1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Chris Paul to 4 year, $160M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the decision to re-sign Chris Paul? (4 yrs, $160M)

1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I feel much worse now about CP's contract.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm curious if CP3 re-signs here if we won the championship. Priorities change when you win. Maybe then he decides to join LeBron in LA.

3. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

I voted yes, this is our best chance and 4 years is a fair deal.

Do I hope that we had a similar super start at their twenties and with a max contract of $25 million, yes, but in reality, you have to tank multiple years to get there, with Harden is reaching his prime, we can not afford that now.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's nuts! I mean, Lebron James played 156 games the last two seasons to CP3's 119. I don't get why we are paying CP3 more money, when he isn't as durable or as good as Lebron. Maybe Lebron wouldn't have taken our offer, even if it was 50 million. Maybe he wants to be King, on a team where he doesn't share the spotlight with the Beard. Maybe he didn't want to come to a city that was pretty much under water last October, and decided to take a chance with wildfires of California, to live amongst more rich and famous.

lw17, PeterKingX and BigShasta like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

CP3 with the worst contract of the off-season! We are going to be so screwed with this injury plagued little ego. I guess that LA scene changed him and there was a reason most people didn't like him.

PeterKingX likes this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets did not have the money to offer LeBron a max deal. The only way they could’ve acquired him is via a sign and trade, like they did with Chris Paul last year. However, because the NBA allows teams to go above the cap to re-sign their own free agents, the Rockets had the ability to offer CP3 a max contract, and they did.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Whether CP3 took 30 million a year or 40 million a year, the Rockets were going to be over the cap regardless. Unless you enjoy letting all first or second-team NBA caliber players walk without having a viable means of replacing them, the Rockets had to bring him back.

BMoney likes this.
  8. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Or maybe you have no clue... Seriously read some posts by other people and try to understand the situation.

BMoney likes this.
  9. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

CP3 contract can and will become an issue for us in his 3rd and 4th yr, but we are in a win now mode. harden is in his prime and we have to win now.

People can't be in their tunnel visions and think only about money and contracts. We got CP on a wink wink deal, plus we were one win away from the final. We have to bring CP back no matter what, or else NO future FA will ever join us.

See PG issue with the Lakers as an example

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

No team except Rockets would give old fragile CP 160 million.We are silly.

fattz and kevtse like this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

There is reason why CP3 never win championship.

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

Its a waste of money. The refs will never allow us to win a WCF series fair and square anyways.

Swiss Roll likes this.
  13. biina

biina Member

That is simply not true. Even DJ seems to be on his way to Dallas despite the fiasco from last time.

Every player will decide what they think is best for them. Worst case is that the word of Morey becomes less credible in the short term. But players know that it is a business.

My thoughts, with Lebron not coming, would have been to gut the team, keeping only the younger core, aiming to try and bring in one or more star players next summer when Anderson would be easier to trade. CP3 is in decline and would put more burden on Harden each year. It was a similar situation that led lebron to leave Miami and return to Cleveland as he saw that Wade was getting older, more injury prone and clearly in decline.

So far, nothing has happened this summer to improve the rockets chances of winning next season. In fact, chances can be said to be lower with the loss of Ariza and Lebron coming to the West.

lw17 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Because its sweeter to win with CP3

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Forgive me if this has already been answered but can this Chris Paul deal be a sign and trade? I forgot the rules of that. I'm scared this Chris Paul deal is a sign and trade to the Lakers. Someone @BimaThug please release me from my fears

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dude....come on....

17. fattz

fattz Member

I would like it if were:
    Lakers team fill everything we need
    we get younger & more durable
    Championship window is opened for 5+ years
    Money to resign Capela
    Lakers MAY get one ring but will be in shambles for 5+ seasons trying to recover.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow. Getting pretty hysterical in here.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sounds like another Rockets offseason

Swiss Roll likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

And what was that reason? He's been injured and when he was healthy his teammates were injured. It certainly wasn't because of effort or on court/off court play