1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Recruiting/Scouting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Jan 17, 2006.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

Very little has been discussed in this forum about Rockets Recruting team- is it just CD and The Coach?

I was going through the draft history from 2000 to 2005.

In two of those we did not have 1st round pick. Of Course, who can forget the Yao Ming year! ( and Boki). And then we had the Eddie Griffin debacle. To be fair- I mean absolutely fair- we have been pathetic. The Yao Ming pick was not really choice ( but it could have been Botched with negotiations going wrong!)

So my conclusion- is that we are more of 'Deal Makers' than recruiters of good talent.

It is amazing how many second round picks( and undrafted players) have proven themselves in the league in this time period.

The top 13 picks have been a mixed bag at best- I would say except for few well known names- the results have not been that great.

So- How we go about our Spotting 2 nd round ( late first round) talent is something that we should really improves- I dont think Scouts cost that much and if we really put together a Solid team of veterans ( I would definitely take a hard look at who did the job for the past 5-6 years) and Add a few million in Payroll in this department!

CD is an old hand- but he is more of a deal maker with a clean reputation. We desperately need San Antonio Calibre recruiting ( How else do you explain their picking Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili)

I still will give Van Gundy the benefit of the doubt this year ( or injuries!)- but something needs to change with our scouting. I just hope Luther Head is more of the nature of things to come ( think about it- if we were healthy, Luther would not be as known today, except for his interesting last name!)

2. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Hire scouts from Dallas and San Antonio.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. pay them double. we can't mess up this pick!

4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

recruiting is when you're trying to convince someone to pick you. the only recruiting in the nba is done during free agency.