1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets recall Marcus Morris from the D-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BossHogg713, Feb 20, 2012.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He got a chance to prove he was a great offensive player, which the Rockets admitted he was. This team doesn't need great offense right now from the opinion of the coaching staff (w/Lowry, Martin, Scola etc.) therefore Parsons' defensive abilities give him the leg up on Marcus.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly i just wanted to point that out i'm still upset about that. We never even gave these guys shot practice so a lot times what you do in practice is irrelevent when rockets management already has their minds made up on things.

3. cheifbootknocka

Trade? Trade trade tarde trade. Trade trade.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Excited to see him in game action.

If Morey can't sweep out the '09ers by March 15th, I hope we just buy that group of bums out.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey may be under pressur to trade some fluff to make way for these young guns. Especially after not seeing Lin's potential. Pressure is all on morey now.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wonder where they find minutes for him with Parsons , Lee & Budinger all getting minutes at the SF spot.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Budinger isn't getting consistent minutes..

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , he didnt play against Minny and I didnt see him play against Memphis.

Going to be really interesting to see how they find any minutes for Morris.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morris likely find minutes when the Rockets are stuck in an offensive drought with their 2nd unit. If there is one part of Morris' game that's NBA-ready, it's his ability to create shots for himself. Something that many current Rockets do not possess.

10. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I agree 100% about creating offense for himself.I think he can be really special.But too many people are taking this playing defense on the small forward position overboard. Last time I checked Paul Pierce, Danny Granger, and Carmelo Anthony weren't defensive stoppers.In fact they are bad on defense but yet many clutchfans would take them in a heartbeat.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Since when are Granger and Pierce bad defenders? They're good, solid guys on the defensive end of the court.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not Carmelo.

13. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Read up on Morris's biography before you make this statement. It isn't "He can play defense." vs. "He can't play defense." It's an issue of basketball IQ where you consistently hurt your team and give the opponent anywhere from 3-10% better chance of scoring/possession if you have a player on the court who doesn't have good bball IQ for his position.

Simply, there are things you can slack on as a 4 that you cannot slack on a PG or a wing and visa-versa, so whereas Melo has always been a wing/point-forward his entire life, Morris hasn't so I assume even if Morris will put his butt down and show good effort on the ball, he is probably terrible chasing cutters, running thru screens, knowing when to help down-low (since usually he was down low already), etc. Melo may not play defense that well, but he is a hell of a lot more comfortable guarding NBA wings than Morris may be until next year even with PT.

14. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Following from my previous post.... here is how I see Morris getting PT:

I personally think that Parsons is giving opponents a negative differential in scores/possession, maybe decreases their efficiency 5% compared to Morris (so one out of every 20 possession, Parsons is THE reason why the opponent isn't scoring). After an 80+ possession game, that can add up to almost double figures. So Morris will see PT when the staff feels he can account for the increase in points allowed vs. Parsons playing by putting up good and efficient offensive numbers.

Off topic but.... You can use the same argument but in reverse for why I think K-Mart is expendable when you have a defender like Lee as his backup. Playing Lee over Martin may lose us 5-7 ppg, but I know he will help our defense that much at least if not more in points allowed.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My prediction is that Chandler does get quite a bit better on the offensive end over the next 2-3 years. Guy has a great first step. I would like to see him emulate Shaner in the way the he can get the occasional post up in the paint and hit the little hook over an opponent.

16. hahachui

hahachui Member

I want to say good bye to martin....not bud

17. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

+1. Writing's on the wall... it's time to go.

Although K-Mart would be a great piece to trade in a year with that $12 mil expiring and would be a great infusion of scoring for a low seed playoff team.

Budinger and his south of a million dollar contract and sit on my bench until he retires. He can stay.

18. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I see what you are saying;you make a great point.But lets just see how he performs getting regular min in the NBA.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

#119 BetterThanEver, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The assumption is good. It's one that I am sure many people make, when they are not familiar with his playing history.

He was a SF for his entire life, until he played for the Kansas Jayhawks. He switched to the 4, because the Jayhawks needed a PF. The transition from SF to PF took some time. The transition back to SF, will take some time also. It's going to take more than 1-2 months to go back to his old position(Jan and Feb). It may take 3 months. Nobody knows, until he is given a chance. The good thing is that he can go back to the bench, if he fails. At least, they find out what they have. Look at Pekovic(T-Wolves, who was riding pine. Nobody really knew he was good, until Adelman played Pekovic. Once he proved it, everybody took notice.

Here is his old team roster, before coming to the Kansas Jayhawks.

http://westvirginia.scout.com/a.z?s=159&p=8&c=2&nid=3446996&yr=2007

[​IMG]

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2122827

[​IMG]

#120 BetterThanEver, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012