1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Corey Brewer to 3-year, $24M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2015.

1. rocketsmetalspd

Great news getting Brewer back on the team. Still need to fill the positions that have PF and PG. I hope everything falls into place for the team.

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

This might be a great sign of things to come. Brewer and Dekker at SF. We have good depth at SF. I think Ariza is trade bait. It may not be LMA but Morey always surprises with his skill at trades.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

how much was the last year of this previous contract that he opted out from?

4. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Glad he's staying

5. spark06

spark06 Member

I could see Ariza or Brewer being packaged in a trade now. Why else pay a guy so much while playing MINIMAL minutes backing up Ariza?

6. spark06

spark06 Member

And just to put things in perspective, he's getting paid more than what Beverley's new contract is gonna give him.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was always a long shot anyways. DMo is gonna bust out this season, I can feels it.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

why do you think this is too much?

brewer is by far a player that is tailor made for our system. he runs, he can finish, he is a spark. also wasn't he top 5 in steals last season?

this is a great deal and will look even better once the cap rises.

9. spark06

spark06 Member

Because he just doesn't get enough MINUTES to justify that money. Don't get me wrong I love brewer, but as a backup who is very inconsistent shooting the ball...it's hard for me to accept him getting paid more than Beverley.

10. spark06

spark06 Member

And FYI, brewer was 30th amongst steals leaders last year. I already doubt your judgment. Lol

11. jdjd

jdjd Member

I have to agree with this. The drafting of Dekker along with the resigning of Brewer makes a trade of Ariza or Brewer possible.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's a solid deal. It isn't over paying and if we lost him for nothing then the Rockets would be worse. He adds continuity and depth.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So we are paying Brewer as much as Ariza....interesting

14. vstexas09

my apologies. brewer was top 5 when we acquired him. aron baynes got a deal for 3 yr-20 mil, other players are getting deals that are significantly higher than previous due to the new cap raise...

a player like brewer is hard to come by. we saw the effectiveness of having him because ariza was able to get rest and later get his shot back. there is much more value to him than the numbers say.

a trade of brewer/ariza is also not out of the question.

there were games in which harden was tired, spent and brewer immediately gave us energy off the bench.

our bench saved our asses this season, and if we let him go, who do we replace his type of production with??

beverley getting paid that much indicates to me (if we do keep him and not do an S&T) that we can still acquire a starting level PG

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is just stupid. Are you proud of your ignorance?

16. spark06

spark06 Member

So just because guys are getting overpaid left and right, because of a very shallow free agent pool and a teams desperation, we should join along? No. We are championship contenders. We are not the Knicks. And just because the cap will be rising does not mean EVERY player in the NBA should get paid more.

17. MONON

MONON Member

& I'm fine with that, as long as we get another ball handler. Welcome Bev & Brew!

18. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Great deal

19. vstexas09

who says this is overpaying? this is the new standard. the cap rise was not agreed upon for ****s and giggles, it is so that players can get paid more!

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Brew + Bev = defense and team chemistry on team-friendly deals. Morey making solid moves.