1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets season grades!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, May 18, 2009.

1. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

some of points of this thread are just jork!

Players take too much credits from the postseason!

For on, you're too hard on Artest, Ron was without doubt hugh reason why we can pass the first round. This guy is so so underrated by lots of people. Just because he had some bad games in this season, people overlooked the hugh impacts he brought to this Rocket team. His defense is still super, true, he showed some struggle against teams in postseason, however, you have to notice who he played with. Roy and Kobe, in my opinion, who are happen to 2 of best SG in today NBA along with Wade.Ron's transition from a player who need the ball to play his game to a player play much better when don't dribble too much was huge. That is exactly what Rocket what him to be. Ron had been a good teammate all season, well self-control , at least, many people prodicted Ron will go crazy at some point of the season , and that's never happened.

2. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

I do not agree with Artest receiving a grade of C+. In fact, Brent Barry also received a grade of C+. Are you meant to tell me Artest's production for the team equals that of Brent Barry?

Artest was one of the main reasons we got into the second round, among other inputs. He deserves at least a B+.

3. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Rick Adelman: C
    Daryll Morey: C
    Yao Ming: B-
    Tracy McGrady: C-
    Ron Artest: C+
    Shane Battier: B+
    Luis Scola: B+
    Aaron Brooks: B
    Carl Landry: B
    Kyle Lowry: B
    Chuck Hayes: A
    Brent Barry: C-
    Von Wafer: B

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ron Artest.... A+ for toughness, C+ to B- in terms of consistency. I would have loved to see more 8-15 or 9-19 games as opposed to going 7-24 or 4-20.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

wow, thats pretty harsh lol

6. Chiron

Chiron Member

Keith Jones- F-

Reebok (Yao's Shoes)- F-

Tracy McGradys PR team- Epic Fail

7. echu888

echu888 Member

Hilarious. You don't want people to actually answer this question ...

8. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Rockets Season Grades or Rockets/Lakers grades???

To me it looks like you had the last series on your mind a little too much when writing this. Ron Ron a C+? thats a joke, as has been pointed out in other posts. I love the Chuckwagon but he had really been a non factor up until the last series, while he has no offense he is of no use unless we are playing a team with a high scoring PF/C he can shut down, so an A for me is a little high. Yao deserves an A, while he wasnt perfect he worked his ass off for this team and produced most of the night, you know its not easy for a 7'6 dude to play 35+ minutes every second night. While I think RA came good in the playoffs, clearly out coaching NM and at times Jackson I can still remember some port late game decisions that cost us wins in the season and that easier road in the playoffs.

9. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

fixed

10. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

I agree with most of the grades but it seems you're only grading the playoffs. Ron averaged 17 points a game during the year and bought toughness his grade is between B+ or A-. Wafer deserves a A+ just because he was just suppose to be camp fodder. Turned out to average almost 10 points a game and has went from being cut by 5 teams to a hot item in the free agent market. Ron deserves a higher grade just for not going in the stands or having off court trouble that was the biggest fear and don't forget his first three games with the Lakers.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Teflon Shane getting "A's". Predicatable.

Once again his legions of fans overlook his obvious shortcomings. He never got over his offseason foot surgery unrtil early February. And his shot and defense both looked horrid until then.

But it's Citizen Shane so let the "A's" roll in.

12. halfling131

halfling131 Member

It's nit picking, not nip picking. How's that for irony :).

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I won't dispute either of those statements, but is that a reason to bash the guy? Because he played injured? Obviously, the training staff felt he needed to work through the injury until he'd gotten back to normal, which is what he did. I mean, it would be great if someone could come back from surgery and pick up where he left off, but that's rarely the case. And once he got past the ankle problems, he was very solid until his slump the last couple of weeks of the regular season.

I think a more realistic grade for Battier would be a B, and a A- in the playoffs.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed - this is a jork-laden thread. In fact, I believe the Jork Store just called....

15. GloryDays 94-95

So let me get this right....

You like Shane for his intangibles, but you dont like Ron's for his intangibles because you believe toughness is not that important.Toughness is one of the elements that make the Jazz a problem for us. And if there is one thing that can get infected in a positive way for the team, it is toughness. Remember him playing through the ankle that was swollen? Yes I do agree about the bad shots, but haven't we had that in the past?(Francis, Mobley, T-Mac-Healthy). I bet you wouldn't dare give them a grade lower than a B. Offensively, he can be so much more efficient because he has the game. He may think he is better offensively than what he really is. Defensively, he hasn't fell off as much as you say. He puts his body on you to wear you down. There are not too many 6'7" 260lb wings out there. And your on ball d can be exposed without your big man there. It happened to Shane also.

16. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

your judgement of both of those decisions, when you clearly know nothing about either situation, is worse.

do you know what brent was doing when he wasn't on the court? he was helping the young players, teaching them how to attack, defend, what the action should look like, how to handle the media, giving them pointers during games, showing them how to be a good, professional teammate (even though he wasn't getting the minutes he wanted), hell, he was even working with the coaches on the gameplan. but no, none of that matters because some guy didn't see him on the floor and thinks that's enough for him to make a decision on the GM bringing him in. Morey, what the hell are you doing? you dont want people who actually make your team better, even when they aren't playing. what you want is players who only make an impact by putting up points in the box score and dunk on people. don't you know that this is what your public demands? to hell with winning.

and it wasnt just the rockets that didn't want deandre. NOBODY wanted deandre, because he sucked and didnt try in college. whereas dorsey was the best defensive player on a national championship quality team, a hard worker, and a legitimate shotblocking/rebounding force. you cannot teach the kind of freakish physical attributes he has, and he's actually pretty smart, and nasty, works hard, plays hard, and is a guy that teammates rally around. derrick rose, the freaking #1 pick in the draft said he wanted to win for joey more than himself. find another #1 pick who said he wanted to win for another guy on his team, because thats how much that guy inspired him. i'll take dorsey over a minimum-effort 7 footer anyday of the week, and so will Morey apparently. good for him.

just to cover all the bases, even in the case where joey doesn't turn into anything, and deandre turns into something, it was still the right decision at the time. just like giving up rudy gay for shane, and vspan for scola, and donte greene for ron artest.

17. hanm2

hanm2 Member

LMAO! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how well Tracy played offensively.

18. kanariya

kanariya Member

Tracy should get F.

19. acjeitherocket

i agree with OP except id give Ron a B-

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Adelman = B- (There are a lot of games during the regular season where he sub guys in that i don't agreed with and cost us some of the games. And those games could have giving up the #2 spot and make a lot of differences than going through the difficult route of Portland and LA)

Artest = B- (His shot selection is suspicious and he failed to go in the post more. He should be reduced to role player if his game is off rather than treating himself as a superstar and getting to shoot the bulk of inconsistent shots which hurt the team at time).

Yao = A+ (domination through out)
    Scola = A (excel in the Playoffs)
    Brooks = B+ (sure he has a lot of talents and quickness but his IQ isn't that great and his passing vision is below average)
    Battier = A- (he makes Kobe work and knocking down clutch shots)
    Landry = B (at time are very good)
    Hayes = B+ (does what the team ask him)
    Lowry = A (consistent throughout and not forcing anything. An indicative of a great player or would be one in the future).
    Wafer = B+ (Mr. Automatic and spark)