1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets release Jeff Adrien, Ish Smith (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Oct 27, 2014.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm gonna wait and see if any other trades or signings are made this week before making judgement. but it's very hard to argue against your post.

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Is the deadline for announcing cuts still 5PM Eastern today?

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Nah. Dorsey's contract is what held Adrien back.

Really unfortunate. Hoping he finds his way back onto the roster during the season.

1 person likes this.
  4. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

If the Houston Rockets' season is based on the roster moves of Jeff Adrien or Joey Dorsey, then we have some major issues. The Rockets will run will an eight or nine man rotation - not fifteen. :rolleyes:

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Good observation. Sounds about right. I luv this squad.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

never understood dorsey and capela in the first place, even when capela becomes a borderline allstar in 5 years

aint we supposed to win a championship this decade? results do matter

7. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Fire Morey!!! Jk but really liked Adrien from what I saw. Very disappointing

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You do realize that Adrien is an end of the bench player right? Nothing else. As much as I like him that is what he has proven in the NBA. Only teams like Milwaukee or Charlotte depend on players like Adrien for significant contributions.

He would be a nice player to have at the end of your bench, nothing else.

9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I think Ish is a goner.

Also think the team is not all set. Trades are for a little later.

I feel this group can go to war with the best and come out on top more times then not.

Go Rockets !

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Rockets had a 1st round pick to use so if it had not been Capela it would have been another 1st rounder and Adrien would have still been caught in a numbers game. Surely your not suggesting that the Rockets keep Adrien over Capela?

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We'd be ludicrous to let Cisco go. :)

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

it is not about Adrien. the team should get legit top 100 NBA role players not some 3rd string guy who is 30 and played in spain/greece

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am suggesting morey trade for hawes and thad young to bolster our roster, you get me? players that are legit not necessarily those names, tony allen, avery bradley, j. green......

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

People don't like it, but these would turn out to be the right cuts if this is true. More than likely, McHale probably isn't too happy about it either. You know he wants Ish on that roster along with Adrien.

With Dorsey, its all about the contract that he and his agent negotiated.

I guarantee you, the deal was "I want to come back from overseas, but not without a guarantee that I wont get cut in training camp and have to fly back to Europe with less leverage to renegotiate a deal in Europe".

Dorsey did a very smart thing by getting the deal he got. He understands that cap space next Summer will be at a premium, and it he doesn't cut it in Houston, they will look to trade him instead of just cut him.

The more interesting thing to note is no mention of Earl Clark here. His availability really made this preseasons cuts even more interesting. If they waive Adrien, Garcia, and Smith that will have to say alot about the role they think Clarke will have on this team.

I personally think Earl Clark is pretty much the same player as Josh Powell but maybe I'm wrong and he's shown improvement over the Summer. The guy has had the better part of a decade and ample opportunity to be a key rotation player, and has never been able to average more than 7PPG, and shoots the 3 around 35%. Not sure what the Rockets see in him that they would be willing to let go of someone like Adrien or Garcia to retain him.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dorsey did not even get extended looks from millwaukee and charlotte

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

^^^ dobro i thought we already waived clark, rite?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Haven't seen anything on it. Sunday's workout was the first time he's been able to get any work in with the coaches and players. I think today they are practicing in LA if I'm not mistaken. I assume they wanted to give him a shot to show them what he's got, and make a decision at the final moment this afternoon.

However it seems to me like there are alot of spinning plates right now. In that case, you'd have to think they might be working on a small trade of some sort, but I doubt anything is likely. Seems like they are exhausting all their options, and taking advantage of a free look at a potential free stretch 4. But that's if Earl Clark looks like a he's going to be a consistent shooter this year. I assume that's the big draw.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Question:

Should Adrien be picked up off of waivers , which I almost expect , how does that affect his contract & the Rockets cap situation ?! Does the other team assume that contract & wipe it off the Rockets books or are the Rockets still on the hook cap wise ?

19. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Wow...I didn't now I was in the wrong for being disappointed about losing someone who everyone thought would make our squad...I honestly don't see why you are so upset tho...We are all Rockets fans bro haha no need to argue within the fanbase :cool:

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

these are the posts i was going by:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9287875&postcount=176
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9288324&postcount=13291