1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should consider Isiah Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

All's I know is if we trade for Thomas Dorsey and Jones better start wearing headbands too.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Quoting a quote of a quote here. Not saying I'd be super excited about an IT addition, but he would clearly be an upgrade here and would immediately become the second best offensive player on this team. He has comparable or better overall stats than Goran Dragic across the board this year and it isn't fluke. He was even better last year when he was a starter. I honestly think what makes Goran so attractive are his intangibles and you know that he is super competitive, fearless, and won't back down from anybody.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fresh off of losing Parsons, you can't sit here and act like the option of: A) Signing IT (with Bev already manning the starting spot) or B) Signing Ariza (with no suitable replacement already on the roster) deserved equal consideration.

We've butted heads over this in a different thread and I definitely respect your opinion, but you're being very naive here.

#23 baller4life315, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

People keep saying Isaiah Thomas can't play D. Well, the data doesn't back that up. He's holding players he guards to a lower FG% than their average. He's a great offensive player. His contract is not that outrageous. This is a no brainer!

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Also should note that part of the reason outsiders think Dragic isn't happy is due to the fact that Hornacek often choses to play a backcourt consisting of Thomas and Bledsoe late in games. IT can play and there are many games this year where he outplayed Goran.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Because we want to go deep in the playoffs and right now we are still headed for a first round exit

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't know about Thomas, but i really don't know how we can possibly get out of the first round come playoff time when teams turn up the defense on Harden and we need another playmaker.

Bev and Ariza would both have to be shooting hot at the same time for the whole game.

8. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Great thread 10/10 would read again

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In your opinion, as a 3rd seed we would be favored in the first round.

And if you add a healthy Howard - which is more important than any trade we are good as is.

DD

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

They are the best...... People keep ignoring the Howard injury. If Howard can come back healthy The Rockets are the best team in the west.... Nope, I'm not afraid to say it..... Do The Rockets need a point guard? Yes... Should we trade important and valuable players to an opponent for one? NO!!!!!.... They need DMO more than we need Dragic...... Want to know why? Because they aint 3rd in the west...

Also back on topic... No we don't IT..... If The Rockets are going to trade for someone it has to be the missing piece and key to a championship, I don't se IT as that.... Like Dakota said, we have a younger and equally good offensive player in Canaan... NO!

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I find it hilarious how everyone is so quick to write off Thomas because of his height, this dude can BALL. His stats where identical to Dragic's last season, and everybody wrote him off because "Meh, he's doing it on the kings" or "Who cares he's too short". Well this season he is on a playoff team, with 2 other all star caliber PG's.

Lets take a look at IT stats last season compared to Dragic's

20.3 ppg, 5.9 asst, 3.2 rbd, 1.4 stl, 2.8 TO's, shooting 51/41/76 in 35 mins

20.3 ppg, 6.3 asst, 2.9 rbd, 1.3 stl, 3.0 TO's, shooting 45/35/85 in 35 mins

Is that not amazing how identical those stats are? everything besides the %'s are basically identical. The top is Dragic and the bottom is IT.

Lets take a look at these seasons stats.

16.2 ppg, 4.1 asst, 3.6 rbd, 1 stl, 2.2 TO's, shooting 50/36/75 in 33.4 minutes, per 16.7

15.2 ppg, 3.7 asst, 2.4 rbd, 1 stl, 1.9 TO's, shooting 43/39/87 in 25.7 minutes, per 19.7

Considering IT is getting 7.7 minutes less per game, again he's been playing amazing. Get this, this season IT has been making more 3's per at a higher % in 8 less minutes, and TWICE as many FT's at a MUCH higher % in again 8 less minutes. That's amazing.

IT = more 3's and way more FT's at much better %'s in considerably less time then Dragic.

IT is also almost 3 years younger, and has way less mileage on him then Dragic. Thomas is locked in at a fair 7 mill per for 2 more years after this season and Dragic will being chasing the max this summer. I'd love IT for this team. He fits our offense perfectly, and would be the perfect player to create when Hardens off the floor, but would also still be the perfect player to slide next to Harden for a kick out 3.

His defense is not good, I know, but neither is Dragic's. IT is short but he is built like a tank, Dragic only has like 5 pounds on him but is 6 inches taller, IT is the same weight as Westbrook as well. I think with Beverley we're fine, anytime IT can't hold his own on D just sub in Bev and where good to go.

13. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

@ThatBoyNick

We all know Morey is keeping his options open that means IT is definitely an option but unlike Dragic I think we would have to give up more to obtain IT than Dragic. He is on a steal of a contract and is locked in for a couple more seasons.

To everyone who wants Lawson and not IT they both struggle on defense but cant be stopped offensively I think either would be a great fit and would rather have Lawson b/c he averages 10 assists but man IT of the bench and in the 4th Q would be such a luxury come playoff time.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

Perfect terry replacement for 25mins a night on a good contract, would really help this team, still have money for a max player later

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No thanks, signed long-term and sucks at defense.

17. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

wtg!

wtg that what we need to look @

18. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

Ok I messed up

We need play making!!!

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

He averaged almost 7 assists with Sacremento.

20. cebu

cebu Member

one bentley for him