1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets send qualifying offer to Courtney Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Jun 29, 2012.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4 million is about right. anything more than that is generous. he is a slightly undersized 2 guard that isn't an amazing scorer or primary ball handler that can run an offense. he is a nice player to have because of his mid-range shot, 3pt shot, and solid defense. i'm all for keeping lee and moving martin, but 6 million is too much imo.

2. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

He will go back to Orlando book it.He loves the area and he still lives in Orlando during the offseason,I can see Orlando going after him to appease Dwight.They are good friends.

3. ZTiger87

ZTiger87 Member

As someone pointed out earlier, a qualifying offer is not the same as an offer sheet. A qualifying offer is a fixed ammount based on draft position if they are on their rookie contract or their previous salary.

4. cod

cod Member

Restricted free agent. The Rockets have the final say.

5. SRR21

SRR21 Member

David Baumann: It's not to say @Courtney Lee wouldn't take less than five-years, $40M. "I'd love that," was simply his response.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Let him walk.

7. cod

cod Member

That's Nic Batum money and even then it might be overpaying Batum.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

By meeting so-called "starter criteria" by playing a certain number of minutes last season, Courtney Lee's qualifying offer was increased to $4,385,416, which is the qualifying offer amount for the 9th pick of the 2008 NBA Draft. This is a new element of the recently signed CBA.

Also, Lee's qualifying offer amount is NOT what counts against the cap. His CAP HOLD ($5.56M, which is 250% of his 2011-12 salary) is what counts against the cap. The extension of the qualifying offer by the Rockets does not change that.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Definitely like this move, thought it was a no brainer.

I would like to see Martin moved for about anything, I think a sign and trade for Asik would help out both teams tremendously.

I think Lee earned the starting spot and his defense makes him a closer at the end of games. Lamb should come of the bench and could be instant offense!

10. joesr

joesr Member

Its not an amount per say, but its a 'bid' enabling us to match the offer the accepts, so if the Bulls offer7m per year, we have the right to match that. If they went higher and we didnt want to match it then you simply dont, you just don't get your 'bid' back. the bid is set amount based on how much the player made last year.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Sign and trade for Omer Asik. I'm sticking by that prediction.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wise to let Lee walk in my opinion. Not worth the money to keep on a rebuilding team.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Lee is not worth that much ($8 million) imo, sure he can defend and knock down the occassional shot but cannot even come close to putting up huge numbers. I rather throw Lamb to the wolves.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

That's (in large part) why they drafted Jeremy Lamb. Needed insurance in case they lose one/both of Martin (trade) or Lee (free agency).

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no it isn't. you are saying Morey drafted for need. He doesn't do that.

Don't contradict yourself.

Morey drafted Lamb and traded Dalembert to prevent PHO from getting him at 13 because of Best Player Available rules.

If you think Morey drafted Lamb and traded Dalembert to make sure that happens out of need vs BPA, then explain to me why he proceeded to draft to PFs after.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You are correct. Lamb was BPA. But he might not have been the only "BPA" on the board at #12.

Let me clarify. That was the ALLURE of picking Lamb, as opposed to selecting a guy like John Henson, who the Rockets could have had ranked in the same TIER as Lamb. If not for the Lee situation (i.e., if Lee was already locked up on a long-term deal), it is at least possible that the Rockets would have picked an equally ranked Henson over Lamb.

Still, you're probably right on this. And I'm happy with Lamb.