1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets releasing new "fan" site

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

haha, saw that too.

i was wonder if anyone still had thatpicture.

i'm just worried about names being jacked.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm not angry. I find it silly. You don't protect your assets by trying to fool your fans into believing a site designed as a promotional tool is really a "wiki."

If you are going to be open, be open. If you want to respond to people trashing you, do it. But, your job is to go to your fans, not to force them to come to you and play by your rules. To use your analogy, MANY bands have taken that very route. Instead of allowing music to be leaked in advance, they leak it themselves through the same websites others use for doing it without permission. If a blogger says something harsh, they comment on the blog directly or email the blogger to respond.

They don't create a brand new website and tell all their fans, "Ok, if you want to talk about us, you have to come over here." Not only is it completely inefficient, it's a waste of time and money.

In the world of new media, you control what people think of you and your business by meeting your customers on their turf and playing along. You don't force them to do something different unless what you are creating is unique and different from what is already available and this clearly is not.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

DaDakota has already started 6 threads.

GOOD LORD.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

A Doc Rocket sighting, very nice.

And that site looks like something that would have been cutting edge in about 1997.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on now, only 2...just for fun....lol.....and I don't start that many here, I just post in everyone elses.

:D

DD

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hop over to the deluca thread!

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Oh my goodness. Tinman is going to have multiple orgasms when he sees this.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

HAHAHA! Yall broke it!

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

LMAO I freaking love this :D

I'm pretty sure the heyPartner fella isn't legit though.. and LMAO at DaDa's avatar.. I wanna sign up and join the madness, but it's not letting me because of "maintenance"

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

how do i register? that douchebag heypartner is talkin trash already...****in loser!

11. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I have a feeling that it's not him.. despite all the douchebaggery he exhibited throughout the years, he always sorta kept it classy, so I don't see him going over to that r****ded clutchfans wannabe site and talking smack..

I'm trying to sign up too, it's freakign down for maintenance.. :mad:

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hold on a second. the rockets.com website is owned by the nba, no? All the teams use the same template...just different people helping with the work. Just like 50% of the luxury box sales are grabbed by Stern...the league promotes the franchises and takes money for the pool.

Is this fan site not just another NBA franchise venture run by the nba, promoted by the nba, all on behalf of the franchise to funnel more money into the league. Is every team going to start doing fan sites. I'm not so sure this is a Rockets vs cf.net thing. Maybe it is more about competing with the espn.com "fan sites". Or the fan forum at chron.com or other newspapers.

There is no way this new site will compete with cf.net...but it can compete with espn.com fan sites...no?

bottomline: Is Stern and the league provided this for all their franchises, like rockets.com is.

13. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Haha this could lead to much hilarity.

Pretty sure TMac forced the creation of that site because this one already got Ron Ron.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I don't think so, unless this is the first of them. Pistons.com has their own forums (not used) and they have their own history and stuff straight on the website - not a wiki, team created.

The fact that they are using a free wiki service with a sponsor instead of customizing their own (which isn't really that difficult to do) makes me think that it might be a template for other teams - if they want to try it.

There is just a lot of moderation that will be needed for a site like this and I doubt seriously that it will work.

I love the idea of a place where everyone can contribute, but it has it's flaws.

Maybe the crew has more information about it.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

At least JackieChiles doesn't have to choose his BBS anymore, he has been banned :D

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol wtf where do you see that? says it all, doesn't it

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hayesfan,

I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure that nba franchises are not allowed to create their own websites without the league having a stake. I assume that stretches to creating "fan wiki's"...

I don't know. I haven't looked at the site, yet. I am a contributing developer for a free wike project, and my company does resell that stuff under GPLs to big companies as a "forum" when we think the client doesn't know what "wiki" means.

I don't know. Just my first thought was to say this might not be something attempting to compete with cf.net.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are saying you haven't even looked, but you are already commenting on whether it is built to compete with clutchfans or not? :confused:

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The way they just threw a bunch of junk on a page is amusing.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes, its a conspiracy by the Rockets to control all media and bloggers :rolleyes: . Geez you guy take this forum way too seriously.