1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seriously pursuing Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ariza + Ryno + Ajinca wouldn't be a terrible end to this. I wouldn't be thrilled but it wouldn't be the worst.

2. HOUSTONROCKETS5

**** it..... just match Parsons, and let's just improve the roster through trades because free agency just isn't working well for us.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Once Ariza is on the court with Howard and Harden then people will see appreciate Ariza in a different role from the role he had here years ago. Morey isn't stupid.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yuck! I hope the Rockets don't bring Ariza. He had an amazing career year last year. He's never shown the consistency to do that two years in a row, and with this not being a contract year for Ariza, I have no faith that he'll be anywhere close to where he was last year.

Also last year he was playing with a crappy Wizards team in the East. He'll have more quality defenders on him should he sign with the Rockets, and he's not going to be getting the touches he did with the Wizards.

His shot selection on the whole of his career is lacking as well as all of the other weaknesses that Ziggy has mentioned. I didn't like him or his thug behavior when he played for the Rockets before. I would hate to have him back on the team.

If the Rockets do land Ariza, then I hope I'm wrong and that he plays at the same level he did last year even though it's not a contract year for him, and he has never shown that he is capable of that kind of back to back effort.

But honestly, I would just rather not have Ariza on this team no matter what.

Parsons can be traded even with his monster contract. The reason is that some teams have to spend 90% of their salary cap under the new collective bargaining agreement. There are teams like the 76ers that are so far below that, they will actually want some big contracts to come to their team.

I also think the slams on Parsons defense are overblown. His defense isn't bad. He used to be really good on defense, but it definitely regressed. Part of that, I believe has to do with the extended minutes he was playing. But Parsons isn't a horrible defender most of the time.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm starting to feel this way.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Do you really think he would get 15 million dollars a year? I'm guessing very much cheaper.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People here seem to be when it comes to Ariza. He smoked us when we played him last season and if it wasn't for the Harden flop he'd of had the last laugh.

He's the defensive wing people here are b****ing about Morey needing to sign.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree. At worse, get Ariza maybe not match Parsons' contract and build up the bench and solidify the PF spot.

9. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Here you go, your glue guy with a better contract. Ariza is a smarter player now, so I think he will fit in nicely.

I hope it will be a shorter contract.. I don't mind overpaying to 12M a year if we can get a third year player option. You may ask then why didn't we freaking just match Parsons. The reason is because Parson's contract is a less tradable poison pill and runs a year longer. And also Les and Morey may be really pissed off by Parsons at this point.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Really, so you think one of the youngest teams in the league can't develop into a championship team. Beverley, Jones, Parsons, Harden, Daniels, D-Mo are all done developing as players. Sorry, don't buy it. If Morey is dumb enough to keep sticking his hand in shark waters when it comes to cap space, he deserves to get bit. Building a core and letting it develop is how championship teams form, as players get comfortable with each other on the court.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Deng can ask for 13 mil and Ariza can ask for 11 then Parsons would easily get 15 on the open market. He's better and younger than either of those guys.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Called it. The rockets will overpay this POS.

13. Fantasma Negro

Wasn't he averaging like 18 pts and 5stls with that cast of losers? Don't blame him cause theteam sucked, he's a Durrant stopper that's all you need to know. He'll be a solid third or fourth option depending on what happens with Gibson

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Aria was pretty bad last time he was here and I haven't really followed him since then. I know he was on fire one game against us last year but he'd need to be vastly improved to be worth taking a look at. If we let Parsons walk for Ariza we better be saving quite a bit of money.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

No No just no...:mad:

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Coming home again?

1 person likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Try 15 and 2 and he was the 5th or 6th best player on that "band of losers" behind Martin, Scola, Lowry, Brooks, and even maybe Landry

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

10-11 million is what you will pay ariza. And you will have 6-7 million left in cap space only if you let parsons walk. How is that better than signing some good bench players(or trading for the point guard or power forward you need) with the cap space from trading Lin and Asik, then matching parsons, then splitting the MLE on more bench depth.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Also allows the Rockets to go big (at least on the wing) with Howard, Jones, Parsons, Ariza, Harden or small and run with Howard, Parsons, Ariza, Harden and Beverley.

Assuming they still keep Parsons.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ariza was really good pretty all of last season. Of course that was a contract year for him, and his age isn't a positive for him. Despite what he did last year, I don't think he'd be good for this team.

If the Rockets do get him, I hope I'm wrong.