1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets select Terrence Jones with the No. 18 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Terrence Jones by the Rockets at #18?

1. YES

233 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. NO

339 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

To me he looks like a Rodney Rogers type of player or am I way off?

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I like the Lamar Odom comparison. He drives to the basket very well and is very athletic and crafty in the low post.

3. cod

cod Member

Agreed, I have the feeling he'll prove to be the better pick of the two.

If there's a trade/s and young forwards are to be included I hope they move White, Patterson, or Morris before Jones.

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

A taller version of Rodney Rogers. I can see that.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Don't feel like reading every post here, but I need something about Jones' game to get excited about. Not seeing much that stands out from videos and articles. I like the lamb and white picks, but is Jones a 3 or 4? Anybody who is really familiar with him.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jones measured 6'9.5" in shoes and 252lbs before the draft. I'd say he has typical size for a PF. Not good, but not bad either.

The bigger issue for me is that, at some point, need HAS to start being taken into consideration simply because you can't actually develop more prospects at the same position anymore. What does our depth chart at PF look like right now?

1. Scola
    2. Patterson
    3. Motiejunas (he is a tall PF, not a center guys)
    4. White
    5. Jones

Let's say Scola and Patterson get PT in the NBA and Motiejunas/White get PT in the D-League (which in itself is a terrible waste of their talents). That leaves absolutely no PT for Jones whatsoever.

If Morey doesn't trade away at LEAST two of these guys before the season starts, I'm going to seriously consider slapping the "terrible at player development" label on him.

7. cod

cod Member

The Baltic Pippen called White and Jones as combo forwards.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Chuck Hayes V2.0

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

White's a SF.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So much I want to say. Jones instantly becomes our most talented PF on our roster. He is not undersized. He's 6'9.5"! Why do people keep saying he's undersized? He's and excellent shot blocker -averages almost 2 blocks per 30 minutes. He's a great defender. Avg almost 1.5 steal per 30 minutes too. He's super athletic and quick, so he can hang with NBA 4s. For all you folks bashing this pick: you're nuts. He's a top 10 talent and possibly the second coming of josh smith. Great pick at 18. I don't care about need at this point, I care about talent. That's what we got in Jones.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

He has no mid-range / pull-up game to speak of. This is Trevor Ariza redux. Good trade bait though. One of those players who are easy to showcase because of their highlights.

12. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I won't be surprised to see Houston trade 2 of these guys...

... but which 2 of them remains a question...

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

You don't need to post it in three different threads. Jesus. You're just asking to get banned.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think just for the sake of depth, Motiejunas will see a lot of time at the 5. At 7'1 and 240+lbs he should be able to handle any "center" of the opposing team's bench. Same thing apply's to Jon Leuer.

I think you'll also see either T.Jones or White get some playing time at the three. But both are almost guaranteed time in the D-League.

15. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He bulked up way too much from his freshmen to his sophmore year. I liked him more as a small foward prospect. Let just hope he doesn't eat his way out ofthe leauge.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

a couple more points on Jones because i can't belive this poll. The guy is not Ariza. He has the athleticism of a SF, and the size and strength of a PF. He needs to improve his shooting, but oddly enough he basically shot what Jermey Lamb did last year from the 3pt land. His mid-range game will improve. He's also a damn good rebounder; averaged about 9 per 30 minutes playing next to Davis.

I'm not trying to go oral on the guy or anything; i just think it was a good pick at 18 if you needed talent. He is more talented that Scola, Patterson, or Morris (have no idea about D-Mo cause i haven't seen him play). He's not as skilled as Scola yet, but he's just a rookie (20 yrs old). High-upside pick. When i say Josh Smith is his NBA comparison, i am not exaggerating.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

A couple quik points...

White is projected at the 3 if im not mistaken?
    You also forgot to include our white boys brockman and leuer... although leuer might become moee of a backup C...
    Im not as sold a tjones as much as our other 2picks but ehh he seems like a morey type guy and i seen a bunch of mocks having him going top 10...
    Good value at 18... i would have preferred zeller at 16 and either white/jones at 18...

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Feel like Zeller was stolen from the Rockets...by..the hated Mavs

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

This is a great pick. It may sounds odd, but he's as good a prospect as Thomas Robinson. He's a little younger, taller than Robinson, with similar vertical. Robinson does have some speed/stength advantage, but Jones has slight advantage in agility and is also strong.

He seems to have better defense and blocking rate. His rebounding rate is not as good as Robinson(mostly defensive rebounds), but it's more of the impact of teammates like Anthony Davis/MKG(they are great rebounders for their positions) than the individual ability.

In the NCAA final, Jones did a pretty good job on defending Robinson.

Overall, I'd say he's on a similar level as Robinson.

#119 haoafu, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Robert Horry part 2?

DD