1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets shoot to many threes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Nov 26, 2014.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Would have been better to go for a good shot rather than a 2 for 1 in that situation. Our offense was already stalling we were ice cold and Sac was gaining in on the league.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Beef fajitas, queso, chips, ribs, grilled quail, beers, shots, great dinner at El Tiempo.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It isn't really what "the messiah says," it is what the numbers say. The statistics show that the best shots for efficiency are the three ball and shots in the paint.

I remember another Rockets era which saw a lot of points in the paint and threes, we were outstanding with Dream working inside and pitching it out to Horry, Elie, Cassell, Drexler, and MadMax. We have the same kind of dynamic with Howard drawing double teams on the inside with shooters all around him.

We certainly didn't shoot as many threes as we do today, but a big part of that is simply in the number of possessions per game then versus now. We'll see if this strategy works in the playoffs, I've seen it work before and I fully believe it can work with this team.

4. Ghost_of_Akeem

I love that place, best Tex-Mex in Houston.

5. MONON

MONON Member

3's with ball movement in the flow of the game are always a good shot. 3's just because I can hit them aren't. That's the Rockets problem. Suddenly they start just jacking up 3's & guess what, they're in a scoring slump. After a while they clamp down on defense again & their ball movement comes back & they win the game.

Get used to it. It's working!

6. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

As long as we are winning and our record is very good (12-3), just shoot more threes (even they miss).

7. Ghost_of_Akeem

Our defense is really good and that's why we are winning.

Last year we were a gunslinger team, and we faced off against another gunslinger team in the playoffs. When you have 2 gunslinger teams facing each other then all odds are off and whichever team was hotter at the time is going to win the series.

Now, we are trying to be a competent defensive team as well as a team that can make three's. A good defensive team that can still make 3's is what the Spurs were last year. Gunslinger team's will have no shot against us now.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In last season's playoff series vs Portland, 28% of the Rockets field goal attempts were 3 pt shots. In the NBA finals, 32.6% of the Spurs FG attempts were 3pt shots.

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

While I agree with most of your post, I have to point out that the reason the Rockets lost that series is due to having to try and overcome one blatantly crooked call after another. The refs had a definite agenda in that series.

Still waiting on an adequate explanation on the Beverly technical, among other inexplicable screwjobs in that series.

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

You must have been the guy sitting behind me at the game...all he talked about was how we would never win a championship shooting threes

11. Ghost_of_Akeem

Did the refs force that impossible 3pt shot that Aldridge made over Dwight's solid defense late in game 1 to go in? Nope.

Did they make Lillard's three pointer that won them the series? Nope.

Rockets lost that series because they were a gunslinger team that ran into a hotter gunslinger team. Gunslinger teams will get beat because (as Don Nelson won't tell you), Stats don't matter in the postseason. The only thing that matters is being able to get stops and play good team defense while playing smart offense (using as much of the 24 second clock as possible on offense will tire out the opposition). Both are things the Rockets could not do.

But, you keep on dreaming brother. Amen, and I hope the NBA gets back to you on the rigged officiating.

12. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Me stating that I watched the portland series doesnt mean i didnt watch other series...my point is we relied to heavily on the 3...while yes we were terrible defensively, missing so many 3s in a post season no matter how good the defense may hv improved may still come to haunt us

13. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Game 5?

14. Ghost_of_Akeem

If you can't get stops you will not win a championship, doesn't matter if you're playing baseball, hockey, soccer, football or basketball. It's all the same.

If you can't protect your own goal, it doesn't matter how many points you can score. Rockets could not get stops, their lack of defense is what lost the series.

Plenty of teams have won playoff series shooting far worse from 3pt land than we did against Portland, but almost none of them did it while giving up 115 pts per game.

Get with the program kids.

15. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Wow watch out, it's the voice of authority here folks. HOLY COW so you're saying if you can't defend you can't win a championship? Clyde Drexler is shaking in his boots waiting for you to take his position. Rockets were bad last season on D, but Portland ran red hot in the small sample size of games played, as often happens in games of skill & chance.

16. Ghost_of_Akeem

Cute commentary, I love it.

You basically just repeated everything I said in my post. Portland was a gunslinger team just as we were and they got hot at the right time and beat us.

If you consider me to be the voice of authority, then do no question my authority until you learn basic reading comprehension.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I dunno about 15-0... Nothing could have saved us in that Grizzlies game. We just have to come back strong next time for that one.

I agree about the other two losses, but at the same time, we've had 2-3 wins that could have gone the other way with a couple more bad bounces, so I think our record right now is a pretty good indicator of how many wins we deserve, which is damn impressive considering how many injuries we've been dealing with.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dont like it either but when u keep getting key offensive players injured u dont have much of a choice. they should at least try to get some good mid range shots. i dont like the "3 or layup" offense. the mid range shot should be utilized more by the rockets if the three ball and layups aren't going in.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we lost last year because of defense

this year, we have elite defense and better than average 3pt shooters

20. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

The best thing about threes is that we won't get bad calls from referees when we try to drive closer to the basket or shoot inside the three point arc.

That's why I don't like Rockets to drive through inside the three point arc often because referees were always terrible. It give other teams capitalize on our bad calls. That's why I want Rockets to just keep shooting threes because this way we will not get call against us like foul or turnovers. The Rockets just have to practice threes and we are good this season. The more three points, the great chance we will win. And I think that's what Kevin McHale have been planned to do this season.

We are 12-3. At this rate and if Rockets keep shooting threes, we would be be 24-6. :eek: