1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets release Jeff Adrien, Ish Smith (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

what he does wont show up on stats its just about having balance.

for instance anyone remember game 6 when T.ROB came in playing big on jones in the 4th on boards, put backs, hustling, and got the crowd hype in the 4th. That 5-7 mins he got in the 4th changed the game.

adriens a player that can do that or bang with a player like t.rob that tries him in the paint.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I saw this yesterday afternoon

Kinda made it seem like they weren't going to do the final cuts until today. Would make sense seeing as though Sunday would be the first time they'd have Clark run through a practice and be able to do some individual stuff.

Earl Clark being picked up after playing more than half a decade in the league makes me think they had some interest in him being able to play a role on this team, and it wasn't just about D-League rights. However 24 hours is a short time to impress the coaches and front office. He'd probably have to have one hell of a workout to make the team.

-Also- Cyberx is a Lakers fan, and Clark had his best year with the Lakers a few years ago. Its like our skewed opinion of Von Wafer due to his one good year with Houston.

#102 dobro1229, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Holy ****! You guys are crazy. Are you really this upset with losing an end of the bench player? I love Adrien's hustle and grit as much as you guys do, but it's not the end of season just because we released him lol. I swear, if I didn't know any better, I could of sworn Adrien is a star player in the making just by the reaction you guys are having.

Get a grip drama queens lol.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Adrien is better than a lot think. He could be a starter on a bad team and a lock for the 12th, 13th man on a playoff contender.

If he were not undersized, he would be even better.

He has matured a lot. He is a much better player than the guy Rockets signed first.
    The first time on the Rockets he was already the 12th man on the team.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You could say the same for TJones and DMo.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe the Rockets are keeping both Black and Dorsey because although Black has obviously been playing better, who knows if he can keep that up. He is an undrafted rookie after all.

Maybe Black was playing above his level and will come back down to Earth. Maybe Dorsey was playing below his level and will pick it up.

By keeping both, there is some insurance at the back-up center spot.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. Only talking about superstars is not shallow and superficial :rolleyes:

The league consists of blue collar players. They are the glue guys that makes stars look better

8. dobro1229

I think the contract is the main thing, but this is def. part of it. Having those two guys still on the roster will make the competition level high for the backup 5 spot.

If you cut one or the other, the guy left probably takes a deep breathe, and that might be catastrophic to their mentality going into some games.

Also- I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Dwight will probably miss a game here and there this season. For the C and PG spot, its always a good idea to go 3 players deep to account for injuries during the season.

That being said, I would have to think the Rockets will probably try and roll Dorsey into a trade at the deadline regardless, but if they make a trade for a key 3rd piece this year, maybe he improves enough to remain with the team next year as well.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can't make heads or tails as to what the front office has up their sleeves. to me, earl clark is the has been failure of what we would hope clint capela can become. one guy has already proven over the course of several seasons that he can't produce as a big man at an sufficiently effecient level, while the other is at least several seasons away from doing so. are we in "pursuit" right now, or not? :grin:

10. bmd

bmd Member

I wasn't really talking about them competing for the spot to keep the competition level high. I was talking more about Morey not having to gamble on them and choose one.

What if he cut Dorsey and Black's preseason performance was fools gold and now we're stuck with a bad player at back-up center?

What if he cut Black and either/or Dorsey turns out to suck or Black becomes a solid player for another team?

Either way, any cutting Adrien, who wasn't going to get a lot of PT anyway, Morey didn't have to gamble and choose one between Black and Dorsey.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If I go by your logic, Adrien is the most solid guy amongst those 3, he could not go wrong cutting either Dorsey or Black.

Black would have gone to another team or to the Vipers, that would be good for his development

Well Dorsey is Dorsey

12. dobro1229

Not sure what the issue is with people on here and Capela but that's another argument for another time. He's probably the most high upside player the Rockets have drafted since Yao (unless you count Rudy Gay), and everyone seems to be so incredibly short sited with guys like Adrien, and Clark that they'd be willing to give up on obvious lottery talent (in most drafts) for a player that they've heard of.

I'm not sure if anyone has checked or not lately, but the Rockets don't exactly have the greatest assets in the world right now to trade for a 3rd cornerstone player, and everyone is banking on the salary cap going up next year to get a 3rd stud. Well guess what... so is every other team in the league.

Point being.... the Rockets are going to need young guys like Capela, Johnson, etc. to end up being major talents to either develop into a legit talent, or give the Rockets more assets to be able to trade for that immediate talent. The fact that we even have idiots on the board that think its a good idea to trade him for peanuts right now before he ever steps foot on a NBA basketball court makes me embarrassed. Its the stuff that we make fun of Laker fans, and LOFer's for. Its stupidity.

13. dobro1229

I see that as pretty much the same thing. The cream will ultimately rise to the top with enough churning. Alot of that has to do with consistency throughout the season and bringing it on a nightly basis. We don't know what either guy will bring consistently or if what they showed in the preseason was a fluke (good or bad).

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That sums it up. "a lock for the 13th spot"

There's a good reason to cut a guaranteed contract to save this guy.

Yawn. Rolling over and going back to sleep.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm very curious now as to what you're basing this evaluation on. i've never seen him play live -- only youtube highlights. i've spoken to a friend who 2yrs ago was tight w/ capela's elan chalon team and was present for most of their games. his report on capela was not glowing, citing his extremely low bball IQ, and he also added "i think none of his teammates liked him there". i hope you have something more positive to share here...

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I think Dorsey is being kept due to Pap's familiarity with him, which is why I'm more than ok with this move. In reality how much burn would he get? DMo and Black IMO were ahead of him on depth chart.

17. AXG

AXG Member

Smith should be the next cut. He's done nothing spectacular. It was also a mistake signing Dorsey to a guaranteed deal...

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

pap was also teammates with pat beverley, so i would discount dorsey being retained for that reason

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While I am continuing to make fun of the Lakers, there are facts that I respect about them.

2 titles in the past 6/7 years while the Rockets have done nothing major in the playoffs the last 18 years

Moves that included getting Gasol, retaining Odom, getting Ariza, letting Bynum play and talking PJax into coaching them

They have richer history, more HOFers than Houston, vastly more titles

They sure look terrible at this moment but it was not long ago that they have been winning championships

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Probably true but water under the bridge as it relates to releasing Jeff Adrien at this point in time.

Is Adrien soooooo much better than Dorsey that it's worth a double hit to the salary cap? Neither one would get much PT as their true value is more for the practice squad to bang on Howard.