1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Power Forward Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Apr 22, 2013.

1. basketballholic

He's 3 or 4 years younger than Marion I believe.

2. seyton

seyton Member

I think its pretty clearly Josh Smith.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The sheer amount of players that have been suggested this year's off season is comical.

4. basketballholic

Well, I actually believe that multiple combinations of players make us championship contenders.

For instance...I think we could sign Paul Millsap and trade for Anderson Varajao to play center minutes backing up Asik and I think those guys combined with what we already have would make us championship contenders.

Another example, replace Millsap with Kirilenko and trade for Varajao and I think we are championship competitive.

I also think we could sign Dwight and trade for Ilyasova and be championship contenders.

I also think if we simply traded a youngster or two for Pau Gasol that we would be championship competitive next season.

I think we could trade for Pau using cap space and still have enough assets to trade for another front court player to play alongside Asik and Pau, perhaps AK-47 or Millsap in a S&T or straight trade for Ilyasova, etc.

I actually think there is a number of routes that we could take that would make us championship contenders.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The Howard deal is the only one that has a chance to produce a title winner.

6. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The difference is, the Thunder have long, athletic guys who can guard every position. Sefalosha, Durant, Ibaka can D up with any guard, forward, or center.

7. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I actually think Chris Bosh is the ideal player for us and even with a championship this year might be able to get him due to upcoming luxury tax for miami.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

Signing J.Smith can make the team better, but not great.
    Only Howard can give us a shot to be a title contender.

9. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

If Yao decides to do a comeback would that be with the Rockets? I meen his only 32 years old...

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This.
    If we upgrade the 4 with a player who's anything less than a bonified star, it will be on a team-friendly deal. Otherwise I think most would agree tht our 4s, who are all still 22 or younger, will be better next year.

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

This. I would give him no more than $10-12 mil

12. TLC

TLC New Member

I say sign Millsap and call it an offseason.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its going to be a very interesting Summer to say the least.

Thought #1-

Personally, I want the Rockets to stay FAR, FAR away from an "Instant Gratification" type of PF who they have to lock up LONG TERM. Meaning, no Smith, Millsap, Jefferson, etc. if they require long term contracts. Carlos Boozer is the perfect example of who the Rockets do not want to lock themselves up with.

Actually at that particular time, when Chicago signed Boozer, he was probably more productive than the aformentioned players. Just goes to show you the difference between borderline all-star, and superstar talent.

Thought #2-

I do think the Rockets have some serious talent for the future at the PF spot in D-Mo, Jones, and Robinson. I dont expect that White will make the roster at the end of training camp next Fall. One or more of these guys will eventually be a better option that a Josh Smith, Jefferson, or Millsap long term as soon as next year. It would be unwise for the Rockets to completely give up on them all to sign someone like those vets long term.

Thought #3-

Im not opposed to the Idea of acquiring an elite second scoring option at the SF spot, and moving Parsons over to the PF spot next season if that SF is an elite option to pair with Harden. You can always go big off the bench, and get creative with your rotations if you need to. If an elite SF comes on the market, Im not opposed to Chandler moving over to the 4.

Thought #4-

Best of both worlds - Enter Pau Gasol coming to Houston at a minimal cost for the last year of his contract. Possibly just at the cost of Thomas Robinson, Aaron Brooks, and/or Delfino if needed on draft night.

IMO Gasol can still play at an elite level for 4 to 6 more years if managed right ALA Duncan in SA. His skill set fits perfectly for this team. He can fit right in either in the starting lineup, and as your closing Center late in games.

Best part about Gasol is he is only on a one year deal. If D-Mo, Jones, Smith or whomever aren't ready yet for primetime, here is their chance to develop another season under Gasol, still get a decent amount of minutes in the rotation (especially early in the season), and retain cap flexibilty to BOTH resign Gasol if you wanted to, have assets to trade for another star if they become available.

Best part is they are actually in a better position to go after another free agent in the summer of 2014 by shedding more salary with Thomas Robinson going to the Lakers in this type of trade.

#53 dobro1229, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We couldn't do this deal until after July 1st when we free up cap space, given Gasol's $19 million salary.

15. dobro1229

Good point. I believe the drop date for picking up team options is actually June 30th. However it might not affect the trades if they know ahead of time that LA values someone like Brooks/Delfino or doesn't.

If they do want them, you pick up their options, and use them in the trades. If they dont, you dont pick up their options. After the Rockets decline the options of Garcia, Brooks, etc. they should have enough cap space to trade for Gasol on July 1st using just Robinson if my math serves me right.

If the Lakers just dont want to take back any salary at all, The Rockets could just as well pick up Gasol off the amnesty wire if thats a better option for the Lakers.

#55 dobro1229, Apr 23, 2013
  16. larry cook

larry cook Member

tru, tru

17. basketballholic

Gasol will not be amnestied. He has too much trade value. Frankly, I doubt if the Lakers trade him. I think they're gonna extend him and keep him even if they keep Howard.

However if Gasol is traded to the Rockets...it would do one other thing for us. It would put us in the catbird's seat for trading for KLove in another year. Minnesota is one of the teams that would be hottest on the trail to acquire Gasol in order to entice Rubio to sign a long-term max contract.

In my opinion, the teams that are going to be hot on the trail to trading for Pau are Memphis, Boston, and Minnesota. I really think Memphis is going to try to trade Zach for young talent this off season and see if they can swing assets to the Lakers to get Pau to team up with Marc.

And I suspect Ainge is going to take a shot at acquiring Gasol. Perhaps a Green/C.Lee/Sullinger deal for Pau?

Also, Minnesota, if they have to move Love and if they don't re-sign Pek..could become a major player for Pau. I'm wondering if Love will see the possible opportunity to escape to LA this summer if he throws a big enough fit and tries to force them to trade him there. It would make sense for him to try to force their hand this summer because if Pau gets traded somewhere else before they are ready to trade Love then he won't have the opportunity to wind up in LA. So I can see Love attempting to pull a power play this summer in order to try to get to LA.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They might be able to move Gasol for absolutely nothing or if they're lucky, next to nothing, but that's the most they'll get offered.

But if there are no biters, they are up to their neck in luxury tax, and as profitable as the Lakers are, being the Buss' only major investment, they can't play the "what luxury tax?" game that Prokhorov will.

19. dobro1229

The reason why an Amnesty of Pau is even discussed is because so few teams have the cap space to acquire him in a trade AND give the Lakers any if not worse financial flexibility moving forward.

The only options I see to trade for Gasol without giving back huge amounts of salary would be Utah, New Orleans, Detroit, Cleveland, and the Rockets. I just dont see any of those teams looking at Gasol as a good fit on their team enough to give up a piece like T Robinson for him.

-Also, if the Celtics want to trade for Gasol, and offer the Lakers a package that involves the guys you are mentioning, They would be taking back almost 15 million next year, and 16 million the year after. In that case there is almost no point in trading Gasol.

If for some reason, Minnesota with Love or Portland with LMA decide to move either guy during the season, the Rockets still have the flexibilty to get creative in a trade using Either Gasol's expiring contract or involving Lin/Asik to get the deal done.

Acquiring Gasol doesn't hurt you that much in trades for 2014 and if you find the right team looking to shed some long term salary, he can actually help ALA the T-Mac/NYK trade a few years ago.

#59 dobro1229, Apr 23, 2013
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This is exactly the wrong type of mindset to go about filling our PF position.

All of our current PFs on the roster are below the age of 24 and have little to no NBA experience. If we learn to be patient at give these guys a more than half a year to develop we may be able to fill our need in house.

Although, if the opportunity were to arise where we can possibly fill the need thru trade with immediate star impact (just as an example, Kevin Love) with minimal assets being relinquished I would definitely make that a strong consideration.

But to throw money at a guy or guys like Brandon Bass, Chuck Hayes (as much as I love this guy), or someone like Andray Blatche would be a complete waste of resources and a roster spot.

I would much rather develop my talent in house than to pay someone an exorbanant amount of money just to be a mid fodder player and steal time away from our young bigs and further impair their development.