1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets select Terrence Jones with the No. 18 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Terrence Jones by the Rockets at #18?

1. YES

233 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. NO

339 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't see why he'd need to?

The guy has a prototypical "big 4" body for an NBA powerforward. He's 6'9.5 and has a 7'3 wingspan. AND he can "bang" in the post as well as stepping out to hit the 3 with some consistency.

I can't see why you would play such a talent at the 3 unless he cannot defend 4s? But since defending PFs is exactly what Jones is very good at, then why give him 3 minutes?

Play him at the 4 and create a mismatch every time down the floor!!

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Sounds good to me. I was asking about him playing the 3 because of the giant logjam we have at the 4 spot.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

he look's like a bigger better PP, like others have mentioned.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NDM_SsoLKeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

He reminds me a lot of Lamar Odom but with a better motor. He's an instant matchup nightmare if he can consistently knock down his outside shot-- can guard both 3's and 4's, instant rebounding advantage if playing the 3, great spacer at the 4.

I was originally disappointed in the Jones pick, but I really do think a trade will make our rotation clear up. Eventually, I could see a rotation of
    5- DMo/Camby
    4- White/Jones
    3- Parsons/Jones
    2- Lamb/Lee
    1- Dragic/unknown

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Marcus Morris is expendable now

6. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Hahahahahahajajahajajajjajajajajjaa

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

** At the moment we have a logjam at the 4 spot.

We always seem to be in the market to make moves. Morey's Gasol trade last year was NOT on draft day (unless I'm mistaken). Season start is a LONG way off. Heck, training camp is a LONG way off.

8. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Either this guy or Patterson....one of them will be gone by beginning of season.

9. Asian Sensation

I said it before and I'll say it again. Jones is going to be the best out of our 3 picks. We better keep this guy if it's between him and Patterson. I've been watching Jones since his HS days since he's from Portland. The guy is a stud and he is going to be a damn good player.

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

a SF with no kind of jumpshot ,, WAIVE HIM

11. Jman713

Jman713 Member

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You've posted in the wrong thread, or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Terrence Jones is a PF with an excellent jumpshot (who is also so agile that people talked about him possible playing the 3).

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He will be better, if not already, than Patrick Patterson. Keep the high upside players and trade the lesser ones.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I remember when we started Ryan Bowen at the 4.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Very skilled but seems disinterested too often. I'm not sure this guy cares enough to become a real player in this league. That said, the potential is there no doubt.

16. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Strengths:
    NBA-ready body
    Intensity
    Athleticism
    Explosive at the rim
    Blows by bigger defenders off the bounce
    Can post up smaller defenders
    Knows how to finish around the basket
    Strong Rebounder
    Able to board and take off to lead the break
    Ability to drive and dish
    Comfortable putting the ball on the deck with either hand
    Effectively uses pump fakes to create space or get defenders in the air
    Three-point range
    Length helps him be an effective shot blocker
    Great hands

Weaknesses:
    Consistency with his jump shot
    Too selfish at times
    Tends to play with a guard's mentality, too often hanging out on perimeter
    Will need to learn how to bang with NBA power forwards without getting into foul trouble
    Could polish up his post moves on the block

Summary: Jones is a likely a top-10 pick due to his versatility on the floor. He chose to return to Kentucky and looks like a player who is ready to contribute at the next level. If he can maintain a high level of play, I cannot see him dropping out of the top 10 with the possibility of being one of the first five players taken in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Player Comparison: Josh Smith. Besides the left-handed parallel, Smith was an incredible all-around talent with an NBA-ready build when he entered the league. Jones is an inside/outside threat who can put the ball on the deck just like Smith and effects the game in so many different ways. Both players seem to have a little attitude to their game but have tremendous talent.

http://walterfootball.com/nbascoutingreport2012tjones.php

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rio Grande is going to love him.

DD

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You mean the Good Ol' Days when they actually made the playoffs?

19. Asian Sensation

Thank god you said that. Now he's still going to turn into the star that I imagined him becoming. Please don't change your posture about him and jinx him.

20. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Terence is a stud. I can't believe all the dislike on the board for this pick. He is a really unselfish all-around player. I think he is more suited as a 3 than a 4...he has great handles and vision, can post up, and take it to the hole with determination. He didn't progress statistically that much in his soph season because he knew about the freshmen talent that was coming. He was comfortable being the 3rd-4th option on the team and being a mentor for the freshman. I think he is going to be great for us, if he's not traded in a package.