if he keeps playing like this. Lowry and Scola are also getting sizable raises this off-season.

I'm thinking it looks something like this:

Lowry: $4M
    Scola: $7M
    Brooks: $7M
    Yao: $12M
    Martin: $12M
    Ariza: $6.8M
    Hill: $2.9M
    Budinger: $0.8M
    2010 first round pick: $2M
    2011 first round pick: $2M
    LLE-MLE free agent(s): $4M(?)

Total: $60.5M

So if we bring back Yao, we will be over the cap. If he retires or we let him walk (the latter is very unlikely), we will be only a little bit under it. Either way, we won't have room for a max free agent.