1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seriously pursuing Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

really hoping we get surprised with some kind of multi team deal involving the bulls.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm in the anti-Ariza camp unless it's for an extremely favorable contract. Like MLE money.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

pretty much my feelings exactly.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

....and mine

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

OH **** NO

NOT AGAIN NO

**** NO

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Morey thought he fit once before... didn't work. And we're talking about Morey's what, 12th priority?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not really true. See here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9100587#post9100587

If Houston lets Parsons go and has Ariza in his place at $11M next season, the Rockets will have roughly $58.5M in team salary and $8.5M in cap room (with a projected salary cap at $66M)-- and that's not accounting for a qualifying offer that the team must make to keep Beverley restricted.

This means they won't actually HAVE meaningful cap room with which to sign a free agent-- might as well just stay over the cap and use the MLE. At best, they will be in a position similar to where they were at this year: Being able to CREATE cap room by trading away some significant salaries (that of Howard, Harden or Ariza) maybe along with some small ones either during the season or next July.

The issue with keeping both Ariza and Parsons on the books is really on the high-end of things: They have $73M in total salary with these two and the rest of the roster. Patrick Beverley needs to get paid as a free agent. This means that the Rockets will be hitting the tax line, or at lease come VERY close if it wants to retain Beverley and pay a free agent using a cap exception.

This salary also makes it harder to do one of those Lin/Asik deals to create cap room for a free agent because you'd have a longer way to go salary-wise.

But really, the whole 2015 cap room thing is pretty speculative to me. First, the team still needs to dump salary in order to have any cap room as long as we sign Ariza. Second, even with cap room you may not get anybody to sign with you (see Chris Bosh, Melo).

#67 Carl Herrera, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

he's looking to get paid and I think the Wizards will offer more than that..he's probably just using Houston for leverage vis a vis Washington or another team like Dallas...i'm fine with that. Do not want if we aren't resigning Parsons. Ariza would be a nice luxury/bench piece but not a key to getting us over the top, especially if we lose Parsons! [shudders]

9. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I don't know. Remember when he played with Kobe? He was pretty solid. Maybe in a diminished role similar to that (Harden does require some special attention) it may allow him to flourish as a corner 3 man with length on D.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Ariza is classic case of play like **** and randomly have a good contract year.

One year deal or no way in hell

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Rockets can get a Taj Gibson or Dunleavy and Ariza package from this entire Dinobosh fiasco...i'll be happy...

Dwight
    Gisbon/ or Dunleavy
    Ariza
    Harden
    Beverly

isnt too bad...for the moment...the Rockets will most likely be a mid tier team once again.

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Different players and coach this time around, perhaps a better result.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i mean ...if a few days ago someone told you Houston's big splash of free agency was going to be Tevor Freaking Ariza, most would vomit on the spot.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed. But I wouldn't be surprised if Parsons becomes the superior defender immediately playing under Carlisle. In fact I expect it.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ariza can only play well against Parsons and Harden, so we better let Parsons go to Dallas.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/s_JpQneVP78?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/s_JpQneVP78?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Replacing Parsons with Ariza is an upgrade in my opinion. He's a lock down defender and has less of an ego than Parsons' ole b**** ass.

17. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

The difference between now and last time Ariza was a Rocket....he wont have to be "the guy".

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not to mention the first time we signed him we were hoping he could be a 1st or 2nd option. We found out quickly he wasn't suited for that and got rid of him.

If we bring him back it will be as a 3 and D role player. Won't be asking the same from him as before. I think he would work just fine here, but price as always is key.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

AGREE!

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't "the guy" then either, he was a 4th option behind Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and Aaron Brooks.....and he still wasn't good at that.