1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets recall Ish Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 23, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I believe the bench group needs someone who can create for them.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The bench is built around transition and energy, the first unit plays well with Brooks or Lowry......

DD

3. tested911

tested911 Member

Bye Bye Vassilis Spanoulis
    [​IMG]

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Those games when lowry were out, ariza was out also. I thought once they made the martin trade and ariza moved down as an option, the combo was good. Brooks,Martin,and scola handle the scoring load, ariza and whomever else handle the subtle,dirty work stuff. Not championship quality,but better than what we have now.

5. DaDakota

As I said, we got better individually and worse as a team.

DD

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks is a pretty good creator; he can get past his defender just about anytime he wants to.

7. DaDakota

The problem with Brooks, or one of them is that the Rockets keep running a screener out there and he gets trapped on the high side.

Last year they got a lot more effective when they allowed Brooks to play a 1 flat....

They need to stop sending that screener, space the floor and when their man rotates off of them either move or get ready to catch and shoot.

That is how AB is effective, the PnR with Scola works ok too, but only because Scola moves to open space, away from the trap and into AB's vision.

It is so simple, and the coaching staff seems to be totally unaware....

DD

8. rocketsmetalspd

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1 flat works for getting off a single shot at the end of the quarter. It is not the way you want to run an offense for 48 minutes. 1 flat puts us in the lottery for sure. It's too easy to force a lower percentage shot. And the runouts off it are horrendous.

10. truhoustonfan

truhoustonfan New Member

Well lets talk about just how bad Ish sucks! At the beginning of the season when Aaron Brooks was healthy we were undefeated right? Wrong! Ish is a rookie, and a very prominent one at that. As a matter of fact we forget what exactly Ish has done, like take us into overtime against the spurs, or in washington DC november 10 how Ish made John wall look like a freshman in college. You can under estimate Ish Smith skills all day long but I will tell you what the rockets won't let him go. Oh and just incase you think i'm lying go ask the rockets front office how many teams have called and begged them to let Ish go so they can have him! They know the moment Ish Smith is out of Houston, he will take off and thats not what they want. Learn who's got potential idiot. Aaron Brooks should be better than any rookie, but if the rookie can match up to you in any shape or form, now thats a problem. So be careful on who you say sucks and who is good!!!!

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You preach a lot about ball movement, and moving off the ball. Even criticized tmac for holding the ball and playing too much one on one. Now, you basically want Brooks to go one on one? Look, if Brooks can't effectively run a simple pick and roll, which is easily one of the easiest plays in basketball, then we're in trouble. But I understand what youre trying to say. Like tmac, Brooks is most effective with the ball in his hands as opposed to playing off the ball.

12. DaDakota

Brooks can run it, but to overlook his stature is silly, the guy clearly has limitations, and in order to properly run the PnR, the guy setting the pick needs to recognize what the defense is going to do before he rolls or moves to open space.

The only 2 guys on the team that are good at that are Scola and Miller, while Hill knows how to roll, he fails at recognizing the trap and rolls anyway and no one can get the ball to a roller when they are trapped.

What should happen is Hill moves to an open space that AB can see before the trap gets there, ala Scola at the elbow.....

One of the problems with the 2nd unit, and Lowry would have it too, is the bigs, primarily Hill are really raw....and not that savvy.

I hope that makes sense....

DD

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No they didnt, they created a log jam they didnt need. They have all sg's and 1 sf. Its not really about who I like, but it made more sense to keep trevor and trade shane And run the rotation on martin,ariza,and chase. Now they have lee and williams, everyone is getting squeezed for minutes.

I've also heard how overrated trevor was as a defender,yet N.O. is locking teams down with his gambling as well as cp3's gambling despite the fact bellinelli is the sg.

14. DaDakota

Ariza would not make a difference, the guy is as overated as they come, he cheats on defense, leaves others exposed and can't do the simplist things like dribble drive or create in a triple threat position.

I am not saying holding onto Battier was the right thing, in fact, right now, he should go, I am saying that paying Ariza 4 more years when it is obvious he is not that talented was the right thing to do.

I also think more highly of CBud and TWill than you apparently do, I think Twill especially could man that position, though I honestly think that he should be the SG, over Martin some day.

I like KMart, but think he is fools gold, he just doesn't make a team better, for all that scoring, he is just about a net zero on the floor.

DD

15. Rockets_4_life

Yeah I agree on K-Mart, the guy fills up the stat sheet, but really doesn't impact the game like you think he would. I also I think Battier need's to go as well, the guy is no longer in the long term plans with this team, and the rockets need to get what ever value they can for him...

Also, lucky for us, this upcoming draft has some very promising young SF (T.Jones, Barnes, Vesely) that can start next year for us, allowing us to move Williams to his natural spot at SG...

16. DaDakota

No, not every possession, the offense doesn't work like that....but I am saying when you want to use Brooks as the initiator, you go 1 flat, or you go with a big who understands spacing and how to utilize it in a pick and roll or pick and pop.

DD

17. Roxs-Redemption

I guess if we are lossing by a lot of points at Dallas, then he will propably teaming up with T-Will + P-Pat

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So the reason he was recalled was because of Jeffries' hyper-extended knee? No other trade rumors?

19. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Ish winning his first start was pretty dope too, just wait til AB gets traded and Ish getting playing time. Rockets haven't been able to keep a PG for awhile since Steve Francis, but I hope we keep Ish for years to come!

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

What are the chances this was preemptively done to get him a bit of practice time before they send Brooks to the D-league?