1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets send promotional items to brainwash MVP voters - 2015 edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You guys b****ing about this are hilarious.

1. I doubt Morey spent a minute thinking about this. We either had our PR/Marketing department do this and he signed off on it or we outsourced to a 3rd party. He is the freaking GM for crying out loud. It's like how chefs don't wash dishes at their own restaurants.

2. Teams do stuff like this for their stars all the time. Just because 2 members of the media are clowning on it doesn't mean that the players and Harden don't notice and appreciate the effort his franchise is putting in to showcase him.

2 people like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

recipients of this will think: this does look "try-hard", and the only reason to try hard is if you think the other guy is the leading candidate. which makes me think the other guy should be the leading candidate.

i think morey should just tell media one of the same quotes every day:

1) "if the MVP race was a popularity contest, curry would win." and "
    2) "if voters take a second to compare numbers, they'd see who meant more to their team and who had the better season."
    3) "if TV ratings, jersey sales, and endorsements win you an MVP, james has no chance. If being the most valuable to your team wins you an MVP, then james is the guy."

that's it. morey should just repeat these things every time he's in front of a reporter. just make it sound stupid to go with the popular vote. each sports analyst wants to sound smarter than the next guy, so show them how to sound smarter. slowly more will catch on.

but campaigning for votes will be seen as trying to catch up in a race that you're losing.

#102 smoothie, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

It was outsourced to another company. That company is

http://www.americhip.com/ourwork/#all

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think it's dumb to send this stuff but at the end of the day if he doesn't win it might motivate him even more. I'm not all that concerned with MVP honors. I want an NBA championship.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I tweeted zach that I'd gladly take his "dumb trinket" off his hands for 10 bux and even pay for shipping. I think it's cool and this reminds me why I'm never interested in reading any words that come out of his pen.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

If any Rockets FO types happen to be clicking thru this thread, please get me a copy of that kit! I'll pay 50!

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Good, fire at those brain washed idiots.

While they do that, let's watch all these poster boy Curry commercials this season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e6o8PbAsGKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ogqs4fwBkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/le0_9ESD3gA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WTVKwz2TOcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TF9uI5NJFFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. RESINator

RESINator Member

Hardens had his share of commercials. Perhaps you should be Curry's PR since you are so obsessed with perpetuating him here?

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This season? Please. Then again, it's ESPN the one with the issue.

I am, you didn't know?

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Clutch continues to be the best lol.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA">@ZachLowe_NBA</a> Put it on EBay. All it takes is one willing to overpay and you end up better off without it. It's just like the real Parsons.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/584127399379382273">April 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">@clutchfans</a> cold</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/584129037435559936">April 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

that is awesome!!

but seriously, is zach lowe really b****ing about getting promo materials from a team? that's great memorabilia to hold onto for years. dude is ungrateful as hell for being a media member.

#111 vstexas09, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  12. tws011

tws011 Member

That was actually catchy as hell :D

13. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

This post has my vote!!
    This is true. It's not like Morey isn't focused on the big prize. Take the trades and the Josh Smith signing for example. He is actively trying to make moves for this team to contend at the highest stage! The finals. If he signs on the PR team endorsing their Mvp, so what? I don't find it hilarious or embarrassing . I actually find it inspiring for Harden. He is without a doubt positive the Rockets have his back in any matter. The Rockets are always getting ripped on either way. At least this way they know how dominant Harden has played.

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

It will get media attention. It was cheesy the way it was made but the content will be available to the voters. The media is gobbling it up. I hope it shows up on ESPN. You guys don't think Stephen Curry's ugly face on State Farm every other second is NOT propaganda? Morey is a genius in many ways. You never know where he is coming from.

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

And you app apparently are a marketing export.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO a lot of the CF posters here make me disgusted, all they really do is hate on the Rox for doing ANYTHING. Literally any action you take has good/bad sides, and so these clowns drum up the drama on whatever the FO decides to do, totally pathetic :rolleyes:

First of all, can we get an agreement that the MVP award means nothing for everyone who isn't James Harden? I thought what everyone cared about is the championship, or at least getting out of the 1st round? So why all these posts screaming about how Morey apparently destroyed Harden's MVP chances? Why does it matter to you how the campaign is or isn't handled?

Secondly, how do you know it destroyed Harden's MVP chances? Like what Morey said, the NBA is an ENTERTAINMENT organization, not some super serious political entity. Some people like Zach Lowe are trying to be "cool kids" and say it turns them off, well why don't they shack up in some remote Tibetan Mountain for the rest of the voting period then? They get exposed to so much media talking about how awesome Curry is and now they balk at some really cool promotional material? Really? Why can't you just appreciate it for the cool memorabilia it is? If receiving this makes you vote for Curry then it shows how shaky your opinion of the MVP really is, how come receiving or not receiving a promo material changes your decision? Is your opinion so flaky it changes at the drop of a hat? The ones who get MVp votes are supposed to be "experts" and make their decision based on their observation and empirical data, if receiving or not receiving a promo material changes their decision then it shows that they shouldn't be qualified to get MVP votes in the first place.

Finally, like what Chenjy9 said this kind of campaign really is for James Harden, it shows the Rox organization cares about him enough to push for his individual success and achievements. When Lebron was in the Miami Heat all I keep hearing about is how the org is all about "team wins", and I never heard once of the Miami congratulating LBJ for his MVPs or campaigning for him. As a result, LBJ never really felt attachment for the team that he won 2 rings and went to 2 finals for, he cared about leaving DWade but didn't really give a **** for the Heat. I hope Harden doesn't see the Rox that way, I hope he sees the team as an org that cares about him and supports his individual endeavors. For all the crap the team gets about treating players like assets, the Rox are like an extension of the family and you can see it how they regularly welcome past Rockets heroes like TMac, Hakeem and Yao when they sit next to Les Alexander during games.

This kind of stuff might not matter to the posters here but for players it's a big deal, if I'm gonna get the exact same amount of money then I'll stick with the team that gives a **** about me other than what I produce on the court.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jesus clutch is brutal

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

That was awesome by Clutch, well done! **** Chandler Parsons

19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Zach Lowe only like Dallas swag. Still mad he picked the Mavs to finish better than the Rockets this year.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Of course there are posters b****ing about this. Lol.