1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, poorly run?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinrocket, Aug 16, 2002.

1. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

The Rockets management seems to be making poor decisions lately.
    granted ill always love them....
    Signing Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato to big money long contracts. ?????????
    The two best players are guards which obviously is not the best way to build a team.
    Yao Ming is either a bust or star but far from a sure thing. Eddie Griffin still has a ways to go.
    The rest of the team is fairly questionable.
    Guys like Collier, Langhi, Morris. Are they even NBA quality players, probbaly not.
    Mobley needs to be dealt with one of the big men for an upgrade at PF or C. We might win a few more games next year but that team won't ever be in serious contention. I think Ming and Francis might be a solid core, but we definitely need a tough, enforcer/ rebouder at PF, like a Ben Wallace, Danny Fortson.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't think so. I've read that Mo was signed for 1 year, and was pretty sure ;) ;) he'd get a better contract the next year. I think if you add an extra year and an extra million, it looks better. Cato is overpaid, but so are a lot of NBA centers. Langhi isn't even on the team, but was a second-round pick as was T-MO. Collier was somewhat bad, but he was a big man who could shoot. Not to mention he got us Griff.

We could use an enforcer, but we may do well without. Maybe T-Mo could be this?

JMO.

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think this has been brought up all too much. Yes the management has done some dumb things, but they have also done far more amazingly good things for this team as well (EG, Ming, Cat, and etc.)

Stop the fighting.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

I've always wondered about the contract ranting. Last summer, most people were fine with signing Mo to his deal. There were some that thought we may have overpaid a little, but in general the mood was positive. Since then, he hasn't played a game and now the Rockets are morons for giving him the contract?

Unless you were on the Rockets last summer for signing Mo, which very few were, just stop it. The only thing that's happened since that contract is Mo injuring his knee, which actually came from the work he was putting in during the summer.

The rest of it is even more :rolleyes: .

The two best players wouldn't be guards except Mobley developed into a star from the 41st position in the draft, but you totally ignore that decision. My guess is that it's hard to trade a guy that signed away the prime of his career for under value just to stay in Houston. Especially when he's a leader on the team and you have three power forwards.

You don't need to be telling us what this team can or cannot do since you've never seen them play together and you have no idea how good Ming or Griffin will become.

5. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Wallace I would love to have. Forston has proven nothing in my mind because he is always hurt. You are right in your analysis, but wrong in your Rockets, poorly run statement.

Do you think SAC-town would love to have an NBA Title? What about NJ, Phoenix.....etc......my point is just because a team does not have all the "gifts" to be an elite team in the league, does not mean it is poorly ran. The organization goes through ups and downs regardless of how great the coaching and overall organization is....Free Agency, Injuries, Age and other factors come into play all the time. Acquiring players should be though of has a long-term play. Right now, the Rockets have some of the most exciting players in the league and are on the verge of something really cool, but a few parts are needed....With a little luck and an acquisition here or there, we could be deep in the playoffs...

So, my question to you is, what is your expectation of an organization that is not poorly ran? Is it Western Conference Finals everyyear? That is the question you have to ask. Is Utah, Seattle, Phoenix poorly run, because they will be hitting hard times soon as players age and retire. Let's not label just yet. Sure moves have been made that are, in hindsight, questionnable, but late 80s to early 90s was kind oh hum around here and then we went on a tear going to the playoffs 7 straight seasons., winning 2 championships too! We hit a lull in 1999 and could be poised for another run...

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IMO only a few organizations in the NBA are REALLY poorly run: The Warriors, the Clippers. Some might want to throw the Knicks in that catagory too. The Nets used to be one, but they have turned it around. Same with the Grizzlies before they got West.

The Mavericks used to be pretty bad too. Mark Cuban, hate him all you want, has done something all the previous owners didn't do for the organization.

There are also only a few that are REALLY well-run. The Lakers, the Kings. (Isn't it interesting how California has all the extremes?:confused: ), the Spurs, and YES the Rockets! We are one of the best run organizations IMHO ever since Rudy and CD took charge.

The Celtics are a good organization except those years with Pitino.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Poorly run!? The Rockets went from an aging, former championship team to an "on-the-fly" rebuilding project where they won 45 games the 2nd year of that project, and then got hammered with injuries. At full health this team is a 50+ win team and a playoff team I think.

<b>The two best players are guards which obviously is not the best way to build a team.
    Yao Ming is either a bust or star but far from a sure thing. Eddie Griffin still has a ways to go. </b>

This is ridiculous, you build around guards, that's how big men get the ball. And you're ripping the Rockets for drafting a potential franchise center and power forward!?

<b>The rest of the team is fairly questionable.
    Guys like Collier, Langhi, Morris. Are they even NBA quality players, probbaly not.
    </b>

Well good thing they're not important parts of the team huh? Langhi isn't even ON the team anymore, Collier is our 3rd string center, and Morris is the 20th man on the team.

<b>Mobley needs to be dealt with one of the big men for an upgrade at PF or C. </b>

Lets see, we have a dynamic young PF in Griffin, a quality PF with upside in Mo, a solid, dependable PF in Kenny, a potential franchise center in Yao, and an athletic, shot-blocking and rebounding center in Cato, but we need to trade our #2 scorer to get a big man? Huh!?

<b>We might win a few more games next year but that team won't ever be in serious contention.</b>

Well duh, we're REBUILDING!

<b>I think Ming and Francis might be a solid core, but we definitely need a tough, enforcer/ rebouder at PF, like a Ben Wallace, Danny Fortson.</b>

That's Griffin, KT, Cato and Mo's job. This team is fine. They're deep, talented, and loaded at every position.

#7 RocksMillenium, Aug 16, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  8. aznlincolnpark

It is a new start for the Rox this coming season.... :D

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Austin Rocket :- Where have you been, you sound about 6 mts behind. Such as lot has gone on, just look back in the BBS records!

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Duh.

The Rockets have been poorly run since the rebuilding phase has started in the 99-00 season.

The Rockets before, were one of the best organizations from top to bottom.

Hopefully we can go back to our old form.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Somehow, I'm not suprised with your statement.

I'm learning rather quickly. :)

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

One thing that they can improve on is clamping down on their Players spouting their mouth off about Company Business. There has been a sort of lack of self dicipline and comradship among the players and you know who I blame that on. The leader of course:( :eek:

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

That's right, I don't kiss anyone's ass. I admit I am pessimistic, but at the same hand I believe I have a more objective opinion about the Rockets, than people like heypartner who fool themselves into thinking the Rockets are the greatest team on the court.

14. Stevie Francis

all gm's make mistakes

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

Every team makes mistakes. Even if you consider Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato overpaid and worthless, just remember it could be much worse. The Rockets could be stuck with Shawn Kemp and Bryant Reeves. For the production they provide (not to mention their size), Taylor and Cato aren't all that bad nor that overpaid.

To win big, you have to take the big risks. Was Kobe Bryant a sure thing coming out of high school? Of course not. But without taking the chance on him, Shaq and the Lakers are still waiting to win a title. Scottie Pippen? Coming from a div. III school into the NBA is a huge jump; without him, though, the Bulls don't win nearly as many titles. I could go back, but I think those two pretty well illustrate the point.

Griffin is going to be one of the best players from the 2001 draft. He showed flashes of what he can do this past season and should show even more of those next year. After all, he's only about 20 years old - what more do you expect? Yao Ming is a risk 27 other teams (minus the Lakers) would've taken in a heartbeat.

Winning teams are typically comprised of one-two superstars, multiple stars, and a good bench. The way the Rockets are set up right now, entering the final phases of rebuilding, they have one superstar already in Francis, another star in Mobley, and two budding stars in Griffin and Ming. With good role players filling out the roster, such as Rice, Nachbar, Norris, Taylor, Thomas, and Cato, the Rockets are well on their way to becoming a force in the West rather quickly.

And, if Ming and Griffin don't work out...just remember that the rest of the NBA would've jumped quickly at the chance to have both players on their roster and in their developmental system. Think big...dream big...win big. That's how the NBA works. Have faith in management and, as time has shown, that faith will be rewarded. For all but a few teams in the NBA, that usually works.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Oh yeah, poorly run, starting in 99-00. Isn't that the year the Rockets went from losing Hall-of-Fame players Scottie Pippen and Charles Barkley, to trading a back-up PF in Othella Harrington and a solid 2-guard in Michael Dickerson, and garbage for a franchise PG? Then signed a young, solid PF Mo Taylor. And then a year later traded for a lottery pick and a franchise player Eddie Griffin? Then a year later got ANOTHER potential franchise player Yao Ming? Oh yeah this franchise is REALLY poorly run. So poorly run that a few months ago Kevin Garnett listed the Rockets as one of his top choices to go to if they were to trade him. Antonio McDyess has said he would have signed with the Rockets during the lock out year if he had known they would have Francis and Mobley a year later. But this franchise is poorly run. Ok.