1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets power ranking on espn...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by saviorlh, Sep 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

That's ignorant, but fair play to you. I'm not a Sonics fan, but the city got hosed by Bennett and Stern, which was discussed ad nauseum in the NBA Dish. So Thieves in my book.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Yao is out.

As much as people want to believe McGrady is going to make this comeback, he hasn't yet. Nobody knows for sure how it will play out with him. He certainly doesn't have a history of durability.

Artest is gone. I'm happy with the Ariza acquisition but as an individual, he hasn't accomplished as much as Artest.

What we did against the Lakers was special but it was a relatively small sample size and we did ultimately get blown off the floor in the deciding game when all the marble were on the table.

We don't even have a clear cut replacement at the 5 spot. Certainly no proven commodity.

I don't put a lot of stock into ESPN (or NBA 2K10 for that matter) but I can hardly blame them for ranking us that low.

We all want to believe we'll scratch and claw our way to overachievement and that McGrady will bounce back to his prime form but those things may not happen. As hard as it is to think about, it's not impossible that we end up being a 25 to 30 win team. We may win 40 to 45 games, too, if everything goes perfectly but you can't rule out the alternative given all the setbacks.

3. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Perhaps it might help if I point out a paragraph from that article.

In all honesty, I think 22 is fair. As previously pointed out ad nauseum, Yao is out for the season, T-Mac has yet to return, Artest bolted in free agency, and the biggest name player added so far is Ariza. That's a precipitous drop in star power, to put it mildly.

I do think putting the Bobcats ahead of the Rockets is questionable, considering that the Bobcats always find a way to fall short of their own potential... a remarkable achievement in its own right.

I'm in agreement with Durvasa. I'm quite fine with the Rockets starting out at 22, and then bubbling upward through the ranks as (a) the weaker teams above the Rockets sink to their appropriate levels, and (b) the Rockets demonstrate their usual indomitability.

4. acjeitherocket

wow 22nd....lmfaaaooooooo & smh

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Why are you irritated?... Y'all bent Seattle over and..

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Maybe they did it to commemorate our epic win streak.

Ok, I'm reaching...

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

glad ESPN doesn't decide Champions....

Just wait until this team is exceeding their expectations for them and then all the sudden the Rockets would be the cinderella team or one of the commentators sleeper choice that made them look good...

Rankings by a Maverick doesn't mean squat to the team...

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The Rockets are behind the Thunder, Clippers, Bobcats, 76ers, and the Wizards...

WTF. :confused:

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

clippers are a much better team this year though.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Huh? They've put USC into a title game at least twice.

11. mcmo2789

mcmo2789 Member

o hell no their under rating the hell out of us

12. Bornz

Bornz Member

That is actually the best suggestion I've heard from someone about this team. JVG would be amazing for the team and himself, mostly because Durant reminds us all of a younger T-mac.

imo that team need more post scoring though.

13. dragonz

dragonz Member

holy cow, after bobcat? how much did MJ paid ESPN to make up a BS like this?

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

But it's the Clippers.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

22 is too high man...even the kings at number 30 has kevin martin and tyreke evans...who do we got??? Ariza and Scola??? Yeah playoff big 2 right there...

I'd rather if we get the worst record in the league and comes back strong with the best record in the league rather than being 20 right now and coming back at 10...

I hope not to be shortsighted.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are dismissing the solidity of all our role players combined.

17. Francis 4 ever

I agree people on this board overrate the rockets because of those 2 give away games against the lakers (when we had artest) Andersen is a nobody. We bought into Ariza when his price peaked and he probably isn't going to be half what we are expecting of him. All I am hoping for is some player development and a fast pace exciting ball game.

18. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I think everyone way overrates artest. I cant remember how many times i saw him with the ball and prayed to GOD that he wouldnt jack up a fadeaway 3 ptr. And the wins over the lakers were not giveaways..even phil jackson told the media to give them some "f&%$ing credit".. they were won by the team with the most heart, and the lakers are lucky we did not win game 3 or we would have beaten their a$$es in the series..hate em....but still not as much as the jazz.. :cool:

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Put us in the 30th slot for all I care.

I know the rest of the team thrives when doubt looms.

This will be a fun season. I can't believe I'm looking foward to it, considering the injuries. I like our cast...it reminds me of the old Stevie/ Cuttino days, before JVG came. The Rockets will be fighting all season for a spot in the playoffs and for an ounce of respect from the media. That can be a good thing.

20. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It reminds of the Stevie/Cuttino days because both squads have heart. However, the current team plays so much smarter and has a lot more trust in one another as teammates.

And as much as I hate to rag on CD and Rudy, Morey and Adleman blow them away as far scouting, game prep, and coaching adjustments.