1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should make a move for Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, May 9, 2006.

1. docgundy

docgundy Member

JVG was just on NBATV and he said that Adelman will be the most sought after coach in the NBA this offseason. He was praising him for all the success he had in Sacto. JVG is safe in HTown though.

2. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Defense can win championship, everybody knows.

But defense ONLY cant win championship.

Do any of you guys honestly think JVG's team can beat Suns in a playoff series?

3. SlamDown

SlamDown Member

Adelman or whoever, just give me a non-JVG for a change. Gee, JVG's style of basketball is horrible... :mad:

4. MONON

MONON Member

Could RA and JVG coexist with each other? If they could, we'd be in the championships for years to come.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

okay, here's the plan. Let's chip in and buy an advertisement in the Chronicle stating that we need JVG to be demoted. Mattress Mac did it for Calvin, lets see if it'll work for Adleman

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did JVG quit? Have I missed a major event? Why are people talking about a new coach?

7. Panda

Panda Member

Defense doesn't win championships when it comes at the cost of offense. Defense wins championships when offense is first secured. Good offensive teams don't always win rings, but poor offensive teams seldom win rings.

Because a JVG led team isn't apt at scoring, they often resort to frantic defense to stop the bleeding when opponents are taking charge. The consequence is a JVG led team plays hard defense through 4 qtrs, which results in tired legs later on and missed jump shots. The offense stalls. It then places more burden on defense and wear the players out.

In contrast good teams play adequate defense in the first 3 qtrs and place their energy on offense, because offense is the easier way to widen the gap in points than defense. You swing your arms once to get two points on O, but how many times one needs to flind his arms to make the opponent miss a shot on D? Good teams are able to play lock down defense when it matters, because they are apt at scoring, there's no need to rely on hard D all the time. The energy is conserved to play lock down D when it matters. A JVG led team must play good D all the time to make up for the lack of consistent scoring, which gets the team low opponent points allowed, with the side effects of offensive stalling and lack of energy for lock down D in later part of the game, as manifested in the often disappearances in the Rockets leads. Lack of offense = lack of great D.

BTW, when is Rudy T known as a defensive coach? The man won two rings because on defense he'd Hakeem in the middle. Yao isn't good as Hakeem defensively, but he brings a huge defensive boost to any team he's on.

8. dream2franchise

Balance wins championships.

9. Panda

Panda Member

Yeah, good call.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Panda,

Very good analysis. I was actually going to post about that later on.

One of the reasons why Jordan and Hakeem were great was because they used to pace themselves. Bulls were masters of this. They would control the game and then later on their defense would go up couple of notches. As good as Hakeem was most of the game, he wold actually turn into a different kind of beast in later stages.

JVG and Riley teams are good defensively but they get drained energy wise. Just take a look at last year's Rockets vs. Mavs series. The Rocket team at the beginning of the series and at the end of it looked completely different. A good defensive team coached by someone who is regarded as a great defensive coach DOES NOT allow a 40 point blowout in a deciding game 7! Defense my @ss!

JVG teams are not very efficient in terms of conserving energy. What you see in their teams defensively is the same, whether it is in 1st quarter or last quarter, whether in the beginning of season or in playoffs. Max effort is required all the time, but of course it starts taking its toll as the season goes on.

#30 Zboy, May 9, 2006
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  11. dream2franchise

Thanks but i can't take credit for it, someone else here posted it a while back. It is a good call though, and relates to past c'ship winners like spurs, Lakers, Bulls and Rockets. And it will be proven again this year by the Pistons.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Adelman's teams are terrible at defense. Of course the sudden insertion of Artest's into their lineup helped their defensive intensity, but Adelman didn't have anything to do with that.

It figures you blame Peja and Webber for their playoff failures. If JVG had the identical particulars, you'd blame him for not putting his players into position to succeed. The standard is different based on personal feelings.

Maybe he would do better than JVG here, maybe not, but I just can't get over seeing the Kings getting carved up like turkeys. There was a reason Shaq called them the Queens. There's a reason their very talented lineups never made it to the Finals and Adelman is part of the reason.

He's a decent coach and should have been extended by the Kings. Personal animosities may have been involved between him and the Maloofs.

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Hiring Adelman alongside JVG is a little unrealistic... but what about Pete Carril? Mr. Princeton himself?

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

Even if we don't get Adelman for head coach, we definitely can use his help in offense. BRING HIM IN.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The idea of JVG and Coach Pete on the same bench cracks me up for some reason.High IQ's/mad genius's....setting hoops back 30 years.
    I'm just jokin lest some take offense...utmost respect to Pete Carril.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And to counter further... what playoff/championship pedigree players do we have?

As for getting rid of JVG. Great, you understand. Don't make a change for the sake of making a change. Neither has won a ring. At least JVG has an excuse of having injuries. Adelman's excuse is "my players are chokers". :)

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Adellman has been a better coach than JVG. More apperances in the NBA championship.

His teams have consistantley been among the very best in the league at Portland and at Sac.

Larry Brown did not win a championship for many many years in the league but he finally got it done in Detroit. Maybe Adelman could get it done here.

I would drop JVG in a heartbeat for Adelman. Adelmans style of play would put butts in seats and make the game fun in Houston again...and IMHO would give Houston a much better chance at a championship than JVG.

Plus I have always felt that his offense would best utilize Yao Mings skills. Count me as someone that think TMac would thrive as well.

18. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

what did bevetta do?

he is one animated referee..

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I like the urban legend that we somehow turned down Phil Jackson. I doubt he ever seriously had interest in coming to Houston other than as a bargaining chip to increase the huge package he got from LA, to go along with his other package...which wouldn't be too smart insofar as the job wsn't available last offseason anyway.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you.