1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets send promotional items to brainwash MVP voters - 2015 edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Never said he doesn't have sponsors...When is the last time you saw him showcased in a commercial much like Curry's Under Armour one though...Heard he just got a Taco Bell one talking about swaggy Hash Browns haha that should help his MVP chances ;)

2. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Lowe. This is a complete waste of money.

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Extremely tacky and nonsensical.

This is just trying to too hard.

4. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Was going to mention the Curry commercials. His game speaking for himself is absolutely absurd. They're literally praising Curry like a king during these, it's ridiculous.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any journalist that votes against Harden because they received some stats from the Rockets shouldn't be allowed to vote in the first place.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I didn't know you had to receive it every day for it to be considered spam mail.

Show me the promotional materials the Warriors and Thunder are sending out for their MVP candidates.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I wish we didn't do this.

If I were an MVP voter and I got this, it'd turn me off a bit. That's just me though.

8. RESINator

RESINator Member

Wish they spent money on material to send to McHale on how to coach better.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

The media doesn't have to be impressed by the Rockets efforts, only Harden. #2018FreeAgency

10. reliableman

reliableman Member

MT was talking about this on 790 earlier.

Apparently teams campaign with comparable presentations for their players all the time. Pelican's last year sent out some package including a fake bro (kinda like a fake stache or beard) for AD campaigning for DPOY or something like that + several other examples I can't remember details of.

I agree it is tacky but seems to be par for the course in today's media-rich NBA.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Commercial is a totally different thing.

When people can't ever see half of your face, it's hard to sell you serious but rather take a more light and comedian approach that's what most of his commercial had been.

While the other guy was a married man, baby face, likable and also doing good on the floor. The result is very obvious.

12. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Any journalist that is swayed to vote in either direction because of a campaign flier shouldn't be allowed to keep their jobs, period.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Perhaps consider this actually isn't DM's primary department.
    There are a lot of people that work for the Rockets... A whole marketing team in fact.

Certainly incorporating this marketing into what DM does is important and NOT where he excels. But he's probably rolling with he punches to an extent.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Some of you people are really just annoying. Who complains about promotional items???

And most of yall the first to say DM treats his players like assets.

15. conquistador#11

i wouldn't mind that brief case. I've also seen people turn a ladder into book shelves.
    maybe daryl morryssey can send ipads to media members, let's see them turn those down.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sadly, the whole MVP race is just a bunch of bull****. I think the league or the coaches should get final say. The MVP contest always turns into a HS election or popularity contest (I mean some years it's easier, but this bull**** I've seen in major media has basically brainwashed most non-bball population into only considering Curry, don't get me wrong I'm not saying Curry is bad or something). It's just become a real mess, I mean some of these voters are just bad... For example one season just to be different someone voted for Melo, his season was no where near what other candidates were doing, but he wanted to be "different" or something, that tells me right there it's more of a pretend award, and voters can basically do wth they want regardless if they even know anything (I mean some of these writers are bad and I'm not just talking about the way they write about the Houston teams).

Another point... I mean I still don't believe Curry could do what Harden has done if they were to switch teams (but then again I'm biased).

I also am still bitter about Hakeem getting snubbed (over Robinson???), then again it was so awesome to see Robinson get destroyed, but man... I honestly see the MVP voters maybe a little bit better than the all-star voters (and that's not saying much, I mean some years people vote in players who aren't even eligible???), I mean what do they think, Kobe/Yao (sorry Yao) were going to play in a wheelchair????

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also... I think Morey should focus on other things, but hey I can't blame him for being excited about our guy, I mean this is almost like storybook for Houston to finally have a player who is coming into his prime, especially since we gave up nothing (Lamb/Martin haha). I mean I guess I don't think it was a great move to send junk, but in all honesty I am like 99% positive outside of Houston everyone sees curry as MVP already, so I don't think this helped/hurt for Morey to have fun. I mean on stupid ESPN polls Texas can't even ****ing pick Harden as the MVP, and I that's bull**** (Yes those polls are stupid, but I think most people voting probably know as much as some of these press people, haha)... I mean I really would think even with the 2 other teams in TX not having candidates, why would they bother picking curry??? I know in other seasons Dallas/SA at least got their TX player on those nonsensical polls... I think for houston to get respect in the MVP race they're going to need to do something in the playoffs (even though the MVP award is supposedly for the regular season).

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

OKC losing games? Westbrook was never seriously in the race, and now he's nowhere close to being in the discussion.

If we get the #2 seed (or at *least* #3) and James wins the scoring title, then I think he wins MVP.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think it's useful when your candidate is not being discussed. Like last year, Harden wasn't going to win the MVP but he should get votes.

I don't like doing this stuff when your player is one of the top 2 candidates and has been all season. Harden is getting a lot of talk already.

Just let Harden's game be "promotion"

20. DreamEarlNolan

I've come to grips with the fact that Curry is going to win the MVP. In my opinion what will make the difference is Curry will get all first or second place votes, where as some voters will rank Harden behind Lebron or Westbrook.

Regarding the book Morey sent to the media, does anyone feel there would be a different response from voters if it were from the Cavs or Warriors and featured either Lebron or Curry? While he's brought some of it on himself, it seems the media can't wait to take a dig at Morey when they get a chance. It also seems like the Rockets are the team people love to hate this year.